Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Old 22-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Big Bream

Lumix FT1 Questions

I've recently bought a Lumix FT1 for use in the kayak and wondered if anyone had any advise or tips. I don't really intend 'underwater' shots other than some close range UW stuff as fish are bought to the yak. One of the reasons I chose the FT1 was for the Intelegent Auto (IA) function and the ease of one hand operation in the yak but the instructions seems to indicate that the Intelegent Auto wont allow an auto shift to UW mode. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the FT1 and how to get the best out of the IA and UW photography function ?
Cheers Paul
Old 22-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Blue Lip

My only tip would be to secure it to the kayak. Waterproof is no good to you when the camera falls 5m to the river floor where you can't find it. How is the camera? I love the look of it and it sounds as though it should be pretty good.

JB
Old 23-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Big Bream

Hi mpb,
Purchased a Lumix FT1 and have found it a great camera. Havn't taken any pics underwater but tried the HD video function UW and is very clear, good colours so I expect pics to be even better. The IA setting is what I have been using for most pics except when there is a large contrast in lighting levels(ie. Under a verandah with bright sunlight in the background) it freaks out a bit. The UW setting seems add more red colour to give a more natural look but even the IA setting is great. When looking into the purchase there is better Lumix cameras in that price range but with a 4 year old and 1.5 year old the waterproofing and shockproofing was good value.

Some samples with my limited use with it.
Macro Flower Shot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flower Closeup.jpg (170.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 23-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Big Bream

Zoom on Maximum (4.6x)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temple Zoom.jpg (186.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 23-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Big Bream

In the water shot....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pool View.jpg (233.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 23-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Big Bream

Thanks Justin - thats good advice and yeh, pretty much everything of value on board the yak gets 'bungeed' down.
Only picked the new camera up last week to replace my old Olympus MJU 70 which sadly died recently. Hopefully some half reasonable weather will be available on a w/end soon so I can put the Lumix to the test on the water. Been pretty happy with Olympus in the past but the new Intellegent Auto on the Lumix allows auto mode change depending upon the focus of the subject which should be very handy on the yak for one hand operation.
Will let you know how it goes and hopefully post up some pics soon - cheers Paul
Old 23-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicGrant View Post
Hi mpb,
Purchased a Lumix FT1 and have found it a great camera. Havn't taken any pics underwater but tried the HD video function UW and is very clear, good colours so I expect pics to be even better. The IA setting is what I have been using for most pics except when there is a large contrast in lighting levels(ie. Under a verandah with bright sunlight in the background) it freaks out a bit. The UW setting seems add more red colour to give a more natural look but even the IA setting is great. When looking into the purchase there is better Lumix cameras in that price range but with a 4 year old and 1.5 year old the waterproofing and shockproofing was good value.

Some samples with my limited use with it.
Macro Flower Shot...
Thanks Grant - some great pics there. Good to know the IA will be ok for settings under water as I'll be using it a lot in the yak and the idea is to be able to photograph the fish in the water as they are brought alonside.
Cheers Paul