Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 AM
Mature Bream

Minn Kota wont turn

I have a 80lb Minn Kota copilot that has stopped turning left/right. It still goes forward fine and all the power settings work. When I press the pedal left or right I can hear relays clicking in the motor so Im assuming power is getting to the servo motor ok. Any one had a similar problem or any ideas? I have been looking for a reason to get an ipilot but a dead copilot isnt the way I had in mind.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Blue Lip

I sort of had a issue with a gear box seal ( allowed water into box and had corrosion inside box )
Try steering back and forth left to right left to right
If it doesn't free up do the same again and use your hand to try and turn the head. At the same time and same direction as your steering help it.

Hope this helps
Ps might need to go back and get stripped down .
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Fingerling

ive had the same problem before but not the copilot, it happened on comp day! (wasnt happy)
anyway turns out i fried a few wires in my footpedal and went and bought a new foot pedal and was as good as new
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Mature Bream

Cheers for the suggestions guys. Pulled it apart yesterday and found a fault on the circuit board. Soldered in a new IC and its working now. Was a bit of a mission to get into pieces and put back together. Just gotta wait for the wind to go so I can sea trial my soldering skills. No Ipilot just yet it seems
Old 11-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Mature Bream

we have had the same issue with the gear box seal...

brown marks on the shaft are a tell tail sign..

you need to send it back to BLA, hopefully it is still under warranty..
Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrorico View Post
we have had the same issue with the gear box seal...

brown marks on the shaft are a tell tail sign..

you need to send it back to BLA, hopefully it is still under warranty..
Yep this is currently why myself and Mitch are'nt able to fish the WA Classic in Mandurah today.
My new Ipilot has this very same issue with the gear box seal (had a rust mark also on the shaft) and is obviously a major fault as people have told me of the same occurance and now I see it is happening all over the east coast too.Saltwater series indeed
BLA have sent it back to QLD for repair under warranty and as I told the guys on returning it to the depo in Bibra Lake (how handy) that it was'nt good enough that a product that is sold nationwide is now only serviced in one state.Not sure of this probably only a WA thing given the distance and if so this stinks if its a cost saving issue
Love my Minn Kota's but they stuff up just like all their cheaper cousins and l want prompt service on something l pay $2000 for,waiting 2 weeks so far. Just imagine if it was out of warranty and being on the other side of Australia having to foot the bill for returning the unit to the service department and back plus the cost of fixing their obviously fautly product. Its not like returning a toaster.
So be aware that this seal business is common place it seem's and something to watch out for.
Well thats my vent and it will no doubt fall on deaf ears due to the cost involved in maintaing a Minn Kota technician here in WA.
Not good enough...JMO

Steven Morrison
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Blue Lip

Hey,

I too have suffered from a faulty gear box seal which resulted in the brown marks on the shaft. I ended up sending mine back to BLA and was fixed under warrenty.

I also had an issue with the GPS inside the motor aswell as an actuator (?) and another part failing too!

I was lucky, the day before I got married I returned the motor to the dealer and when I returned a month later from the honeymoon it was waiting for me at the shop.

www.crankalures.com
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 AM
Blue Lip

This is why I hate servo electrics, so many probs. I had heaps of probs but since I went cable steer the only prob I have had is a little corrosion on the connection.

Cheers
Chris
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Mature Bream

we have also had the motor deploy while we were traveling.. snapped the shaft in the middle..

thankfully BLA covered it and labour was all that we had to pay..
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bass View Post
This is why I hate servo electrics, so many probs. I had heaps of probs but since I went cable steer the only prob I have had is a little corrosion on the connection.

Cheers
Chris
+1 for cable!

3 years, 1000's of hours of trouble free operation and the only issue was a bit of corrosion because an anode was not put on from the start.

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook

Last edited by ruski; 12-08-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
+1 for cable!

3 years, 1000's of hours of trouble free operation and the only issue was a bit of corrosion because an anode was not put on from the start.
l hear where you are coming from guys but the thought of being welded to the same spot in my boat makes my already knackered back cringe at the thought. l gave up on the cable steer during my motorguide years...as stated they wont let you down but I dont like the restraints either each to their own.
I just wanted to put it out there that the current set up here in WA for warranty and repair work is by no means satisfactory in my book.Needs looking at for sure.

Steve

Last edited by Hooked; 12-08-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

Brown marks like these?

Old 13-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfisherman View Post
Brown marks like these?

Cant say for sure mate but if it is rust and not general river grime I would be concerned.

Cheers Steve.
Old 13-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
Cant say for sure mate but if it is rust and not general river grime I would be concerned.

Cheers Steve.
Went in today to get checked out, at first glance the guy thought of the steering motor, but the speeds have been playing up so I reckon it's the gearbox.

Will know in the next few days.
Old 14-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Blue Lip

Well got my Kota back today and as expected it was indeed faulty seals.
My unit is a little over 15 months old and with the arrival of my son Flynn 12 months ago it hasnt had much of a work out.
The list goes like this:

BLA analysis:We have replaced the steering motor assy ( whole new unit), all lower motor seals,gaskets,o-rings and plain end seal.

Happy with the service and replacement of faulty parts but would hate to be coughing up for this lot if in 15 months it all goes pear shaped again.
All l had was a 1 inch rust stain on my shaft.I thought nothing of it until the steering motor stopped.
One to watch out for anyways to all the new Ipilot owners.I'm sure if this happened outside of warranty by the time you sent it from WA and back and paid for the parts and labour a new Kota would nearly make more sense.
Anyways see what happens now.

Cheers Steve.