Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Big Bream

Nrx/glx or battler

Hi guys I'm looking to get a new snapper setup and I want to get something that I won't feel like replacing in 12 months ,
I have heard good reviews on both but I'm just wondering about sensitivity and components ect any feedback would be great,
I have always been a shimano/loomis man but if it's worth it I will cross to the daiwa side

Thanks guys
Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Mature Bream

Have NRX and Battler.

Prefer NRX for power and sensitivity. It's deceptively thin for how much power it has. Also has a better bend and cork grips.

Battler is nice but mostly due to the AGS guides.Comes across as a thicker rod with a thicker tip. It is a bit more balanced than the NRX. Sensitivity is good on the black grip Battlers but noticeably less than the NRX. The new camo grips are even less sensitive.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Blue Lip

I used to churn thru rods and reels flat out always after something better, I had an NRX 852 and I found it a beast of a rod super stiff and I knocked some average snapper, big salmon and bonito etc over easy. The recoils weren't super friendly with leader knots but I wasn't using an fg back then.
However once the battlers came out I got a power junkie to replace it, was a shimano man but it was way nicer! Just loved the finish of the rod, ags, and the action really nice.
I've got a couple of the battlers as bream rods nearly 4 years later I'm still loving them I'll never part with them.

Last edited by matt jorg; 05-09-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 PM
Mature Bream

Similar story to me. I got the NRX first, then the power junkie a year later but have since gone back to the NRX. I still have that Battler and a host of other AGS rods in spin and BC. Beowolf, Hot dog, Hornet, Commander avenger currently and a few more previously that I offloaded (electric straw berry, feral kat, water zombie to name a few). The finish (ribbed unsanded wrap) is not unique to the battlers however as even the lower models like Black Label had it.

Can't go wrong with either however, both nice rods. The black ribbed wrapped battlers however are superior to the new camo ones IMO. They feel dead in the hand and don't have that glass cannon high performance feel.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Big Bream

Thanks for the reply guys what reels did you have on the nrx and battler, I'm definitely a Stella man but the is just something about high end daiwa reels are so tempting!!! Branzino ect
Old 07-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Blue Lip

My opinion: NRX blanks are better and more sensitive than Daiwa blanks but where Loomis loses out to the JDM crew is the bling. The finish and componentry on Loomis are OK without being spectacular whereas JDMs tend to go overboard with components and finish.
Comes down to what you'd prefer... more sensitivity less bling or less sensitivity but a beauty of a thing to look at.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
My opinion: NRX blanks are better and more sensitive than Daiwa blanks but where Loomis loses out to the JDM crew is the bling. The finish and componentry on Loomis are OK without being spectacular whereas JDMs tend to go overboard with components and finish.
Comes down to what you'd prefer... more sensitivity less bling or less sensitivity but a beauty of a thing to look at.
Haha I agree but I do love love the classic cork look, then again the battlers are a nice looking piece of kit
Old 07-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Blue Lip

Not sure if it is in all the NRX models, but the NRX (that I have) have a split grip arrangement which is different from their traditional full cork grips on the GLX, IMX etc..

I think sensitivity on the heavier line class models are a little overrated. If you're targeting big snapper, kings, tuna etc, those things aren't going to mouth the lure tentatively and spit it out without you realising it. They're more likely going to yank the rod nearly out of your hand when they hit and you don't need it to be sensitive to feel that. Where it comes into play is being able to feel what your lure is doing, whether its vibrating normally, whether you've hit something on the bottom or whether you have snagged some weed.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGeyer91 View Post
Thanks for the reply guys what reels did you have on the nrx and battler, I'm definitely a Stella man but the is just something about high end daiwa reels are so tempting!!! Branzino ect
I have Stella FE and FI (alternate both 2500 size) on the NRX and currently Stella FI on the Battler Power Junkie. I did have a 2014 Morethan 2510R-Pe on the Junkie but it was too heavy as a combo (and laborious to hop plastics) and the Morethan wasn't very smooth. I find the new style bent body Shimanos balance better than the Daiwas in the 2500 size and above due to the weight distribution I get less wrist fatigue. I'm using a Twinpower 4000HG and preferred it over a Certate/Morethan 3012H on a Hotdog AGS. For my bream gear, it is the opposite. I like using Daiwa 2000's more. I'm currently using 2015 Exist 2003F on the Beowolf. Before that, it was an Ignis 2003F which is another awesome bream reel except for the paint issues. Ignis has a nice look and a loud metallic sounding drag.

Last edited by gsenaeef67; 10-09-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 27-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Big Bream

NRX all the way .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: