Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Old 29-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Mature Bream

I like Dave's Jig Heads also.
Certainly I think they are far better (and also cheaper which is a bloody fantastic combination!!!) than what is advertised in alot of fishing mags/DVD/TV as the premium new brands of jigs. I think the hook quality really does it for me, lead is then only a secondary concern.
Having said that I haven't used EnviroJigs or TT, or probably most other brands. But Dave's are certainly the best I have so far come across.
Anyone know what is used in place of lead in the enviro? I am sure it is probably buried in a post from way back but I haven't come across it and I have been trawling the old posts for days and days to get familiar with things.
Old 30-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Fishing Tragic

Trade secret Ducks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 02-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Poddy Bream

cutlery grade Pewter ???????

Don't know about enviro's but many other enviro friendly jigs use pewter as a big part of the alloy (for want of a better word). The other environ. benifit of pewter is at the right melting temp there is very little toxic fumes given off.

Simon.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM
EnviroJigs

Im glad you said trade secret Bear .. It did take me a while to get it right. It certainly isnt pewter tho. It is an alloy however so there is a little mucking around with it.
We have been out of production for a little while but the new equipment has arrived and a few health issues that I have had have sorted themselves out so in the coming weeks they will be hitting all to stores again.
Also there is a new HWS type coming out as soon as the mold has finished and in the pipeline is dropshot weights and texas weights. Big things are on their way for my faithful customers

But Dave is right when he says to support the little guys. We dont actually make any money out of this cause we spend it all on tackle. Or in DAves case he spends it on those girls that always follow him :P
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Blue Lip

bring on the ENVIRO JIGS
more money on my
Landcruiser
"Im going to miss her"

GETTIN READY TO BRING THE RAIN
Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Blue Lip

I've never used the Enviro Jigs or the Jiggy Jigs before, think I will try them next time but my tackle store don't sell them, I don't think. Always prepared to try new ones if they are in my tackle store. I use Gama, Nitros and TT. In fact you just reminded me, I need some 1/8 for this weekend (not for breaming)!

Last edited by Lone Ranger; 02-05-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Big Bream

hahaha yeah they are still waiting to get paid!!!

Pretty easy to rope em in when ones an ex, ones a best mate, ones ya best mates girlfriend and ones your current girlfriend!!!

Originally they only asked for some wine and champa's to drink that afternoon...but they were all so hungover they didnt even want that...BARGAIN I tell ya!!!

I just got back from a session of product testing with Craig Bibra...oh man Salmon and Tailor are fun!!!

Old 03-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Mature Bream

LR, jiggy jig heads aren't available in stores. You can only get them from Dave via his site.
ENVIRO is available on the BM online store though I think? So it shouldn't be too hard to find some.
I understand the need for 'trade secrets' and all, but how do I know, as a walk in customer of a tackle shop, that they are actually lead free and enviro friendly unless someone can tell me what is used instead? There are alot of cynical people in this world, and they might not just take your word for it.
I might have to try some ENVIRO heads next time I place an order from BM
Old 03-05-2006, 03:31 AM
EnviroJigs

Hi Ducks,
Yes there is alot of cynical people out there and they certainly have the right to be cynical. What is basically boils down to is that I have a little niche market and rather than jepordise that by allowing a flood of other jigs using the same combination I prefer to keep it to myself. There is a couple of guys (namely my pro angers Bear, Dror and Ian Sewell) that know how they are made but thats basically where it will stay. These guys have great respect within the Breaming community and I know they wouldnt come on board if there was any chance that what I was selling wasnt the real deal
Old 03-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Big Bream

Hi Guys

Dave you mentioned that Bassmaster are Aust made, very true. Mark Mate in Gosford makes the jigs and he also does a line with the minnow head. The jigs are made with Owner, Gamakatsu and Mustad hooks.

I use the Bassmaster Owner roundball heads in 1/8th, 1/16th and 1/32nd for most applications carefully choosing the weight to match the conditions so that the jig is just workable in the strike zone. This gives a very natural presentation.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Big Bream

Apergole,

If you're fishing bream, fish as light as possible. It obviously depends on the current but even in current I seldom go more than 1/12 oz.

Normally I'm fishing 1/16 oz or 1/32 oz. You need to be as light as possible so as to not spook them. 1/8 oz is too heavy for my reckoning. I save that weight for the squire in the bay.
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"
Old 03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Big Bream

I forgot to mention,

I make my own jigheads as well. I seldom buy them and if I do, I am still stubborn enough to not buy any other jigheads except the TT jigheads.

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

I mostly use berkley powerjigs in 1/16th and 1/32...Fairly reasonable price and good quaility IMO.

I mostly use 1/8oz for the pinkies too but I'm sure they have their use for bream, k.ghost.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Big Bream

yep, 1/8 oz sure does have a use for breaming, but i've only used them once so far and that was on an oyster lease where the current was just ripping through that the only jighead holding nicely in the current was 1/8 oz.

We turned out 12 bream in an hr on that session before we decided not to drain the batteries too much and headed for home.

Happy Fishing

Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Big Bream

1/8th jigs most definately do have a place. I copped one of teh biggest smokings ive ever had using a 1/8th jig in a fast flowing area. Never had a bream pull line so easily from a well set drag.