Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Old 13-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Fingerling

New Project: 2007 4.0M Hornet

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 2007 Quintrex Hornet, fitted with a 25hp four stroke Suzuki outboard.

I am having a few dramas in deciding the best way to go about building a casting deck at the bow of the boat from the front seat to about 600mm off the rear seat so I can still sit with my feet on the floor while driving.

The result i am chasing is a casting deck from the front seat to just shy of the back seat with a live-well on one side of the deck and storage for tackle boxes, torches and things like that on the other. I was thinking about putting a rod locker in the boat but don't think i will have enough room?
I am going to use 12mm CD Structural ply.

I have looked at a few posts on this forum and although they have been very help full i still have a few questions.

1. Should I be building the frame for the casting deck out of aluminum?
2. If so, should i get it welded or just bolt it together?
3.Is there a better way of doing this to come up with as good an outcome if not better?

If anyone has any ideas please do not hesitate to fill me in, I am more than happy to hear everyone's feedback.

Thanks in Advance guys!!

Regards
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqFHJFYFEOwSFnloBRcc4Rr9+!~~60_57.jpg (187.5 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqQOKpcE6dvPB2ufBRcc4jVrSw~~60_57.jpg (253.0 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16FHJGgFFm5oBM53BRbdv6IQsQ~~60_57.jpg (207.2 KB, 381 views)
Old 13-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Mature Bream

Hey mate,

Welding an alloy structure will improve the strength of your boat/casting deck and keep the weight down over making it purely out of timber i.e 2x3 pine.

Some problems that you will encounter is, cost of getting it welded, removing the paint before welding commences and if you are going to cut all the pieces before the welding takes place you will need to ensure that they are labelled, with a rough drawing of where each piece belongs.

Bolting it together will cause dramas as you will need to manufacture gussets or weld flanges onto the alloy tubing to bolt it together.

This will be a costly adventure no matter which way you go. I have retro fitted a few boats over the years, however have the advantage of being an ex-sheetmetal tradie with access to welders and all forms of metal working machinery.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, a pic of one of my last boats that I fitted out. Started as a bare hull, probably close to 80hrs of work to get it on the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (64.6 KB, 363 views)
Old 13-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Mature Bream

hi mate, i have 400 hornet trophy w 30hp yamaha 2stroke. 2 bits of advice: keep everything in your boat as light as possible. it will get sluggish with decks, live well etc . next bit of advice is keep the weight distro central. if you put the live well to one side it will make the boat lean to one side. this will affect performance when on the water. your boat looks great and it will give you hours of fun on the water. good luck
Old 13-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Blue Lip

Nice Hornet there Rennie..

As Muzz has already said welding is your best option.. In saying that i have used aluminium angle and heavy duty rivets to secure the floor.. I owned the boat for over a year, and had no issue with the rivets popping or corroding.. You do have to really think about the ally supports and postion correctly..

Here is frame work i did...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.2 KB, 343 views)
Old 13-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Blue Lip

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.1 KB, 342 views)
Old 13-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Blue Lip

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.9 KB, 343 views)
Old 13-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Fingerling

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I was thinking along the lines of how you have done it crabcrusher...

I know a metal fabricator who is keen to do it for a carton of beer if i supply the angle or box aluminium...

Both of your boats are schmick! Did you put a livewell in your crabcrusher?

I was going to put the livewell either in the middle or to the right hand side as i have the electric motor, 100 Amp hour battery and the fuel tank on the right hand side of the boat and i will be sitting on the right, the majority of the time it will only be me in the boat fishing..

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks again!!
rennie
Old 13-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Blue Lip

Hi there Rennie

Yes i put a livewell in, but at the rear right corner.. It was an ok location due to weight,but was fairly balanced due to the fuel tank on the other side.

With smaller boats i would suggest you take out a couple of bags of sand to the weight of the well, so say 3 x 10kg bags.. And move them around to establish the best spot..Prior to plumbing the livetank..

It is amazing what even 20 can do to a boat if in the wrong spot...

Here is mythread from a few years back..

http://breammaster.com/forum/showthr...ht=Honey+horse

Cheers Nick
Old 14-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Fingerling

Hi Nick,

Wow you have put alot of time and effort into that boat! That is a very well presented and great fishing boat! A lot of beer and patience has gone into that one!

I am hoping mine becomes a lot similar. How does it go with the 15hp on the back of it?

I think i am going to have to put the live well at the front because the 4 stroke motor weighs a tonne and the fuel tank is down the back as well. There is all ready a plumbed livewell down the back opposite the fuel tank but it would be lucky to fit 2 yakkas in it (Original Quinne one)....

I have heard the flow rite system is the way to go for a livewell, Have you had anything to do with them? Or would you suggest something different?

Sorry for all the pestering nick, but should i use box aluminum, or angle?? and what size?

Cheers
Rennie