Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 20-05-2003, 07:12 AM

Question Rod Lengh

Hi

What is a good rod lengh to use for spinning for bream??

Daniel
Old 20-05-2003, 07:31 AM
Poddy Bream

In my opinion a 6'6" is about average but I wouldnt go much lower than 6'(there are some guys in here who prefer the 5'6"). If your shore Based you would probably need a longer rod for a further casting distance but in the end it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
Old 20-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Mature Bream

There is some argument on this point - generally rods between 6' and 7' are used for bream spinning, on the shorter end usually if you're mainly fishing from a boat, and on the longer end usually if you're specifically fishing from shore.

There does, however, tend to be a trend starting amongst members of this forum to move towards slightly longer rods for all applications, for better casting distance and fish controlling ability.

I myself am happy with my 6'6" rod, a happy medium. It does, however, have an ultra short butt, and so the usable section of the rod for playing fish and casting (reel upwards) is more like the length of a 7' rod, with a normal butt.

All the best.
Old 20-05-2003, 07:47 AM
Fishing Tragic

6' to 6'6" seems to be the way to go for hards. I have recently converted over to 7' for plastics.

I have short butts on all of my rods. Makes life a lot easier.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 20-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Mature Bream

Yep, I'm a convert. Short butts all the way. After the work I had done, I've basically got a new rod. Looks sweet. Wish I had a digital camera. Fishes like a dream.
Old 20-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Poddy Bream

definately go longer.

i have had several bream spinning rods in my time, starting with 6'2" ultra light powertips to my current 7' custom job.

after upgrading to the longer, high modulus graphite, i simply can't be happy enough. from the shore & from the boat. 7' seems perfect for just about all my bream spinning exploits.

longer rods have several advantages:

-more line control. greater lift and drop with less wrist movement allows for greater presentation. especially for sp's. better gain.

-greater casting distance. laws of physics dictate this. especially important with ultra light jigs/lures needed for bream spinning.longer casts mean covering more ground (flats fishing)

-better control when fighting fish around structure, boat engines etc.

-fishing in conjunction with the new "no-stretch" braided lines means that a long, more forgiving rod will pull less hooks.

with the advent of graphite rods the longer doesn't necessarily need to be heavy, it's definately the go.
i'm even thinking of going up a notch to 7'4" - 7'6". i hear they are especially efficient when working from the shore.

short butts are also great when twitching small lures. just don't have any larger fish with prolonged fight times in mind. my bream spinning stick doubles for catching inshore pelagics. a previous one-hand version was an absolute pain for fighting sambo's and rat kings with. i now have around 20cm on the butt, a happy medium. (also good for those ultra long double-handed casts.

hope this helps,

alex

more fish=more fun, take every inch you can get!
Old 21-05-2003, 08:52 AM

Short Butts

Hi

The information helped thanks. But with the thing about short butts, do you buy rods with short buts or modify the rods your self??

Daniel
Old 21-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Fishing Tragic

Damien,
All of the Bream Reapers have short butts. No messing around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7\'b.jpg (40.5 KB, 106 views)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg