Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 28-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbreamman View Post
I am not sure why everyone has such an issue with the town launch in Mandurah ?
It's the best location to have 30+ boats from. Pretty sure I've the last few years there has been plenty of big fish as well as placing and wins from town.

It is not feasible to have it on the river unless you capped they entries.

Personally I love the two day comps on the south coast even if it is tougher to get fish on day two it's well worth the effort!!

I would also like to see more abt style event Be happy to see it on swan or Mandurah

Look at the numbers of the Wata rounds 18-30 boats with the last one in Albany only 13

I think the real problem with the lack of numbers is the crowd that have been around for years are sort of dropping off or not fishing every event and the young guys who have yaks just don't have boats or The ability to barrow one and step up in to the boat fields
There is a stretch in the Serpentine that can hold 30+ boats, near the mouth were the 2 boat ramps are. If you can't cross the Mandurah estuary due to bad weather I would rather be stuck in the rivers than town canals. Plus the Serpy is more central.
Old 29-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Big Bream

It'll be interesting to see what Colin has to say, he normally hits the nail on the head.

Last edited by John Osborne; 29-05-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 29-05-2016, 01:00 AM
Big Bream

Throw an odd ball classic in, an electric only comp or something to spice things up.
Old 29-05-2016, 05:20 AM
Blue Lip

Oli no offence mate but your last post you openly said its to far to drive up for a classic?

pb 47cm placcies Murray River
pb 44cm hards Murray River
Old 29-05-2016, 10:54 PM
Administrator

It seems a few are interested in the results of the survey and a few of its key questions.

Total surveys completed was 78

How many rounds would you like to fish over a year excluding the Grand Final?

Kayak 4 rounds + Grand Final (GF)

10.39%

Kayak 5 Rounds + GF

16.88%

Kayak6 Rounds + GF

25.97%

Boat 4 Rounds + GF

20.78%

Boat 5 Rounds + GF

23.38%

Boat 6 rounds + GF

28.57%

Responses
Other (please specify)

6.49%
Total Respondents: 77

To fish a one day classic style event how far would you be prepared to travel?

half an hour

1.28%

one hour

11.54%

two hours

26.92%

three hours

23.08%

four hours

37.18%

Total 78

For The Grand Final would you prefer?

A one day event in the metro (Perth / Mandurah)

11.54%

A one Day event on a south coast river

8.97%

A two day event metro (Perth / Mandurah)

24.36%

A two Day event on a south coast river

52.56%

Responses
Other (please specify)

2.56%
Total 78

So on the most part we tried to fulfill the wishes of the majority, however the truth is in some instances there is nothing we can do about what we have.

The bottom line is that there are only a few rivers here in WA and no matter what we do we will not be getting any more in the near future. So we have to work with what we have.

When we have events, there are actually a lot of hoops that we have to jump through and getting permission to use certain areas changes depending on where it is. A beach is the first consideration with close by amenities, we are not allowed to use areas close to or at public boat ramps. Many suitable locations are unfortunately just too expensive to use.

The Mandurah rounds for the boats there is no better venue than the offshore fishing and sailing club, it is a great location, the venue is perfect and they are also very accommodating and easy to work with. There are no other areas that we can use for boat events with 30+ boats.

37% of the surveys said they would travel 4 hrs for a one day event. Given the logistics of a day comp 4 hrs away we would require 30-40 boats, and while this is certainly achievable when the date is set we would anticipate that the actual numbers entering would be lower than the 37% therefore not viable, in the past we also had WABA running south coast comps, we were very conscious of not encroaching on their events or waters as they likewise chose not to add extra pressure to the waters we fish for the classics.

However we decided that if there were to be events on the south coast it would be best to make it the Grand Final to give everyone something to really challenge themselves to get to.

In the end this is a tournament! It is about catching fish at any time in any given weather or water condition on any given water body. Adapting to the conditions of the day is the key to being a versatile angler.

The prizes and cash will go to those that catch the fish on the day. As long as there are fish caught the prizes will go off anyway.

While tournament fishing is not for everyone it is certainly a very rewarding way to fish, it puts pressure on a day and pushes you to be a better angler, most times in more ways than just bream fishing.

If you already fish the comps, again we thank you. If you are thinking about having a go? Just do it.

If you know people with comp ready boats that are keen on their bream fishing, maybe have a chat and see if you can get them to come and have a go, as you are well aware they will have a good day no matter what...

If you have any questions or queries or suggestions for weigh in locations I would appreciate your e mail wafm@westnet.com.au
Old 30-05-2016, 04:09 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks Sewelly
Very well presented explanation !!!
Old 30-05-2016, 04:54 AM
Mature Bream

Cheers Ian for the response.
Old 30-05-2016, 05:26 AM
Administrator

I forgot to mention that the number of comps that people wanted were higher than what we ended up doing, the main factor behind this was behind the scenes we were working hard with ABT and Hobie to also run their two day events on their behalf here on the west coast.

We managed to secure the two Hobie events which was a great outcome.

I was also pretty keen for two ABT events however got knocked back to one and given the support I am pretty glad that the first year back was just the one event.

Hopefully if we can manage to secure the ABT event for next year it will be better attended now that people know what to expect, how much it costs, and what is expected and how much you can learn in a single day on the water by fishing the random pairing system.

Thanks again!
Old 30-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Mature Bream

Great feedback on the survey Ian. Just hope that we get another boat Abt event next year and we have more than 20 boats.

I think that the current economic climate may also be affecting boat numbers for the boat events.

Keep doing what you are doing and hopefully everyone get behind you and the WAFM crew to make the events bigger and better in the future.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:30 AM
Mature Bream

With only 2 boat rounds next year maybe it's a good time to re-jig the calender.
It would be good to start the season in October/November and finish with the GF in May/June. Just my thoughts as a summer series may attract more numbers.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 AM
Big Bream

Now that's a good idea, and bring back the trailering option for Mandurah, the lack of it is doing more harm than good.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Blue Lip

Summer series would be good but it would mean waiting a year for the season to start after this one has ended ,,long wait .

It's all recession driven the low numbers in the boats I believe , folks are selling right and left , we are picking up a few as they purchase a kayak but it will take a couple years to get the numbers back up to a pleasing level .

Great to see the kayaks still going strong .
Old 06-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Blue Lip

Some people prefer to do comps in warmer weather
Some would like to see a flathead round maybe
Some like to trailer , etc..
Some would like to know you can only take one win in a comp year ..

Cant please everyone.

My name is "some"...
Old 06-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Big Bream

very interesting point that last one.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Administrator

What that Szarns name is actually some or "You can't please everyone!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: