Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > QLD Scene

Old 30-04-2003, 12:57 AM

Beginners (non boater) setup

I've just taken up fishing in December and have been bitten. (not many hooks bitten - just me).

So I met some QFM staff at the Tinnie show that convinced me to try out as a non boater to learn a lot in a short time.

I was wondering what minimum setup you would take along - rods, spools, lures - including quantities. I am sure my boater would not want to wait while I dropped into a tackle store on Saturday afternoon.

I've read the Steve Starling article - but I don't think I need to buy $5,000 worth of gear.

I'd also be interested in hearing about the practicalities and courtesies a non boater should observe.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 30-04-2003, 01:53 AM
Fishing Tragic

I you're just starting out then a good all round rod and reel is a good start. Starting out with 2 or 3 rods may not be what you're after.

A selection of hard body lures and soft plastics. This site is full of ideas, but a lot depends on where you're fishing and the structure.

I prefer tackle bags with trays to a tackle box. It's up to you, but have a look and see what you think.

You will need to supply your own life vest. ABT rules.

A good hat and a long sleeve shirt. Something light that you can wear in different conditions plus any other gear you may need to battle the weather.

I'll let the other guys add more from here.

HTH.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 30-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Big Bream

g'day gary and welcome to the site.go to the search forum and type in etiquette and a few threads come up in regard to boater/non boater etiquette.very good read and should point you in the right direction
cheers
Old 30-04-2003, 01:57 AM
The Angry Administrator

G`Day Gary.

Mate, I only started out in Sept myself, but for my first comp I just took a selection of the main softies that work (pumpkinseed, mucadine sliders etc) and 4 hard bodies. And my 1 and only rod. And my Epix 20 spooled up. (I took a spare rod - but it was a bait rod, and F/Glass so no good) That really was about it.

Thats really all you need for your first tournie.

But you will find in time that you will need a rod for hard bodies and one for soft plastics, one for flats fishing that can be used for snags...... having at least a second rod geared differently gives you the opportunity to try something different without wasting time, and retying knots etc.

It really comes down to $$ you have to assist your setting yourself up.

I now take about 30pkts of softies 80 hardbodies, 2-3 rods depending on the boater and boat size and locker space (2 rods min), spare spools, leader, split ring pliers (don`t need 2 sets), spotters, camera, spare hooks and sharpener and plenty of Ice Water, you`ll find the more you fish the more gear you will need to cover every contingency

As for the day, I just ensure I help my boater launch etc, give him first cast, unless he says stick one in there. If waiting to cast ask where hes gonna put his so you don`t piss him off. Thats about it. Try and keep him happy, an unhappy boater can certainly make your day miserable, but as a general rule all our WA Boaters have been grand to fish with.

Hope this waffle helps.

cheers

"Kill, Grill, Chill and Swill"

Last edited by Richo; 30-04-2003 at 02:02 AM.
Old 30-04-2003, 01:58 AM
Blue Lip

In my first Bream event here in Perth i took 2 rods, 1 of them was purely for emergencies. At that stage I only knew how to fish soft pllastics, so I took a small tackle box full of my favourites. I have since learnt how to use hard bodies and my small tackle box has grown into a no limits bag from Big W, with 7 boxes in it. This way I am ready for any situation. Make sure you have spare leader material, a sharp pair of sciscors to cut your leader, pliers and split ring pliers, if you are using hard bodies.

So what I am saying is take with you what you feel comfortable using. No point in taking something that you have no idea how to fish.

Make sure you take some water and suncream, and maybe something to nibble on. You will also need a PFD (personal flotation device).

Most boaters will tell you what they expect from you regarding when you can cast, sit, etc. Just be nice, have fun and learn heaps. I always offer my boater some fuel money, and if they refuse that a couple of nice cold beers usually goes down well.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mim
Old 30-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Mature Bream

Gary,
Although i haven't gotten into the BREAM comp scene (yet...beware ) i have been light tackle sport fishing for more than 15 years and have been fairly successful. Before you start forking out hundreds of dollars (let alone thousands) you will probably want some gear that will cover a few situations - not just for bream (oops, did i say that?).
This is by no means the definitive n00bs starting kit but it's a ...er...start:
A good quality 6' to 7' graphite rod and reel combo with say 4kg braid (including backing/leader material) should set you back $250 - don't kid yourself, it pays to have nice reliable gear. Spend another $100 on hard bodies, maybe the same for softies, and another $50 on some tools (pliers etc) and may be a Plano tackle box or two. That's a 10th of Starlo's . You may want to add an array of hooks, sinkers etc in case you want to target things like whiting, tailor etc with bait ...shhh .
You will be able to tackle bass, trout, perch and cod (et al) with this sort of set up.

Good luck mate

Last edited by mark savage; 30-04-2003 at 02:27 AM.
Old 30-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Mature Bream

can any body tell me where i can find this article by steve starling on his $5000 worth of gear ....????

cheer's drew
Old 30-04-2003, 04:45 AM
The Angry Administrator

It was in the ABT Newsletter....

Old 30-04-2003, 07:19 AM
Blue Lip

Yo Richo...and where can we find the ABT newsletter?
Old 30-04-2003, 04:29 PM

$5000 of gear

Thanks for all the advice so far - please keep it coming!

I have one OK rod a Starling /Miller designed graphite rod made in china and sold by Shimano - it came as a set with a Shimano 3bb reel. And I now have some fireline to try out.

The Steve Starling Article is in the ABT Tour Guide. Go to http://www.bream.com.au/ and click on DOWNLOAD 2003 TOuR GUIDE (top left of the page). Then click on Part 3 - Tackle Bags of The Pro's".

The $5000 was my rough estimate only - sorry of I offended.

I teach marketing and Business - it is valid right and proper for this type of aspirational article to be be published. Sponsors only sponsor as a form of Promotion (advertising). Without advertising newspapers would cost (an estimated ) $5 and there would only be the ABC on TV. And QFM would cost $??

I suppose what I wanted to read was not "Tackle bags of the Pro's" but "Tackle bags of the reasonably succesful amatuers" So if you guys can keep sending your tackle kit suggestions I will put such an article together!

I really enjoy the courtesy and kindness shown in this forum.

Its a great place to visit so I hope to meet some of you in June and buy you a Coke (hmmm maybe I can get them to sponsor me for that comment?)

see ya!

Gary
Old 30-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Web Master

Thumbs up 2 Rods

The guys hvae given some great advice. 2 matched rod and reel sets shouldn't cost you much more than $250 each for good quality equipment. I still use a Daiwa Heartland IM6 rod with a Daiwa Regal Z 1500c reel. I have two of these setup exactly the same, and they cost about $280 to buy retail.

When you are starting out with your casting, having exactly the same rod can be helpful. If you have to switch rods for some reason, you'll find the casting and retrieval speeds consistent between them. Less lures in trees means more time fishing.

Try and get a reel that has a spare spool, as you can spool this up ready to go in case you have a huge tangle.

4-5 packets of jigs will get you going, as will around $100 - $120 worth of assorted plastics. Read the forums and you will get a feel for what to buy initially. Stick to proven colours, styles etc.

Another $100 - $120 worth of hardbodies will give you a good selection, and the comment regarding some pliers, clippers etc. was a great one.

Don't scrimp on a tackle box as you will only replace it down the track when your collection grows. Some of the new soft tackle box bags are great.

Cheap sportsfishing when you think of it.

Warren.

Old 23-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Poddy Bream

Garry,

another thing to bring along with you as a non-boater which is not a written rule in the non-boaters handbook is, a few dollars to chip in for fuel, as i said this is not a written stone thing it is just plain old manners,another way around this is to buy your boater a few beers (10 or so).Mate i hope your first experience as a non-boater is as enjoyable as mine first was......

richard

Nitro Fishing Technologies
Secret Creek Lures
Shipton Trading Pty Ltd
Old 23-05-2003, 03:02 AM
Mature Bream

Where has everyone got their long sleeved shirts from...and roughly what was the cost?
Old 23-05-2003, 03:15 AM
The Angry Administrator

Pretty much any tackle shop should stock them - I got mine from BlueWater, but TRAKKA`s are about $60-$70 bucks and are only in Blue I believe. And COLUMBIAS come in a range of colours and are around $80-$90 bucks, and are a nicer material.

cheers

Old 23-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Blue Lip

Try the Rivers factory outlet. JP got his for about $35 from memory. They have 3-4 different colours, plus the sleeves zip off. Made from the same material as all the others, but cheaper

Cheers

Mim