Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > Campers, Tents and More

Campers, Tents and More Brands, styles what do you want to make your home away from home?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Blue Lip

Swag of choice!

Really need to get one... Don't know where to start!

So what is your swag of choice?

What would you recommend?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Blue Lip

Spend the most you can afford, then a bit more.
I really stretched my budget when i bought mine but have never regretted it. Especially when its pouring with rain and my mates cheaper swag is leaking

Mine is a burke and willis. 10 years and still going strong

Australian Designed and Owned
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Mature Bream

If you are considering spending less than $300 then you probably aren't spending enough.

I bought a 'Mitchell' by Oztrail for $180. For what it is, it does me fine but it's not real good quality.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Blue Lip

Chief says boab superdome swag
He's snoring like a bear right now
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Mature Bream

I just recently got one of these.

http://www.outbackcampers.com.au/bug...anvas-swag.asp

Been using a mates one (same brand and model) previously on a number of trips, and they have always been awesome, warm in winter and plenty of ventilation if its hot.

The canvas they use is really heavy duty. Hope that helps.

VISIT MY BLOG : www.indepthangler.com LIKE US ON FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/indepthangler
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Poddy Bream

Gee this is an exhaustive subject which needs to be taken seriously!!
you need to seriously consider your application !!
trust me i experienced it all !
I don`t have time now to go through all the plus`s and downsides but there are more downsides to swags that positive`s !!
you need to start to consider a few things

1/ Weather !!! -- is it going to rain and when ?
*how do i enter the swag in the rain
*where do i put the wet raincoat, muddy boots etc.
*how do i get undressed and where do i put my cloths ?
*if you choose a dome type swag and it cold outside the condensation will drop from the roof and wet you inside out !
*how do you dry out a wet swag ready for the next night if its still raining
* you need to get up in the middle of the night for a nature call -- hmm now i need to find those muddy wet boots ,put the wet rain coat back on then exit and slip around outside and start the whole process again !

now add a cold zero temperature night with a heavy frost and now the wet cloths are starting to freeze !!
starting to get the picture ??

3/ Insects -- Creatures of the night-You need protection from these !! spiders(Funnel webs Spiders and some snakes move around at night),ants ,snakes ,mosquitoes,sand flys, March flys ,Black flys

4/ Is this swag for two -if so triple the drama

5/ How much room do you have ??
am i catching a plane ?
4/ If you have the room (and you don`t need too much extra) this is what i would advise and is a good compromise

buy the swag of your choice
buy a good quality 2 man dome type tent with a reasonable versible to drop the wet weather gear and boots off before entering the dry section of the tent.get changed and into bed in your own time .
put the swag in the tent (now your safe from those annoying insects)
even better if you can fit in a fold up camp stretcher to put the swag on up away from the damp floor and easy to get in and out of bed .
set the tent up as if you expect a storm before you go to bed that way no need to get up and tie the tent down in the middle of the night if the wind comes up.

I do have a swag but rarely use it -I frequently use a Freedom center pole tent (safari tent) Quality stretcher, self inflating 100mm mattress and sleeping bag .i can easily spend two weeks in it !!

anyway hope that is of help its only my opinion from too many unexpected cold and wet nights out in the bush!
cheers from the west
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Gee this is an exhaustive subject which needs to be taken seriously!!
you need to seriously consider your application !!
trust me i experienced it all !
I don`t have time now to go through all the plus`s and downsides but there are more downsides to swags that positive`s !!
you need to start to consider a few things

1/ Weather !!! -- is it going to rain and when ?
*how do i enter the swag in the rain
*where do i put the wet raincoat, muddy boots etc.
*how do i get undressed and where do i put my cloths ?
*if you choose a dome type swag and it cold outside the condensation will drop from the roof and wet you inside out !
*how do you dry out a wet swag ready for the next night if its still raining
* you need to get up in the middle of the night for a nature call -- hmm now i need to find those muddy wet boots ,put the wet rain coat back on then exit and slip around outside and start the whole process again !

now add a cold zero temperature night with a heavy frost and now the wet cloths are starting to freeze !!
starting to get the picture ??

3/ Insects -- Creatures of the night-You need protection from these !! spiders(Funnel webs Spiders and some snakes move around at night),ants ,snakes ,mosquitoes,sand flys, March flys ,Black flys

4/ Is this swag for two -if so triple the drama

5/ How much room do you have ??
am i catching a plane ?
4/ If you have the room (and you don`t need too much extra) this is what i would advise and is a good compromise

buy the swag of your choice
buy a good quality 2 man dome type tent with a reasonable versible to drop the wet weather gear and boots off before entering the dry section of the tent.get changed and into bed in your own time .
put the swag in the tent (now your safe from those annoying insects)
even better if you can fit in a fold up camp stretcher to put the swag on up away from the damp floor and easy to get in and out of bed .
set the tent up as if you expect a storm before you go to bed that way no need to get up and tie the tent down in the middle of the night if the wind comes up.

I do have a swag but rarely use it -I frequently use a Freedom center pole tent (safari tent) Quality stretcher, self inflating 100mm mattress and sleeping bag .i can easily spend two weeks in it !!

anyway hope that is of help its only my opinion from too many unexpected cold and wet nights out in the bush!
cheers from the west
These are excellent points and swags do have more downsides than positives. They had their place 30 years ago but with the advent of materials like goretex, swags are a hassle. I remember my first one, weight over 10kgs and took up half the boot space in my car. Now I use one of these which weighs under a kilo.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/campi...ivy-green.html

A small tent is a sweet option too. Got a MAcpac microlight 1 man tent for my 16th birthday (almost 15 years ago and is indestructible) and it is excellent too. Has a little covered area for you to leave wet clothes and a few bits and pieces.

http://www.macpac.com.au/microlight.html

I loved my swag but when I replaced it with the above 2 items I was stoked and I would never buy a swag again.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Big Bream

Burke and wills for me, no thrills A frame design, bit of mozzie net to keep bugs out. Tuff as nails, nice and simple. If its gonna rain ill take a tent.

My swag for two is a dome style with a PVC base, I'll float down the river in this thing it's that water tight. Storm flaps that over lay all the zips is a big bonus.

If you want a summer swag go basic and tough, if you want a winter swag go bells and whistles. Either way thick canvas is a must of longativity, swags never have an easy life.

If its cold, bury Hot coles in the dirt and put your swag on top.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Big Bream

Got mine custom made from a canvas company nearly 20 years ago. 12oz canvas, pvc bottom and the top has a blanket layer sewed inside. Great swag and cost about $300 back then..
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 AM
Blue Lip

Clay,

I'd check out the light weight hiking styled tents. Ultra quick to put up, takes bugger all room up in storage and weights nothing.

The good ones, which are basically cyclone proof (ok, maybe not that good) aren't cheap but they offer protection in all weather and give you a bit more room for your gear that a swag doesn't.

As a negative though, they do require a bit more room to pitch it, as with a swag you can basically roll one out on the front casting deck of a boat and sleep there for the night...

www.crankalures.com
Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 AM
Big Bream

I got mine from here http://www.mrswagman.com.au/ & very impressed with it.
Was about $400 from memory a couple of years back now.
I got it custom built so it was wider with thicker base etc & nice & long for my big arse.
Just wish I got out to use it more to be honest.

Kayak PB's - Rainbow Trout 43cm - Bream 41cm - Flathead 55cm - Tailor 60+cm - Flounder 44cm - Sand Whiting 31cm - KGW 35cm - Mangrove Jack 33cm.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Big Bream

hatch, I've had mine for years, still waterproof & the only change has been the mattress. Snowy Mountain Rug Co in Mansfield made it. They have since made a few changes to improve their designs. They will also custom make to fit your requirements - length, width, mattress, 1,2 3 ppl sizes etc.
http://www.snowymountainrugco.com.au/swags/
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 AM
Mature Bream

Hi mate, I've got a jettent bunker. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Heres a link to it on the oztent website;

http://www.oztent.com/jet-tents/jet-...r#.UV1bWVbEx3w

http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ker-by-Oz-tent

Removable water proof fly, Takes about 20 seconds to set up/pack up into a small bag; and by far the greatest feature is its off the ground and has side acces so no dragging sand into your swag on entry. They go for around the $500 mark and come with 2 year warranty.

I know its alot of money but I.M.O its better to spend that little bit more than having to fix/replace every few years. Goodluck with your search theres certainly plenty of options out there
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Hi mate, I've got a jettent bunker. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Heres a link to it on the oztent website;

http://www.oztent.com/jet-tents/jet-...r#.UV1bWVbEx3w

http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showth...ker-by-Oz-tent

Removable water proof fly, Takes about 20 seconds to set up/pack up into a small bag; and by far the greatest feature is its off the ground and has side acces so no dragging sand into your swag on entry. They go for around the $500 mark and come with 2 year warranty.

I know its alot of money but I.M.O its better to spend that little bit more than having to fix/replace every few years. Goodluck with your search theres certainly plenty of options out there
That is the bomb shelter of swags! Mint.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Blue Lip

Burke and Wills for me too, lay the tailgate of my ute down, roll out the swag in the tray, poles in and its time too sleep....perfect for those 2am arrivals in Gippy when I have left after work.
Sun comes up, fold the poles down, tailgate up, tonneau cover on and its time to put the boat in the water and catch some fish!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: