Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Fingerling

fu**ing fireline

i keep getting tangles in my fireline wat can i do to stop this i broke a rod over this

daniel.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Blue Lip

wen fireline started giving me the $hits i changed to yamatoyo sw pe braid and it hasnt failed me since.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator

More often than not tangles come from a few different factors...

The most common one is after you cast you just snap the bail shut and start your retrieve.
When you shut the bail it is a good idea to pull the line tight and then start the retrieve. This stops a little loop forming on your spool which will lead to a tangle in the cast or two after.

The next one is simply from over filling your spool. If it is over full it will allow loops of line to come off before they should resulting in a tangle.

Another cause comes from fishing soft plastics where slack line is retrieved often. To overcome this just make a long cast every now and then or let the line stream out the back of a moving boat and wind the line through pressure between your fingers back on the spool tightly.

Hope this helps work out your problem.

Ian.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 AM
Mature Bream

I've found that when fishing braids or fused lines you need to really manage your lines. Check the spools a lot and cast out/remove any loops etc. Almost underfill your spools if you are having heaps of problems.
I'm trying some different lines to Fireline and have found the 2lb Platypus Superbraid to be the nicest line so far - once you have fish it a few times and "deflossed" it.
Just my opinion
Old 06-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Big Bream

Fireline is the only braid i havnt had a problem with! Strong and Very reliable.

Proudly Associated with:

Pure Fishing
http://www.purefishing.com.au/

Berkley Soft Plastics
Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Blue Lip

Question Something's up

Berkley Fire-Line has never,ever.given me any proble's at all
Nor has Berkley-Vanish

Other people's rod's with Fins,and other's have

So,If it aint broke I'm not fixing it

gae.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Big Bream

braid has no stretch therefore it doesn't grip the existing spooled line forming loops especially when retrieving light casting weights even poorer when plastics compared to more retrieve resistant minnows.

Fireline being less limp when newly purchased to other non-fused braids should be more resistant to loop forming.

When using ultralight lines such as 1-8lb braids this occurrence will be higher unless manual tension is applied on regular basis when retrieving. More so casting into high winds.

Our youth are spoiled with such joyful technology
Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Big Bream

The opposite is experienced when an Alvey is spooled too tight with high stretch mono filament.

The spool explodes.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Big Bream

4lb fireline had lots of tangles with it, 6 lb very rare
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Interesting comments - It's very easy to point the finger at the line being the cause of tangles, yet plenty of times the reel or rod is the answer.

Bail line roller sticking, cracked guide, poor line lay on the spool etc.........

I've never had issues with any Fireline that hasn't been reel related.

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Big Bream

Talking i'll add to that! It'll probably get me into strife

you're spot on Dave and may I add that more fisher folk should learn to feather the cast from a spinning reel, it will eliminate most of the slack line/loop problems associated with the first couple of cranks of the handle after casting. I don't use Fireline but only because there are longer lived lines in the market place. I am sponsored with Bass Hard Braid, although.... I would still use it even if I wasn't sponsored as it's longetivity is unquestioned. I have spools that are over 12 months old and still going strong. Fireline is Gelspun/Fused, it never lasts that long. I use to respool every 3 - 6 months with Fireline, dependent on usage then I discover Rapala Titanium braid (aka Squidgy) which I found to be fantastic in longetivity. Then I tried Bass Hard, end of story... all the benefits of a limp braid with unsurpassed toughness. You need to adjust your techniques as products develop or change. I have also changed to size 2000 spools and that eliminated the few problems I had with size 1000 spools.

After all that I want people to understand that Fireline ... is not a true braid In fact it is not braided at all. It is fused thermal filament and Berkley refer to it as a Superline. Berkley also market braids such as Spiderwire and Gorilla.

Last edited by madsurfe; 07-05-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Big Bream

I Have been using fireline ever since i started throwing lures and never had a problem, i have adjusted my line lay with extra washers under the spool to slighly have the line tapered , this helps with the cast due to the angle of the line coming off, before you change your braid check your line lay etc and see how you go!

cheers Daniel

Proudly Associated with:

Pure Fishing
http://www.purefishing.com.au/

Berkley Soft Plastics

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: