Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Getaway Outdoors WA Kayak Classic Shimano Rnd 1 Moore River RESULTS

Shimano Round 1 of the 2017 Getaway Outdoors WA Bream Classic Kayak series kicked off from the Moore River launch location of Silver Creek. This was a switch from the last round in 2016 to the first round in 2017 for Moore River and this would normally present anglers with river that is full and ready to be plundered. Except a few days of summer rain caused the bar at the mouth to break and send what water there was into the ocean, and leave a very empty but very equal playing field.

Loaded with bacon and egg rolls for breakfast and some lunch goodies, 48 Anglers hit the water at 7am to pick their way through the many small fish to try and find three nice bream to bring back to the weigh in.
Making the right decision to head down the front to the mouth for the day was Paul Siemasko weighing in three bream for 1.590kg. Paul pinned his first keeper early and only added two more legals before the day was out, but it was enough to hold off the remaining placegetters in a tightly fought contest.

When asked how the day had gone, Paul replied “it was awesome, very hard work but very satisfying to pick up my first yak win after god knows how many attempts over the years. I headed down the front along with a few of the other lads and we all sort of fished in the same general area around the pontoon. I found a nice little drop-off and just worked that, I was throwing a Strike Pro Smelter in the Ayu colour, and that was getting plenty of action, but just no keepers”.
“So I changed to the Zman 2.5 inch grubs in the Gudgeon colour, rigged on Atomic Seekers in 1/11. I would cast out let it sink and put a couple of short sharp twitches in before letting it sit for about 10 seconds, and they would smack it pretty hard, especially the keepers. The big bream that ended up taking the HOBIE POLARIZED BIG BREAM I got early, and he tried to bury me under the pontoon, and with the wind cranking I had to back pedal like mad just to stop him bricking me, it really was a little bit of chaos but it was great fun and a real highlight to have a fish of that size start off the day, it was going to be fun regardless from then on”.

When asked if he had anything further to add, Paul replied “Yes a big thanks to Strike Pro/Juro, they have supported me for years and they have been fantastic. Then a big thanks to the organisers and all the others anglers for making the 2017 season possible. And last but certainly not least, the chef (Kate) for the great breakfast to start the day”.

Paul used a selection of Ian Miller rods, these were matched to Daiwa Certate reels. Each reel was loaded with 6lb Daiwa TD Sensor Braid, whilst at the business end was FC Rock leader.

In second place and continuing his hot form from 2016 was Shane Owens weighing in three bream for 1.505kg, when asked how the weekend had gone Shane replied “It was great, I headed straight down the front hoping the salt water would get them chewing a bit. I was not quite in the surf but close enough to chat with swimmers and it certainly did not change the bite. I started throwing the Bait Breath Rush Craw retrieving it with some short erratic twitches, and that picked up a few keepers and a bundle of undersize as well”.
“I then changed to Berkley Gulp Worms and Crabbies, and I really just fished them like a baito, cast, wait, watch for bites, it was really frustrating but accounted for heaps of fish, I probably hooked 80 to 100 fish throughout the day. And then in the last couple of hours I lost a cracker, I thought I was snagged on a rock so tried to flik it off when all of a sudden line started peeling, I just got it close enough to the yak to consider grabbing the net when he spat the hook. I was gutted and knew it would be costly. But that’s fishing and it is a great start to the series, so now I can’t wait for round 2”.

When asked if he had anything to add, Shane replied “A big thanks to my sponsors in Gladiator and Tackle HQ, I use the gladiator gear for everything as well as the Gosen braid, and I find it more than capable for the fishing we do, then of course a big thanks to all the other anglers for making the trip, especially when the water levels were looking a bit sad. And last but not least a big thanks to the 2017 series sponsors and to the organisers for putting on another great event”.

Shane used his Gladiator Rods, being the Cyborg 7’2 and also the Elite Industries. Shane matched his rods to Daiwa Certate and Freams reels, these were loaded with Gosen Tournament Braid in 14lb, whilst at the business end was Nitlon leader in 4lb or 6lb.

In third place and also a regular on the podium was Joseph Gardner weighing in three bream for 1.355kg, and when asked how the day had gone Jo replied “I headed down the front with the other guys that all seemed to be in the top 5, and we just plundered the area trying to weed though the undersize fish until the bigger ones made a mistake. I found they certainly chewed better when the tide started coming in and the bream got a sniff of the salt water, but I probably netted 15 to 20 keepers throughout the day so the hardest part was probably working out the upgrades”.

“I was chucking plastics all day and rotated through as many as I could to keep the bite going. They would hit hard especially after a long pause, which is different to what I am used to, but in the end to make the top three and catch a few good fish was a great start to the year”.

When asked if he had anything to add “A big thanks to JML/Ecogear for all the support they have been giving me for a last few years it is greatly appreciated, a big thanks to all the sponsors, organisers and of course the other anglers for making the effort. Also a big congratulations to my mum for making the top 10 and knocking off some seasoned anglers, awesome effort”.

Joseph used JML Perfection Accurate Presentation and JML Sensation Kayak Special rods, these were matched to Daiwa Luvias Reels, these were loaded with Yamatoyo Jigging braid, whilst at the business of each was 4lb Yamatoyo Harris Fighter.

Thanks to everyone for making the event the success it was, we look forward to seeing you in the next Kayak Classic event on 21st May 2017, or at the next Boat Classic event on 12 March 2017.

A big thanks to all the 2017 series sponsors: Getaway Outdoors, Frogleys Offshore, Shimano, Tackle Tactics, Mako, Platypus, JML Anglers Alliance, Halco, Gladiator, Watersnake/Jarvis Walker, Whiteys Tackle, Albany Tackle and Rods, TheLurePro.com.au, Tackle HQ and 2017 BIG BREAM Sponsor HOBIE POLARIZED.
See you at the next round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KRD1_35.jpg (251.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg KRD1_23.jpg (290.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg KRD1_19.jpg (292.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg KRD1_25.jpg (251.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Round 1 Yak results Fixed.jpg (374.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Nick Cuccovia; 06-02-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Blue Lip

Good slog out in tough conditions!

13 Fishing
Like us on Facebook for updates and pictures: http://www.facebook.com/13FishingAustralia?fref=ts
Old 06-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Mature Bream

good report nick and well done to all who entered and gave it a crack

big congrats Paul and the other place getters looks like another close yak season on the way for you guys
Old 07-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Big Bream

Cheers Nick

Kayak PB's - Rainbow Trout 43cm - Bream 41cm - Flathead 55cm - Tailor 60+cm - Flounder 44cm - Sand Whiting 31cm - KGW 35cm - Mangrove Jack 33cm.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:32 AM
Big Bream

Great turnout,great company well organised as always absolute credit to the bream classic team along with the guys from getaway outdoors-wrapped with my result as it's been a struggle for a lot of years,bring on the next round an look forward to seeing you all there
Thanks again to all the sponsors that support this series without them it wouldn't be the same
Cheers
Paul
Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Mature Bream

Well done Paul on the 1st place,to Shano & Jo for making up the podium.
Big thanks to the great sponsors & of course to Nick,Sewelly,Richo & Kate for organising another enjoyable comp

Andy Mitchell
Hobie PA12

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: