Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > Campers, Tents and More

Campers, Tents and More Brands, styles what do you want to make your home away from home?

Old 16-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Blue Lip

Tent Cot Or Swag...Pro's And Cons?

Looking at upgrading the old swag, it's done me well over the years but think It's time to upgrade.

I've used a stretcher most of the time with the swag thrown on top, it's done the job very well but since breaking the stretcher on the last trip out in the bush I'm thinking of possibly going down the road of a tent cot?

I'm looking for something that doesn't take up to much space and is quick and easy to set up.

Thoughts?
Old 16-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Fingerling

G'day sexton have used a oz tent for years its brilliant , easy to set up & keeps every thing dry & bug proof a bit pricey but well worth the investment but i always use a ground sheet for a clean pack up , hope this helps .
Old 16-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Blue Lip

Hey mate, thanks for the reply.
Thinking of investing in one of these.
http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/...tra-large.html
Old 16-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Mature Bream

I researched those before buying my swag (based on price mostly, got a bargain). Good wraps generally except that they can get cold and have condensation issues being off the ground. Might not be a concern in your location though.

I've used my swag a bit. Great bit of gear and comfy as hell, just massive when rolled up. It's a kings/ darche double so too big to fit your brief.
Old 16-03-2016, 05:55 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Why do you guys prefer a swag or tent-cot to a 3-man tent and a Lilo. I only tend to camp when its hot these days. The last few times its been too hot for a sleeping bag, so air flow and a place to sprawl, out are high on my list

I imagine its the speed of setup, because thats where the advantages stop in my mind.

I know guys who camp out alot more than me that use Swags - I've just never thought to ask them why they stopped using tents
Old 16-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Why do you guys prefer a swag or tent-cot to a 3-man tent and a Lilo. I only tend to camp when its hot these days. The last few times its been too hot for a sleeping bag, so air flow and a place to sprawl, out are high on my list

I imagine its the speed of setup, because thats where the advantages stop in my mind.

I know guys who camp out alot more than me that use Swags - I've just never thought to ask them why they stopped using tents
To much of a hassle mate, takes to long to set up and personally I find sleeping in a swag a lot more comfy than a tent. Just a matter of personal preference I guess. Though one tent I have seen that I liked was Hooked's, his set up certainly looks like it could handle the elements.
Old 16-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdog View Post
I researched those before buying my swag (based on price mostly, got a bargain). Good wraps generally except that they can get cold and have condensation issues being off the ground. Might not be a concern in your location though.

I've used my swag a bit. Great bit of gear and comfy as hell, just massive when rolled up. It's a kings/ darche double so too big to fit your brief.
Starting to second guess myself after having a bit of a think last night, though I do like the idea of the tent cots.

Anyone here have any experience with the tent cots? Need someone to convince me into buying one.
Old 16-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
Hey mate, thanks for the reply.
Thinking of investing in one of these.
http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/...tra-large.html
I have one of these but not the XL model.

Its great, I don't find it cold at all quite the opposite. Though in winter I do put a self inflating mattress inside purely for extra comfort but find in summer the mattress retains to much body heat so out it goes when its warm.

Quick to setup and pull down as all you do is throw the fly over the top the mattress is permanently connected to the stretcher base unlike the wanderer tent cots.

Some of these in the XL had issues with the build at some stage so may pay to keep an eye out for issues.
In saying that mine has been fantastic.

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...75&postcount=8
Old 16-03-2016, 06:31 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
To much of a hassle mate, takes to long to set up and personally I find sleeping in a swag a lot more comfy than a tent. Just a matter of personal preference I guess. Though one tent I have seen that I liked was Hooked's, his set up certainly looks like it could handle the elements.
Yeah my other objection is the amount of space they take up when packing the car - theres enough stuff to argue about on camping trips without me having to leave most of my stuff at base camp so the swags will fit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3844.jpg (28.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 3843.jpg (61.6 KB, 187 views)
Old 16-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
I have one of these but not the XL model.

Its great, I don't find it cold at all quite the opposite. Though in winter I do put a self inflating mattress inside purely for extra comfort but find in summer the mattress retains to much body heat so out it goes when its warm.

Quick to setup and pull down as all you do is throw the fly over the top the mattress is permanently connected to the stretcher base unlike the wanderer tent cots.

Some of these in the XL had issues with the build at some stage so may pay to keep an eye out for issues.
In saying that mine has been fantastic.

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...75&postcount=8
That's what I'd like to hear, cheers.
Yeah was a little off putting reading those comments, though it was 2years ago, hopefully they might of rectified the issue by now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah my other objection is the amount of space they take up when packing the car - theres enough stuff to argue about on camping trips without me having to leave most of my stuff at base camp so the swags will fit
They certainly do take up a bit of room at times.
Old 16-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Blue Lip

Bit the bullet and brought a Jet Tent Bunker XL online...Now I just have to play the waiting game until it arrives.
Old 16-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Bit the bullet and brought a Jet Tent Bunker XL online...Now I just have to play the waiting game until it arrives.
Keep us informed, Ive been looking at upgrading to one as well.

I use a swag when car space allows. Otherwise I use a 3 man tent, which takes up far less space, but a bit more setting up. When doing bike tours, I use a two man hiking tent, sleeping bag and inflatable mattress which all fits into a small bag.
Way back in the Good ol' Days, I used to muster on horseback, for that I would just take a small tarp (which could fit in my coat pocket!)and a sleeping bag that I'd compress and bind up to fit into the saddlebags, along with a bit of food, smokes and a bottle of Port.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Old 16-03-2016, 10:52 PM
Blue Lip

I use a Boab double dome swag I got from Bring Cash Fool when it was on sale. It's basically a tent/swag hybrid with a super comfy mattress and I rate it highly. I think it's worth saying that swags don't take up room, their mattresses do. I have taken the mattress out of mine before and the whole thing rolls up to be as small as any 2 man tent. You could easily stash your inflatable mattress and sleeping bad inside it and roll it up if you need the room. The thing I like about the swag VS a tent is that when I go camping in winter (which I prefer) and it's -10 outside the canvas is a much better insulator and basically turns the thing into an oven. Last time I used it out near Rocky Glen it got down to -5 and I had nothing but a blanket on me because my sleeping bag was too hot, and that was with the vets open.
Old 16-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Big Bream

I was going to go down the path of a tent cot a while ago. I decided to borrow a mates for a few trips and was completely put off the idea. They heat up really easy which is a pain in summer and abit of a pain to sleep in when they arnt completely level.

Nothing because a swag in The back of the ute for me!
Old 17-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
Keep us informed, Ive been looking at upgrading to one as well.

I use a swag when car space allows. Otherwise I use a 3 man tent, which takes up far less space, but a bit more setting up. When doing bike tours, I use a two man hiking tent, sleeping bag and inflatable mattress which all fits into a small bag.
Way back in the Good ol' Days, I used to muster on horseback, for that I would just take a small tarp (which could fit in my coat pocket!)and a sleeping bag that I'd compress and bind up to fit into the saddlebags, along with a bit of food, smokes and a bottle of Port.
Certainly will do for sure mate, should arrive in a weeks time.

That would of been a damn good experience doing the musters, I bet you'd have some good stories to tell.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: