Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 20-07-2015, 05:43 AM
Poddy Bream

Battery Chargers

Just wanting to know what brand chargers everyone is using for their deep cycle electric motor batteries? I did have a ctek which seemed fairly good until it s$&t itself. My battery is an 80 Ah.
Thanks
Old 20-07-2015, 07:30 AM
Fingerling

I have a marine series ctek and love it, no problems yet. Sorry I'm no help
Old 20-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Mature Bream

I ran a ctek but have changed over to a Projecta Pro charge. Use it on my 130ah and my 70ah. works well.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

Last edited by scottyfish; 20-07-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 20-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Blue Lip

I got mine from Jay Car and bits a 7 stage and does everything from wet, agm to lead calcium. Has been very solid in its performance over the years!

I regularly give all my 12v batteries a maintenance zap every 6 months to keep calcification down.

Some brand chargers rely on names to sell...
Old 22-07-2015, 03:37 AM
Big Bream

c tek are god, I have a Projecta. Better to spend the money on a good charger than spend money on batteries because you stuffed them by incorrect charging.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Blue Lip

In regards to the Amp rating on chargers .. What's the difference
Say. 6 amp charger to a 15 amp .. Is it just time ?

Cheers
Pig
Old 02-11-2015, 07:03 AM
Fingerling

got a ctek 24 v to run my bank of 2 x 12 v full river 120ah for my minn kota 80 lb I-pilot. Fantistic product.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Big Bream

Im with Biddestonman
I have exactly the same 24v C-tec and 80lb I pilot
have had the C-tec for about 7years and doesn't miss a beat

oh thanks for reminding me I will go and put it on now
Pflueger
Berkley
Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 AM
Fingerling

Charging from 12v outboard to 24v system

Hi, am currently charging my 24v Minn Kota via a Ctek MTX14 ie. mains power. I am running 2 x 120Ah AGM batteries( electric motor only) and the system work awesome. Have been thinking about running another charger/system directly from the 12v output on my Suzuki DF60A to the 24v bank. Any advice on how to/ brands would be greatly appreciated, thanks Biddestonman
Old 06-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigdog View Post
In regards to the Amp rating on chargers .. What's the difference
Say. 6 amp charger to a 15 amp .. Is it just time ?

Cheers
Pig

Yea, the higher the amps the quicker the charge. However a full charge on say 2amps could take a couple of days. The charge from 2 amps will be alot better for battery health and your charge will last a noticeable amount longer
Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 AM
Poddy Bream

Ctek or projecta are both good units but we had a fair few cteks in the early days come back with various faults.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:10 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normoh View Post
The charge from 2 amps will be alot better for battery health and your charge will last a noticeable amount longer
I know that is the case for NiMH and NiCd batteries if you charge low amps, but is it a proven fact for lead acid and AGM batteries? I don't know myself but those manufactures always recommend to charge at close to 10% of the Ah of the battery.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzo View Post
I know that is the case for NiMH and NiCd batteries if you charge low amps, but is it a proven fact for lead acid and AGM batteries? I don't know myself but those manufactures always recommend to charge at close to 10% of the Ah of the battery.
You might be right I'm not 100%,was just what I was taught and I seem to get a bit more life trolling impoundments. Shouldve mentioned I have no idea about agm either
Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Fingerling

If you get a on board charger you will be happy. Stays permanently connected. Its a smart charger so it thinks for itself regarding battery type and charge type. You just plug it into a lead and wait for the battery fully charged light on the charger to come on.

I have go a Dual Pro 3 bank 15 amp per bank charger to re-charge by 3 AGM batteries. I am very happy with it. They are made in the States and come in 220-240 volts (to keep things original on my boat made up a adaptor lead to suit the US style plug which is permanent on my G3 bass boat). Charger Pricey but good and reliable. Charges my 3 x 100AH batteries overnight so boat is ready for the next days comp fishing. Battery's are charged individually as well- so when one is fully charged the charging stops for that one but continues for the others. Has trickle and maintenance charging as well. Basically a power up and forget type of operation.

Links:- http://www.dualpro.com/product/realpro-series/ or http://www.dualpro.com/product/sportsman-series/ or http://www.dualpro.com/product/professional-series/

I upgraded from the 3 bank 18 AH Rec series that came from the factory with the boat, to a 45AH 3 bank Dual Pro to the professional series. They also make charges to suit all budgets i.e rec and sports series. You can also get chargers in 1,2, 3 and 4 bank versions (if you run 4 batteries in your boat). I run 3 batteries. Company is good to deal with and they have sold many a charger to Aussie customers.

Last edited by Braddo06; 04-10-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 AM
Mature Bream

I went to Autoelec.com and bought a 20amp Projecta 240v charger. No regrets at all and you won't beat their price. I've also got a Ctek dc to dc 12v unit in the Hilux that is good but serves a different purpose. When I'm away for a few days the solar panels do the job. If I was starting again, the first purchase would be the Projecta unit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: