Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Banned

Eagle Claw Trokar

Be interesting to get some local feedback

Eagle claw have mad pretty low end jig hooks (IMO) up until now, so they really need to produce something special to challenge the top end market
Old 14-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Mature Bream

Agreed. Ive not used eagle claw jig hooks but the trebels and bait hooks that I have used are definately the worst hooks ive used. Lets hope these trokar are everything they claim. The feedback ive seen online has been very positive about everything but the price.
Old 15-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Blue Lip

You are spot on. I was getting confused with what are on the Ko Man Chi spinnerbaits. I was mucking around with both at around the same time.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 15-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
You are spot on. I was getting confused with what are on the Ko Man Chi spinnerbaits. I was mucking around with both at around the same time.
those matzuo hooks are AWESOME, so sharp

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 16-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Dead Set Legend

I have had terrific service from fishaholic, recommended.

Quality hooks from a guy who understands the difference, thumbs up..
Old 18-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVBfishaholic View Post
Hi All
I have had a chat with one of my mates in the US (who was still awake) who fishes FLW tournaments about these Trokar hooks. He has not used them much, but they are supplied by sponsors to some of the guys and he is going to get their opinions for me over the next week or so.
I worked in the US previously and got to know a few of these pro's on the bass tour. I obtain my jig hooks from the US through these contacts.

Trokar Jig Hooks
They are made by Eagle Claw and the main differential is the triangular surgical grind on the point, which EC are claiming, makes them sharper than a chemically sharpened hook.

They are very pricey (cause they are new) and hard to get in smaller sizes. The 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 sizes run at about AU$1.30 per hook retail and the 4/0 has a wire gauge of 1.5mm (About the same as a Gama 604HD)

Below is the tech info and marketing claim:

Ultra premium jig hook with ultra sharp triangular point and black chrome finish.
Trokar Jig Hooks are designed with a unique triangular point to penetrate faster and easier. The three edges are high speed ground to surgical sharpness. The Trokar Jig Hooks are made with high carbon, cold forged steel and heat treated for just the right amount of impact strength and flexibility. Low profile barb for easier penetration yet ultimate holding power. Trokar Jig Hooks are twice as sharp as any other hook on the market.

A couple of pics
Hi All
I have done some investigation into sourcing Trokar hooks to produce jigheads, as well as spoken to my contacts in the US for feedback.

Trokar Jig Hooks are an O'Shaughnessy pattern hook and I can currently get hold of;
  • Trokar TK800 60 degree bend Ultra HD hook 3/0 to 5/0 - US$99.00 per hundred
  • Trokar TK835 60 degree bend Ultra Premium #1 - 6/0 - US$95.00 per hundred
  • Trokar TK840 90 degree bend HD hook 1/0 to 6/0 - US$95.00 per hundred
The above prices are ordering 1000 at a time and include delivery to me in Australia.

Based on these prices and the feedback below I will not be going ahead with purchasing any at this stage. The price is OTT compared with other chem sharpened jighooks - will stick with Gamakatsu and Sickle Black Chrome. I am not convinced that this is not just a marketing ploy by Eagle Claw.

The feedback from the guys on the FLW circuit (who are only using the Trokar trebles) is that they don't see any huge difference, in strength or penetrating power, between the Trokar and other premium chem sharpened trebles such as Owner and Gamakatsu. The view is that they have not found fault with them yet, but they are no "silver bullet"

I would be interested to hear from any of you who do decide to try these hooks out to make jigheads or buy jigheads made on these hooks.
Old 18-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Mature Bream

Should have some sort of feedback after next weekends trial in the jew gauntlet.
Old 20-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVBfishaholic View Post
Be interesting to get some local feedback

Eagle claw have mad pretty low end jig hooks (IMO) up until now, so they really need to produce something special to challenge the top end market
They are improving, since they've moved production back to the US a lot the of the range has been redone.
L570BP's are nice hooks, whereas most standard 570's aren't.

Having said that I make a lot with Matzu's too, and Gamakatsu 604's, as well as VMC's for a more budget option.
Old 20-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Mature Bream

Great thread guys, its been informative reading. I've always used brand name jigheads as I figure terminal tackle is important. It is after all the gear that holds the fish on the end of your line. I stocked up on heaps of cheap Squidgy jigs for snaggy spots, or for friends/kids to use. Good to know I can buy with confidence from some eBay sellers. I had looked at old mate fishaholic before
Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Poddy Bream

Bump

Just hoping to get some more info pumped into this useful thread.

Fishaholic, pm to be sent.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

In my opinion this topic has now been pretty well discussed and as someone who has been involved in the fleabay marketplace for many years my comments on the original point of discussion are;

The prime purchasing driver for the majority of buyers in this marketplace is value for money and the perception they are picking up a bargain. Successful sellers understand this and deliver a product that meets the customer need.

The majority of the non brand name manufactured jigheads sold in this market use low to mid quality jig hooks, as this is what sells. Many of the listings do not outline the jighooks they use - for a reason.

Jigheads made with quality hooks such as Gamakatsu, Mustad BLN and Matzuo Sickle Black Chrome are very slow to move, even at a significantly lower price per unit than the commercial brands available at retail stores.

Should you be considering in purchasing jigheads in this marketplace I would advise due diligence - message the seller and ask specific questions about their product including the brand and part number of the hooks they are using. Reputable sellers will have no issue providing this information and entering into a dialogue.

It is a case of "buyer beware" and "if it looks to good to be true - it usually is"
Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Mature Bream

Of the brand name stuff, my favourite for value would be Berkley powerjigs. The 1/4oz hooks have a silvery coating that comes off after a while, but they go pretty good IMO a last a while. They also have a 1/32oz thats great value, 10 for 6 bucks from the most expensive chain I know and they last well.

But other than that, I stick with TT, Squidgy, Nitro etc. I also find I NEED to have the jighead in front of me before purchasing. I kinda visualise how it'll sit in the soft bait, how far down the hook will pop out, if the keeper will tear it to shreads of not, how thick is the hook, etc, so I haven't dabbled in ebay for this reason.

One other thing I do is my jigheads have their own seperate small tackle box, and I have a heap of rice in there to absorb moisture. Works a treat esp when you load up on cheaper heads (eg Squidgy)
Jew - 76cm using Squidgy wriggler prawn
Bass - 45cm using Strada Riot 55 Surface walker
Estuary Perch - 39cm on Berkley Pop Dog
Tarwine - 27cm using Squidgy Wriggler
Silver Trevally - 42cm using Evercatch blade

Last edited by timk1111; 04-07-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 30-07-2014, 03:21 AM
Blue Lip

The old Nitro's used to have a cutting point,since they moved away from that hook i now use the TTT or headlocks,DohDohDoh stock the cheaper TTHeadhunters but i wouldn't trust my 50cm fish to them because of the lighter gauge and a few problems with eyelet cutting leaders and opening up.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 12-02-2015, 12:17 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
i buy some 1/8th and 1/16th jig heads off a guy in qld who makes them and sells on Eee bayyy , They are GREAT , #2 Gamakatsu hook is what i get and i have caught bream and even snapper on them , never had a problem with them , and 100 jig heads for around $50 why wouldnt you ?
I still use TT and Impact tackle jigheads but there will always buy and use the ones ive mentioned above
would you still have that ebay seller's info? please point the way to where to purchase such good quality and cheap jig head for a fellow fisho!

thanks mate
Old 12-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfung81 View Post
would you still have that ebay seller's info? please point the way to where to purchase such good quality and cheap jig head for a fellow fisho!

thanks mate
You can find him at fishaholic jigheads on facebook.

Don't know if he does the 'bay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: