Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Share Your Shots

Share Your Shots Share With us Your Favorite Shots

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Poddy Bream

From zero to hero: surf coast breamin'

Well I thought I should finally post up some pics after lingering on the bream master forum for a while. (hoping pics work as im uploading using iphone). Originally a yellowfin fisho from Sydney, my partner and I made the move to the Victorian surf coast in October 2012. Having never fished for black bream I was absolutely pumped about getting a chance to finally catch a decent sized bream over 40cm. After making the move south I spent the first few days sussing out some potential fishing locations and before you know it I'm out fishing what looks to be a promising spot, only to be served with a big doughnut. yellowfin techniques didnt work so i did the walk of shame home thinking about my next attempt.

2nd attempt I decided to change location and use much lighter jigheads. Tied on a Z-man grub in bloodworm for the first time ever, 5 casts later and I was on to my first ever black bream. Heart was pumping as I knew it was a big fish, few minutes later I get a first look at my prized catch- this was bigger than any YF I had ever caught. Got the fish within 2 metres and the hooks pulled absolutely devastated. The next 2 fishing expeditions resulted in 2 more bream around 37-38cm having the hooks pulled at point blank range. I was still fish less even though I felt like I had successfully lured and battled with several black bream.

Eventually my time came. After changing over to TT jigheads I landed my first ever black bream. Not a monster at 32cm but I didn't care:

After getting the black bream monkey off my back I caught several more fish over the recent months using mainly Berkley sandworms;

Including my first 40cm encounter;

Few more using the sandworm. It was working so I couldn't stop using it

After a while i got sick of catching fish on the same scented plastic so I tried out a madeye Whippy worm which helped me land my biggest fish yet 42.5cm;

My luck on the Whippy worm faded so time for something different. zman grubs got a swim and have proven very handy where I eventually found a spot with a lure retrieve that would consistently catch fish all around the 35-37cm mark

Including my first EP (caught NSW)

Last few months has proved difficult so I have been back on the sandworms;

Few more fish have been caught on bloodworm zman grubs and recently on the bait breathe crabs. Hoping to use hard bodies more often in the future with more success, having only caught small rats with em so far.
Plenty more bigger bream I have yet to go toe-to-toe with, so hopefully I can post some more pics in the future

Cheers Al
Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 AM
Mature Bream

Great work mate, some cracker fish from a few great systems there.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Poddy Bream

Cheers mate! I've still got plenty of systems to explore yet so hopefully I'll come across a few of the bigger bruisers in the future. Just need to save for a yak!!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Blue Lip

Nice work Dude, might see you around the traps. Your Al yeah???

Just remember the surf coast bream mafia are watching to ensure that locations are never mentioned online hahahaha

Well done, some nice fish!!!

CHECK THIS.......

http://www.facebook.com/BreaminNPerchin
Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 AM
Big Bream

It looks like you're getting to know our local bream quite nicely.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Blue Lip

Now windy, you be quiet hahahahaha

CHECK THIS.......

http://www.facebook.com/BreaminNPerchin
Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Poddy Bream

Haha yeah squidlipz I was very careful not to mention locations have already learnt the hard way giving details to a fisherman only to find him and his mates smashing my spot for a whole week haha amateur mistake but won't do it again. I've been hanging on to these pics for months purely so I don't give away too much yeah I'm Al, has word been getting round that I'm abusing the systems? Haha

Cheers windknot it's taken a while but I've still got plenty of learning to do!

Hope to bump into a few of you

Cheers Al
Old 14-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bream_Seeker View Post
Well I thought I should finally post up some pics after lingering on the bream master forum for a while. (hoping pics work as im uploading using iphone). Originally a yellowfin fisho from Sydney, my partner and I made the move to the Victorian surf coast in October 2012. Having never fished for black bream I was absolutely pumped about getting a chance to finally catch a decent sized bream over 40cm. After making the move south I spent the first few days sussing out some potential fishing locations and before you know it I'm out fishing what looks to be a promising spot, only to be served with a big doughnut. yellowfin techniques didnt work so i did the walk of shame home thinking about my next attempt.

2nd attempt I decided to change location and use much lighter jigheads. Tied on a Z-man grub in bloodworm for the first time ever, 5 casts later and I was on to my first ever black bream. Heart was pumping as I knew it was a big fish, few minutes later I get a first look at my prized catch- this was bigger than any YF I had ever caught. Got the fish within 2 metres and the hooks pulled absolutely devastated. The next 2 fishing expeditions resulted in 2 more bream around 37-38cm having the hooks pulled at point blank range. I was still fish less even though I felt like I had successfully lured and battled with several black bream.

Eventually my time came. After changing over to TT jigheads I landed my first ever black bream. Not a monster at 32cm but I didn't care:

After getting the black bream monkey off my back I caught several more fish over the recent months using mainly Berkley sandworms;

Including my first 40cm encounter;

Few more using the sandworm. It was working so I couldn't stop using it

After a while i got sick of catching fish on the same scented plastic so I tried out a madeye Whippy worm which helped me land my biggest fish yet 42.5cm;

My luck on the Whippy worm faded so time for something different. zman grubs got a swim and have proven very handy where I eventually found a spot with a lure retrieve that would consistently catch fish all around the 35-37cm mark

Including my first EP (caught NSW)

Last few months has proved difficult so I have been back on the sandworms;

Few more fish have been caught on bloodworm zman grubs and recently on the bait breathe crabs. Hoping to use hard bodies more often in the future with more success, having only caught small rats with em so far.
Plenty more bigger bream I have yet to go toe-to-toe with, so hopefully I can post some more pics in the future

Cheers Al
Good stuff bud, well done
Old 20-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Poddy Bream

Great photos and good fish mate!
Old 20-02-2014, 02:33 AM
Big Bream

Unfortunately, now there aren't any bream at all in the location where most of those photos were taken. It brings back sad memories for me, as that particular estuary was very close to where I live and it is now completely dead, thanks largely to a huge multinational corporation. It's going to take years for it to get back to normal again and it will require new populations to come into the estuary from the ocean, when the water quality is adequate.
Old 20-02-2014, 03:42 AM
Poddy Bream

Surf Coast Bream

Well it may become interesting. With the impending closure of the ‘large multinational’, whether the range of possible cause(s) of the recurrent fish-kills of recent years in that system become more focused (on a certain activity/industry).
We will just have to wait and see!
Cheers,
Pheonix..
Old 20-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Mature Bream

they dug out the old sea wall under the mouth recently but i can't see any noticable difference.... I thought they were going to permanently open the mouth with a deeper channel to get some tidal flow into the system and also give the fish a chance to get out???

there was a study into the fish kills and they didn't blame alcoa, they thought that river levels dropping exposed some swampy areas to air, which then reacted causing toxic release into the water.

Fish certainly come back into that system after these events - I recall catching fish only 6 months after dead fish littered the banks few years ago

Even when alcoa closes, its most likely that the power station will be sold and continue to run anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: