Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 16-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Poddy Bream

It took me a while to get my first bream and the lure that I landed my first on was a bloodworm wriggler 65 mm on 1/32 jig, and still the only plastic I buy for breaming is bloodworm wrigglers but now use 100 mm on a 1/16 or 1/32 jig head . 4 to 8lb fluro leader and a bit of s factor . info from this forum is what got me catching bream on sp & hb. All hail breammaster!!!!
PB Jew 14kgs
Old 16-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Poddy Bream

I started to catch more bream when i started fishing from a kayak. Not for a second suggesting you race out and buy one, but I do find the way I fish from the kayak to be a lot different than the way I fish from my Hornet. I fish a lot slower and seem to cover the water far more thoroughly from the kayak which taught me a lot about fish behaviour.
I discovered that you can catch big bream on very small lures by leaving them sit and now I will even leave my divers sitting on the surface until rings from the splash are gone before starting the retrieve. Most times the lure gets smashed within the first few cranks of the handle just as it starts to dive. I suspect I am leaving the lure long enough for a curious fish to find it before I drag it away.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 16-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
I started to catch more bream when i started fishing from a kayak. Not for a second suggesting you race out and buy one, but I do find the way I fish from the kayak to be a lot different than the way I fish from my Hornet. I fish a lot slower and seem to cover the water far more thoroughly from the kayak which taught me a lot about fish behaviour.
I discovered that you can catch big bream on very small lures by leaving them sit and now I will even leave my divers sitting on the surface until rings from the splash are gone before starting the retrieve. Most times the lure gets smashed within the first few cranks of the handle just as it starts to dive. I suspect I am leaving the lure long enough for a curious fish to find it before I drag it away.

Cheers, Dave.
Yeah i can relate to this, i think it teaches you to really focus your fishing and work areas very thoroughly as you really can't cover a lot of ground.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Blue Lip

What an enjoyable thread and sound breaming advice to read even for someone who has been chasing bream for a few years now. Its good to reflect on this info to maintain one's knowledge and enthusiasm towards this style of fishing. I cannot impart any further advice only to again reinforce the need for perseverance and that bream can only be caught if you have a lure in the water. Good luck. As an aside most of my success has come on lures that have an orange belly. Regards. HBt.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Blue Lip

Awesome mate, cant wait ..... im really struggling to target this species on lure lol , After members tips last night it got me all excited to go target them so i got up at 5:30 thismorning, grabbed my gear, walked out the door....and pissin down with rain ... but i went anyway, went and tried throwin some lures in the canals at newport,i threw bubble pop 45s , cicadas , scumdogs, sammy 65s, atomic Hardz 38s and a blade..... not even a hit or a follow ....ahhhhh im useless
Old 16-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
Awesome mate, cant wait ..... im really struggling to target this species on lure lol , After members tips last night it got me all excited to go target them so i got up at 5:30 thismorning, grabbed my gear, walked out the door....and pissin down with rain ... but i went anyway, went and tried throwin some lures in the canals at newport,i threw bubble pop 45s , cicadas , scumdogs, sammy 65s, atomic Hardz 38s and a blade..... not even a hit or a follow ....ahhhhh im useless
Sounds like a hard session mate. Your not useless, you just havn't managed to get the combination (lure, technique, time & place) quite right yet. I tend to avoid sessions with lots of rain, partly because I'm made of sugar but mostly because I don't seem to have much success on the blacks when it's raining hard. I don't know how long you were out for but I see lots of lure changes there, try sticking with one or two lures & covering the areas your fishing very thoroughly with them. Less lure changes equals more time with your lure in the water. Even on the hardest of days I probably only change lures two or three times in a 3 or 4 hour session. Keep at it mate, I know it can get discouraging but it will happen for you if you persevere & when it does happen you will forget about all the tough times instantly. The best part is that once it happens the first time, it's not usually too long before it happens again & the more consistent results start to come.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Blue Lip

yeah i thought too many lure changes too, im not sure the location is the best, i need to find somewhere where i know people get them
Old 16-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Mature Bream

I'm not familiar with that area at all but I just googled Newport Sydney Bream & came up with this: http://www.marinews.com/travel/trave...pittwater/361/
Maybe that will help you head in the right direction? My old man lives in Sydney & fishes the Hawkesbury fairly regularly, though he's a baito. I know one of the places he goes regularly is a rocky point between Dead Horse Bay & Parsley Bay. Apparently there's a rock groyne & jetty just there that he fishes as well as around on the point itself. I don't know if that means anything to you or if it's somewhere you can get to but he does claim to get into fish there pretty regularly. Like I said though, I don't know the area personally so I don't know if that's a good spot to fish or if my old man's just leading me up the garden path, which he's been known to do occasionally.
Old 16-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Blue Lip

newport in scarborough QLD lol
Old 16-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Mature Bream

Guess you'll have to get a really early start to fish any of those spots I just mentioned then

I don't know anyone in Qld so I can't help you at all then. Try bridges & river mouths. They usually hold Bream all the time regardless of state or the conditions.

PS: you should put your location in your profile so it comes up in your posts. There might be some fellow Queenslanders that can offer some better advice if they can see where your from.

Last edited by Graeme76; 16-04-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 16-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Blue Lip

good point mate, location added
Old 16-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Hang in there mate, it will happen eventually, don't think of those sessions as failures they are the sessions where you learn the most, even if its what doesn't work for you. Maybe the area your fishing just isn't holding many Bream at the moment or maybe they are just shut down who knows?

We all have tough sessions on Bream even those that have been doing it for years. My last couple of sessions have been shockers including donuts yet i know other people who have caught bream in the same areas i'm fishng on the same lures ad techniques but different days, sometimes they just move quickly or shut down on certain days. You just have to fish hard and the results will come.

You have the right lures, but try to stick with just one or two without changing to much. One thing that i think is really common when your super eager to get onto fsh is its very easy to fish to fast with to many lure changes. SLOW is the name of the game and persistance. Don't just fish one area, keep moving. Give it maybe half an hour to start with in your first location and if nothing is caught move spots and try again.
Old 16-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamobsession View Post
Hang in there mate, it will happen eventually, don't think of those sessions as failures they are the sessions where you learn the most, even if its what doesn't work for you. Maybe the area your fishing just isn't holding many Bream at the moment or maybe they are just shut down who knows?

We all have tough sessions on Bream even those that have been doing it for years. My last couple of sessions have been shockers including donuts yet i know other people who have caught bream in the same areas i'm fishng on the same lures ad techniques but different days, sometimes they just move quickly or shut down on certain days. You just have to fish hard and the results will come.

You have the right lures, but try to stick with just one or two without changing to much. One thing that i think is really common when your super eager to get onto fsh is its very easy to fish to fast with to many lure changes. SLOW is the name of the game and persistance. Don't just fish one area, keep moving. Give it maybe half an hour to start with in your first location and if nothing is caught move spots and try again.
100% agree here, when i didn't get a hit in the first 10-15 minutes with a lure, i'd change it, but now i stick with what i'm confident in, and usually, results get better and better
you need to fish as SLOW as possible, when you want to retrieve your lure a bit quicker, force yourself to go even slower
Old 17-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breambogrinner View Post
100% agree here, when i didn't get a hit in the first 10-15 minutes with a lure, i'd change it, but now i stick with what i'm confident in, and usually, results get better and better
you need to fish as SLOW as possible, when you want to retrieve your lure a bit quicker, force yourself to go even slower
So very true. Early on I had days when I tried to push the action and generally rush things trying to make something happen when I should have been far more patient in my approach.
I would come home frustrated and the first thing that would get attention was the tackle box.... I needed a magic lure... so I would read mags or scan forums looking for that " must have" lure that someone was raving about when truth is, I had a few in my box the whole time.
Now I have a few go to lures that I am really confident in and there are days when I will not change at all but pick a lure based on the conditions of the day and just fish with belief.
Old 17-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Blue Lip

so i got up at 5am again today and went to try my luck again, as always ... luck was bad, i was out for 4 hours and started with a popper in the canals, after 30 min i got bored with the popper, tied on a sammy 65 , haha that was just a joke, can i get this walk the dog thing goin .... not a chance in hell lol so i quickly replaced it with my atomic hardz and used it for the rest of the session, i did hit right in close to the rocks but pretty sure it was a small rock cod as i saw one chasing my lure... i took a few pics of where i tried today so you can tell me if im at the right locations
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-18 07.18.52.jpg (232.4 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-18 07.37.52.jpg (196.2 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-18 08.18.57.jpg (298.1 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-18 08.24.23.jpg (209.0 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-18 08.31.13.jpg (278.5 KB, 540 views)