Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 24-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Mature Bream

Retrieve for Flats

Hi guys,
i usually fish the flats with small hardbody lures and have been getting a few hits, but no hookups, i usually do a slow constant retrieve with a few twitches. What is your favourite retrieve when fishing flats???
Old 24-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Blue Lip

try adding a pause of about 3 seconds in that and se how ya go
Old 24-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks, i will see how it goes
Old 24-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Banned

Can depend on if you are fishing for Yellows or Blacks mate. Blackies will occasionally go for a constant retrieve but more often than not you need to give the lure a good pause. Yellows are much more likely to hit on a constant retrieve than Blacks.

Many different techniques can be used mate, as a start a couple of twitches pause twitch pause etc etc. Long pauses for blackies are deadly at times especially if they are not completely sure about taking the lure, with Blacks you have to give them time to think about taking the lure letting it suspend in their faces they are the thinking mans fish, much much smarter than Yellows They just hit anything that swims past

Here comes my demise

Also don't ignore blades on the flats they can be surprisingly effective, ZX's are deadly.
Old 24-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamobsession View Post
Can depend on if you are fishing for Yellows or Blacks mate. Blackies will occasionally go for a constant retrieve but more often than not you need to give the lure a good pause. Yellows are much more likely to hit on a constant retrieve than Blacks.

Many different techniques can be used mate, as a start a couple of twitches pause twitch pause etc etc. Long pauses for blackies are deadly at times especially if they are not completely sure about taking the lure, with Blacks you have to give them time to think about taking the lure letting it suspend in their faces they are the thinking mans fish, much much smarter than Yellows They just hit anything that swims past

Here comes my demise

Also don't ignore blades on the flats they can be surprisingly effective, ZX's are deadly.
How dare you

You might have to come up my way and try your hands at yellows some time!

As bream obsession said, there are many many different retrieves. If a person came up to me and said there's one retrieve that works for every lure, every day I would call them a liar.

Although a slow roll will work most of the time, it doesn't work every day, and lures with a tight action may need to be ripped or twitched. Twitch twitch pause retrieves work well on the yellows, and have heard it works really well on the blacks aswell! Sometimes they don't like it paused, and they'll hit a constant twitch retrieve. I think the key is just mixing it up!

Hope this helps
Todd
Old 25-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Mature Bream

Haha, thanks for the tips guys, hopefully i will be able to get a few bream the next time i go out
Old 25-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Blue Lip

As the other guys have said there are many techniques that work on different days.

A slow roll is the most simple, you can roll the lure at varied speeds to try to maximize your bites.

A technique I like to use is a slow roll with three sharp stabs with the rod tip without stopping the roll.

If you are under some type of cover you might want to pause the lure more often.

Try using three diffent colours and rotate through the lures and the retireves and work out a pattern.

Cheers
Chris
Old 26-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Big Bream

As everyone has said, try different styles of retreive. The main thing is to keep a mental note or better still a diary of what worked on what sort of day, tide and weather conditions etc. There will always be exceptions but try one way then another. Dont be afraid to put on different size and styles of lures. Finding where the fish are is half the battle. A pair of polarized sunnies is a must for the flats, youll be amazed at what you can see with good sunnies. The flats can be tricky at the best of time. I fish them quite a bit and you have to take note of whats going on around you. If the birds are dive bombing white bait find a lure colour and shape like whitebait. But start a diary, I wish I did when I was a kid. When your an old fart at least you can go back and read about the fun you had.

Hope this helps
Old 27-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Mature Bream

Really really really slow
Old 27-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Blue Lip

I technique I find really effective on sandy flats, espeacially on yellows is using deep diving cranks like Jackall chubbies and Smith camions and cranking them hard until you feel them dig into the sand a bit, then pausing for 5-10 seconds and slowly working them back for a foot or so before cranking them back to the bottom again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: