Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 22-05-2017, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Getaway Outdoors WA Bream Classic Z-Man Round 2 Kayak Series Results

Round 2 of the Getaway Outdoors WA Bream Classic Kayak series kicked off from the Bayswater Scout Hall with 48 anglers braving the less than ideal conditions they were greeted with. The keen yakkers had plenty of rain and wind to contend with but with that there were high hopes the conditions would turn the fish on and make them chew.

And chew they did, especially for Alex Griesdorf weighing in three bream for 2.785kg to take the win by 890 grams, and with no other angler managing to break the 2kg mark. When how he went about compiling his winning bag Alex replied, “I headed downstream to the Belmont area which has been successful for me in previous comps, and also produced quite well in my pre-fish”.

“It took a while to get going and I had no fish after 45 minutes and I also dropped what felt like a good fish on a hardbody, but then I sort of worked out where they were sitting. So I started looking for good sand patches, with rock and snags close and really started catching good numbers. I had my bag quite quick but had to upgrade each fish 1cm at a time, literally going 26 being upgraded to a 27, which was then upgraded with a 28 and so on. I would have caught 30-40 legals for the day, but it really was hard work finding any size”.

“I probably had 2kg give or take come lunchtime, but around 12pm there was a change in the tide and the water started moving a bit more. About 12.30pm I hooked my first kicker fish which was followed not long after by my other kicker fish and one of those went 1.065 so they were quite chunky, and then it was pretty much set sail for home and make sure that I didn’t grab a late penalty. I was throwing 2.5inch ZMan Grubs in Bloodworm, certainly one of my favourite colours for the Swan River, and I knew I would be using that all day having it rigged up and ready to go on three rods.”

When asked what the magic technique was Alex replied “nothing special really, just a slow roll, and if I get a bump or anything resembling a bump, I’ll pause and then give a few small erratic shakes and just before I’d start slow rolling again it was getting belted. I started the day using 1/16 TTs, but the two big fish came on 1/12 TTs, so maybe the extra weight helped entice the bites. I was also using 3lb and 4lb leader in about 3 rod lengths, so maybe 6m or so”.

When asked who he wanted to thank Alex replied, “Certainly a big thanks to Getaway Outdoors for making a Hobie available for me to fish from each round, then of Lowrance and Tackle Tactics for all the support they give me, quality companies with quality products. Then of course the WA Classic team for another great event, and of course Kate for braving the crap conditions to cook bacon and eggs for 50 – cheers. And of course all the other yakkers for making the effort, it really is good fun and a great bunch of people”.

In second place weighing in three bream for 1.895kg was Paul Burton, and when asked how his day went Paul replied “It was pretty good fun, I had a great day, I headed up to Ron Courtney Island and tried to target a few of the banks around there. I was throwing Ecogear bream prawns unweighted (JoJo style) and they were getting smacked quite hard, which was always touch and go on the 5lb nitlon leader I was using . I was trying to work every bit of rock I could see and I would cast and let the bream prawn sink, normally they were hitting it in the first meter. If I didn’t get a hit I would crank it back and go again and that’s how I picked up my first two keepers”.

“I thought I would make a change after that and venture up towards Fishmarket Reserve, as it does have some nice ground to work. That was pretty quiet, so I headed back down to Ron Courtney and picked up my third fish there. I then managed a nice upgrade just over there, 50 meters from the start and probably where most of the yaks have had a cast throughout the day. So that was a great addition to my bag”.

When asked if he had anyone to thank, Paul replied “just the organisers and the all the fantastic sponsors, the breakfast and lunch packs really make the day a bit easier to prepare for so thanks very much”.

In third place was Belmont local Graeme Kovacevich, who made what was a popular move to head downstream to find his three bream that dragged the scales down to 1.860kg to just miss second place. When asked how the day went Graeme replied “It was good day out, it’s always good to bring a bag back to the scales and even better if one or two if not all of them are over 30cm. I headed down to the Maylands Yacht Club and pretty much just fished my way back, I was trying target the windblown banks and the fish really were few and far between for me. It was hard work to upgrade past the 28cm mark with a lot of my fish around the same size, but in the end I did get a couple of really good bites which stuck and added some really nice weight”

“I was playing it pretty simple, which in these conditions probably helped, so was just slow rolling ZMan 2.5 inch grubs in the bloodworm colour, and I had that rigged on a 1/16, and then the ZMan slim swimz in the same bloodworm colour which was rigged on a 1/20 jig”. When asked if he had anyone to thank, Graeme replied “just the sponsors and organisers for another great kayak event, and all the guys for turning out in the crappy weather today”.

The HOBIE POLARIZED BIG BREAM went to Stuart McCarthy who presented a great bream to the weigh master that dragged the scales down to 1.085kg and hold off the two challengers that fell a mere 20 grams short af the mark set by Stu. His beast was caught on a ZMan 2.5 inch grub in the motor oil colour on a 4lb leader. Mighty effort!!

This rounds Getaway Outdoors WA Bream Classic Kayak Grand Final Qualifiers are as follows: Paul Burton, Graeme Kovacevich, Massimo Salomone, Jesse Choy and Ben Oakes. So a big well done to them!

The grand final location this year was also announced at the presentations and the new date will be the 23rd and 24th of September and will be done in conjunction with the Perth International Boat Show. It is a fantastic opportunity for us to have our grand final and to be able to showcase our grand final at such a fantastic location as Elizabeth Quay.

As always we really would like to thank our sponsors, Getaway Outdoor, Atomic, Yamatoyo, Samurai, Watersnake, Ecogear, JML Anglers Alliance, Dragon, Gosen, Gamakatsu, Platypus fishing line, TT Lures, Quantum, Mustad, Mako, Shimano, Grannys Pies and Pasties, Halco, Z-Man, Bait Breath, breammaster.com and Recfishwest and also our Big Bream Sponsor Hobie Polarized.

Round three will be held in Mandurah on the 18th of June if you are interested in fishing or coming down to watch the weigh in check out the WA Bream Classics facebook page or breammaster.com
We look forward to seeing you there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KayakRD246.jpg (410.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg KayakRD245.jpg (481.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg KayakRD244.jpg (438.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg KayakRD218.jpg (384.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RD2 Score board.jpg (479.7 KB, 8 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: