Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Fingerling

Watersnake problem?

Hey guys, so i purchased a JW Watersnake 54lb/48 Shadow SWRT about 3 months or so ago. It hasn't seen a whole lot of use, but ever since day 1 had a problem where sometimes it just wouldn't let you turn at anything over say 1/4 throttle. I would have to drop the throttle right back down to turn. Although this was intermittently.
Lately it just wont turn at all sometimes, or turn really slowly. Its very intermittent and random, will seem fine before i put it in the water.
This is with both foot control and hand remote. Its still under warranty so going to get it sent back. I've charged the battery before each outing, its a 125ah AGM battery and also only about 4 months old and checked all connections and everything seems nice and tight.

Anybody have a similar problem before and know what it could be?
Obviously its still under warranty, so going to have another check at all connections before sending it back.

Also only thing that i think could be a problem, is its bolted to the front of my boat, which's bow is not very thick aluminum and when under a bit of throttle you can see it flex a bit. I'm not sure if this could be causing problems with turning?
Old 31-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Blue Lip

Hey Macca, it is very strange that you are having problems with a watersnake motor.

Very rare that you hear bad reports about them:roll eyes:

Seriously send it back. JW are used to returns and have sending new motors and bits back to customers down pat. So they should they do it often enough.

CHECK THIS.......

http://www.facebook.com/BreaminNPerchin
Old 31-03-2013, 04:32 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlipz View Post
Hey Macca, it is very strange that you are having problems with a watersnake motor.

Very rare that you hear bad reports about them:roll eyes:

Seriously send it back. JW are used to returns and have sending new motors and bits back to customers down pat. So they should they do it often enough.
Mate if you dont have anything productive to say...

Macca take it back to where you got it from, the warranty should cover any problem like that
Old 31-03-2013, 04:42 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeking View Post
Mate if you dont have anything productive to say...

Macca take it back to where you got it from, the warranty should cover any problem like that
With a name like joeking, i would assume you could tell when some body was "joeking"

After a little attempt at humour, did i not just tell him to take it back?

CHECK THIS.......

Old 31-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlipz View Post
With a name like joeking, i would assume you could tell when some body was "joeking"

After a little attempt at humour, did i not just tell him to take it back?
Where was the humour? I must of missed the punch line.
Old 31-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Mature Bream

my watersnake I got in December, died in feb. would only thrust forward no turning what so ever. I did find a solution to my problem and haven't had a hiccup yet. minn kota. and still waiting to receive a new turning motor which I was told I would get within two days, now over a month ago :/
Old 31-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Mature Bream

Mate I had similar issues with my watersnake. It turned out it was the circuit board that was faulty. I basically called JW and they sent me out a new circuit board which I was able to fit myself, my motor was no longer in warrantee. Worked great after that. As Squidlps said, there used to sorting out issues with their motors so there service is actually very good, I had the new parts in only a few short days.

Cheers
Gagga
Old 31-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeking View Post
Where was the humour? I must of missed the punch line.
Cmon dude, chillax. Kick back and have an easter egg.

Happy easter!!!

CHECK THIS.......

Old 31-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Mature Bream

i too can jump aboard the watersanke drama train, i had a simular drama but mine was sometimes it would not wanna do much, like a flat battery, but wasnt, so after contacting them thye sent me out a new speed controller unit so i could do it myself, all this was great and i got into the job only to have dramas fitting it wire wise, turns out they sent me the 48inch one instead of the 54inch one, contacted them and from then on they said wrap it up and we will organise frieght etc, so took it to work and 2-3 weeks later it came back all good and fully serviced
they did ok by me, and between them and minn kotas i hear drams from each side so cant say go one over the other etc all i can say is couldnt live without one
Old 31-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Fingerling

Thanks guys, the problem is its only intermittent and i can only seem to get it to happen when im out in the boat! Wondering if they actually take them out and test them under load? Would hate to send it away and 3 weeks later get it sent back and them not finding the problem.

Only thing that i'm thinking that could be an issue on my end, is that the motor isn't mounted flat. my bow curves, the motor is mounted to that with some rubber underneath the bracket to prop it up more level. Under load it flexes the bow a little bit. Do you guys think this could effect the steering ? I'm not sure how the steering mechanism works so i'm unsure if something like that could effect it. I was thinking of getting a fabricator and whip something up to rule that out.
Old 31-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca02 View Post
Thanks guys, the problem is its only intermittent and i can only seem to get it to happen when im out in the boat! Wondering if they actually take them out and test them under load? Would hate to send it away and 3 weeks later get it sent back and them not finding the problem.

Only thing that i'm thinking that could be an issue on my end, is that the motor isn't mounted flat. my bow curves, the motor is mounted to that with some rubber underneath the bracket to prop it up more level. Under load it flexes the bow a little bit. Do you guys think this could effect the steering ? I'm not sure how the steering mechanism works so i'm unsure if something like that could effect it. I was thinking of getting a fabricator and whip something up to rule that out.
Dude, hopefully i can answer this without joking getting mad at me!!!

Mate, the motor turns via a solenoid which is mounted inside the white box that your shaft goes thru. you'll notice a little notch in that box which marries up with the black adjustable chock on the shaft. Just make sure that the black chock is fully in the notch in the white box. Its hard to explain sorry.

But in saying this, water snake motors are fraught with issues and most of the time its something electrical giving it grief. It doesn't matter if it isn't perfectly flat. Send it back to jarvis walker and get it replaced. A little flexing is to be expected if your tinny has thin metal. You could make a ply template and stick it underneath the front of your tinny like a sandwich plate to strengthen it!

CHECK THIS.......

Old 31-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Fingerling

I'll contact them tommorrow and hopefully all will be sorted. Now to find a big enough box to put it in!
Old 31-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Blue Lip

Happened to me at first, took it back to the shop and got a new one,
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but with my water snake at the moment the prop is making a squeaky noise, this happened to anyone else ? Maybe some oil or grease will fix it