Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 15-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Fingerling

Spooling Reels Properly

Hi all,

I am about to re-spool some of my reels.

My question...is there much benefit in having them spooled professionally at my local (using a machine) vs, winding the braid on myself?

My current reels were spooled at my tackle shop when I bought them. they do seem to be a lot neater than when I have just wound braid on in the past.

Thanks!
Old 15-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Blue Lip

Personally,

See no real benefit other than saving you a bit of time.

Some joints may supply the backing for free tho

I used to do it all manually without a drama, but have invested in one of these:

http://www.beesknees-spooler.com

Makes it even easier to do all kinds of reels, plus you dont need a helper

Nagz
Old 15-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Blue Lip

That bees knees one is worth its weight in gold.

Personally I like winding it into the reel myself I can control line tension, spool taper and ensure that the line will continue to lay in that pattern every time.

www.crankalures.com
Old 16-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Mature Bream

I would always do it myself. The only time I had a shop do it, the only option was Fins. It was OK for a Barra baitcaster but there are better brands for bream, pretty much all of them!
Old 16-12-2015, 03:16 AM
Blue Lip

Only at the shop,they know what there doing and do it for free anyway.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 16-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Mature Bream

I always get a tackle store because I've yet to see a spooler that can do as good a job.

Most stores will spool your reel for free when you're buying line from them.
Old 16-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Blue Lip

The problem I see with mechanical spoolers is that they don't account for the line lay the reel will relay the line back onto the spool with the shims that are on the spool support - either Shimano or Daiwa.

Getting back to basics how I put line on my reels is the reversed method.

Main line onto spool tightly, when appropriate amount on then attach backing line with double uni knot and fill to spool lip / rim or just under and cut backing line.

Attach end of backing somewhere accessable, dump line onto inside carpeted / outside grass area.

Attach end of backing to spool via spool knot and wind on backing and main line through damp cotton cloth or similar with tension.

Can't get anymore precise than that and has a perfect length and taper every time. To adjust forward or backward taper add or subtract another shim to spool support.
Old 16-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
The problem I see with mechanical spoolers is that they don't account for the line lay the reel will relay the line back onto the spool with the shims that are on the spool support - either Shimano or Daiwa.
It'll take care of itself as long as you haven't changed the line lay by adding or removing spool washers.

I've been getting my reels spooled at stores for twenty years and I've never had any issues.

Last edited by PM79; 16-12-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 16-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Big Bream

That's exactly what the problem is. Say a reel isn't shimmed properly, then that's gonna cause you issue when your 'perfectly' machine spooled reel experience the first long cast or hard running fish. As you wind back the line, the line lay will be subject to the improper shimming and cause the line to be layed with an undesirable taper.

When reel manufacturers work hard to ensure a particular line lay pattern, machine spooling a reel really just undermines all that effort. I use a tld20 as a tensioner when spooling up reels and the consistent drag of that tld has been of great benefit in ensuring a tight spool with line lay pattern, taper and quantity just the way I want it, for as long as the line is in service
Old 16-12-2015, 11:30 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I take the old line off with a drill and re spool with a wet polar fleece tensioning glove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4356.jpg (94.4 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 4355.jpg (104.1 KB, 358 views)
Old 16-12-2015, 11:36 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I've tried getting a perfect line lay with a homemade jig and a drill but very few of my reels lay line that way - If yours lays line in perfect straight line and you have a very skilled operator respooling - he may be able to make sure all the line goes where it should - but an unskilled operator (Like me )will bunch the line in spots where it shouldnt be bunched.

Once you cast that off and reel it back in, any spots that got too many wraps will now be exposed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4354.jpg (62.2 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg 4351.jpg (32.0 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 16-12-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:40 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

One long cast and deep drop and they revert back to original line lay and you end up losing braid - this problem is most accentuated on my bigger reels. But it happens on my smaller bream reels aswell. Matching the original taper, that the reel will give your line, is difficult to do by hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4353.jpg (63.7 KB, 362 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 16-12-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:49 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

One thing I now do on all respools - big or small - is add a bit of tape over the joiner knot so it wont catch while casting.

You never know when you'll lose a heap of braid during a session. If you run too low the joiner knot can poke through and take that reel out of commission until it can be respooled.

I now tie fg's to join my backing to braid but the tape goes on anyway for security. Duct tape is good if you take some of the stickyness out of it by pressing it on a table a few times - that way it will quickly release, if a fish ever takes you down to the backing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4350.jpg (78.4 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg 4349.jpg (56.6 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 16-12-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 16-12-2015, 12:12 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

(p.s. I just found a more recent pic.)

I stole this method off another visionary Bream Master innovator - its well worth having this set up if you plan to do your own unspooling and respooling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4348.jpg (63.6 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg 4347.jpg (71.8 KB, 356 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 16-12-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 16-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin19870316 View Post
That's exactly what the problem is. Say a reel isn't shimmed properly, then that's gonna cause you issue when your 'perfectly' machine spooled reel experience the first long cast or hard running fish. As you wind back the line, the line lay will be subject to the improper shimming and cause the line to be layed with an undesirable taper.

When reel manufacturers work hard to ensure a particular line lay pattern, machine spooling a reel really just undermines all that effort.
I leave the line lay at the factory setting and I've never had any issues what so ever.