Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members If you have just registered, pop in here to meet the gang.

Old 23-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Hyper Tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPopper View Post
I went into Billfisher ... where's the Zipbaits ? Oh we don't carry them anymore ... I just shook my head. If your a premium shop in Melbourne you have to stock Zippy's IMHO. I get mine from my local after I gave them Mark's number and virtually forced them to order them. Now they sell out of them regularly. But no c-bream in the good colors ..... why this lure isn't selling is beyond me its far better then a vibe for bottom fishing.
Billfisher has never have stocked ZipBaits, I have contacted them on many occasions trying to get them to stock without success still banging my head against a brick wall same goes for many others thats why I have no problem at all supplying Online shops and if we hadn't I very much doubt we'd still be in business

Also a big thanks for getting your local to stock and like you said he obviously turns over a few because we are getting follow up orders from him.

Mark

Last edited by Hyper Tackle; 23-02-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 24-02-2010, 03:03 AM
Mature Bream

As someone who's fifty this year and has been buying tackle for over forty years I don't buy the line that online stores send you local broke.The stores I frequented in the seventies weren't around come the eighties and the stores in the eighties weren't there in the nineties, it's just a fact there is a high turnover in the fishing tackle industry as any fool who willing to work sixty hour a week can have his own store.
Why do I shop online? cause it quicker to get something from the other side of the planet than five clicks down the road, the ability of most stores to do special orders is absolutely pathetic for whatever reason.
Old 24-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Fingerling

Thanks to all for your views, most on the money...some not

I'm not against online shops, some of the products I'm associated with can be bought online and some unfortunatley have been completely bastardised aswell (hence the question). I also suggest to stores they should consider going online if to stay in the game, some know, some listen, some don't.

After reading all the posts it is without question that affordability is the key component in purchasing online, which is not such a suprise. However, I have for some years now been in the ears of the retailers spouting the addage that service is the number one product for sale in their store and I still hold that to be true, contrary to the above.

I would also imagine that if I asked any retailer over the next few days "did you read the thread I started on Bream Master the other day regarding online buying?" the answer would mostly be "No, I dont spend time on chat-rooms". maybe there is a lesson for them here? Not to offend any

I visit over 100 tackle shops a month and for the most part, they are doing their best to provide competitive pricing. And yes, there are a few going ott on margins. However, they have huge overheads that must be paid for directly from turnover. And I know that modern independent tackle stores are not a get rich quick scheme. I also know that commitment FROM customers buys savings from a good tackle shop. Don't be afraid to hit em up!

The sad fact is, the 'cream' for the tackle shops used to come from the punter and people starting off - the $100 market. This cream has been usurped by major chains such as Kmart, Big W, and now again with DohDohDoh. That equalls diminished returns on investment by store owners leading to bigger margins to compensate, as is the case in point.

One might think that bait is a product not online and a savior for tackle shops, it doesnt need to be, its at every servo!

Sorry to be long winded... and I don't think I can make the world change, but I hope I can make the world think about the changes it makes.

Thanx for the input guys, happy fishn
Old 24-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Fingerling

The stores I frequented in the seventies weren't around come the eighties and the stores in the eighties weren't there in the nineties, it's just a fact there is a high turnover in the fishing tackle industry.

Speak to the iconic stores that have been around for decades, albeit different owners, and they will all agree its getting tuffer. I'm not saying that online will send the local broke, there are a bucket load of other variables such as poor management, over supply, marine parks (dare I mention it), global economy just to name a few. However, it HAS become a major player like it or not.

Cheers
Old 24-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Mature Bream

I will buy line, lures ect locally because if you know where to look the price differences aren't really huge.

Rods I like to get a feel for before I buy them so probably half the rods I have were bought at a tackle shop the other half I was willing to take the risk to due to the savings (over $100 in every instance)

As for reels I wont even consider buying locally when the price difference is so big. I bought a Stella for $150 less than anywhere I looked, delivered to my door!
Lets not forget that a lot of models aren't available in Aus anyway ie. 2000 size Stella etc.

I try to shop locally but at the end of the day it comes down to price and if the locals cant compete I will go overseas. This is the problem in all areas of retail not just fishing shops.

All this being said if an Australian company would step up to the plate and manufacture comparative quality spinning/baitcasting reels (Made in Australia) I would be all over them!
Old 24-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Fingerling

Meh,
Yup, totally agree, but comparitve economic rationalism will bring a stunning holt to that idea unfortunately.

On a side note though, I consistantly see 'aussie made' products dusty and left on the shelf and the 'made in china' shelf half empty?

I too buy what I can afford and I can only afford to buy it once so I generally go the quality, but thats just me.
Old 24-02-2010, 04:05 AM
Mature Bream

An unfortunate reality, I know all too well.

I do think there is room in the higher end of the market for quality, at the end of the day manufacturing anything on a small scale (or at all) in Australia is in most cases prohibitively expensive.

Although I would love to see a small quantity ultra high quality Australian reel manufacturer.
Old 24-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Blue Lip

I needed 4 fd sustain handle knobs. Shimano aust said they only do the whole handle. I paid $60 and waited 12 weeks for two. My mate said email japan. They said that the early twinpower knobs fit. Aust said no and we cant sell you one. Japan said 'how many' and i got 2 for very little $ plus they sent one extra for free.

I dont buy online very often but when i do its only when i cant get the product here. I have bought bass pro rods before as you get a rod landed for $150 thats likely better than a $500 local rod. Im not paying big $ for bling and stupid little forgrips that look like cork testicals....BLING DOES NOT CATCH FISH....

I rarely buy reels or lures as my local campbells or complete angler usually have what i need or will get it quite fast.....

szarn

Last edited by bender; 26-02-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 25-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Blue Lip

It is with caution I weigh in on this... Firstly I don't thing any one is ripping anyone off. If you went and had a look at the opperators of online stores I bet they aren't driving ferrari's either. I honestly think that 95% of the tackle in industry do it for their love of the sport and not to become rich.

In my job I deal with most of the australian manufacturers/distributors both large and small. I also deal with retailers large and small. NO-ONE it making a killing on any of the products they sell. NO-ONE.

That being said, I shop online still. Albeit a lot less than I used to. I have a couple of Compleat Angler stores that I visit. Not because they are cheap or that most of the time they give me a discount. But I go there beacuse they know what they are talking about. Also they guys there are great and I consider them friends. Box Hill Compleat Angler and the Melbourne City Compleat Angler look after me and indulge my need to talk crap about fishing for half an hour before I buy $30-$100 worth of their gear. Yes I can get it for $2 cheaper at DohDohDoh and sometime i do, but more often than not I go in to "see the boys" at CA.

I used to buy a hellava lotta stuff off the net, braid, lures, reels, everything. I haven't needed to buy gear online for months.

For me it is about the service and convenience. There are some tackle stores in Melbourne that I browse when in the area but won't buy from them because the service is crappy. Box hill is close to my mates house and the City store is close to where I fish. It makes sense to me.

So you know Chris at Compleat Angler gave Patrick (Zipper) his first job. Patrick could have easily earned more money as a drug dealer or by selling his body (actually maybe not)... but now he doesn't need to. TACKLE STORES prevent child abuse and drug use in teens. SUPPORT YOUR TACKLE STORE!
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 25-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
Patrick could have easily earned more money as a drug dealer or by selling his body (actually maybe not)... TACKLE STORES prevent child abuse and drug use in teens.
Kind of extreme statement, don't you think Ross? Taking up apprenticeship or going to TAFE or a uni could have been an option.

But I know what you are trying to say.

On buying tackle: I frequented CA in the city whenever I could when I worked in the city. Always good to have a chat with Rudy and boys.
Now, I mainly buy online-cheaper, more convenient, don't have to drive far (not many tackle stores in close). Sometimes I buy some lures or plastics locally, even at KMart (squidgys). Would never buy rods / reels from the net-can't try them. But as some said previously, if the SOL can be had for $250 from the net but sells locally for $349, then it's the net that wins.
Cheers,
Alex

Monster Miki Addict

Last edited by Alex; 25-02-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Kind of extreme statement, don't you think Ross? Taking up apprenticeship or going to TAFE or a uni could have been an option.

But I know what you are trying to say.
Jokes But seriously guys like chris give guys like patrick an opportunity to have a great job working in a tackle store. Patrick could have gotten a job anywhere, and potentially earned more money doing it. But I doubt he would have called me a soon as he got the job as excited as he was. FYI he is still in YR12 and Chris fits his shifts in around that, which it more than a lot of employers would do.

On second thoughts Patrick would be a rubbish drug dealer. He would spend all his takings on tackle and reels and silly things like that and not on upgrading the meth lab or buying a new pill press.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 25-02-2010, 09:46 PM
gary mc

Quote:
Patrick could have easily earned more money as a drug dealer or by selling his body (actually maybe not)...
He could of done both, work in the tackle shop and sell drugs....

I work in a tackle shop, and I know how little mark up is on most stuff. On-line shop and chain shops (DohDohDoh) can sell cheaper because they can buy in bulk and get a better price. (by the way DohDohDoh and the like don't pass on the savings most of the time, 200%+ what a rip off)
Old 25-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Big Bream

DohDohDoh is not cheap.
They have the odd thing at a good price to get you in the door then make it back on everything else which is at around the same price or more than you can get it elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Mature Bream

I shop around and part of that shopping around includes the Internet. I'll buy locally if I believe I am getting value-for-money. And in "value-for-money" I also include service and assistance from the local tackle store. Of the five good stores that I can get to (read here: within 90 minutes drive), I tend to rotate around them because, to be honest, most of the staff couldn't give a crap about helping me with my fishing. Of all the staff in all the stores there are about four guys who, if they are working, I'll wait to be served by them and spend the cash. There are also some guys who, if they on duty, I will just walk about again as they are simply liers with no interest in providing a service. I have seen a number of local shops close down, citing internet buying and the BCFs of the world - when it is the local shop that has the advantage of providing staff with knowledge and adding that extra value through interaction and providing some advice and direction. That is the stuff I will pay for. And it surprises me that within a 90 minute drive there are only about 4 guys in a heap of shops who actually do that. So, in the meantime, I will continue to shop around find the best "value-for-money" for me.