Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > Campers, Tents and More

Campers, Tents and More Brands, styles what do you want to make your home away from home?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Curve View Post
I really like the look of the Oztent RV's. Can anyone give me an idea on the practical space inside a RV5? I need enough room for two adults and two small kids. If the sides and front are used with the awning along with the floor mat, can that space be used for bedding as well?

Looking forward to your responses.
Regards,

T Curve
A family man friend of mine has this set up, he enjoys it, just the long pack up size is a disadvantage, with sides and front you can sleep in the front, it doesn't connect to a floor sheet so heavy rain will see wet ground
Old 18-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Administrator

I am going to presume that the other person you are traveling with is your partner and not your good mate?

There are a heap of tents out there that are awesome as everyone has said, going by the post so far I would guess if you own a tent it is a pretty good one. We all choose them for our own needs. Tents have a major draw back (obvious I know) you have to put them up and take them down!

I have the Blitz 300 (I have a family) it is an awesome tent, fast put up and take down. BUT I wouldn't recommend it to you for what you are doing.

A while back I bought for a mate of mine a rooftop tent. it sat on my front porch for a couple of weeks waiting for him to finish his swing. When I first saw it I was wondering what the hell he was thinking. After playing with it for a few days and now having gone away on a number of trips with him I can say it is an amazing bit of kit.

Unfortunately for me having a kid means it is no good for me, but for two it is perfect. Pull up anywhere, flick a latch, hydraulic struts erect your tent, crawl in and you are camping. Raining, same thing.

You can pull in to a spot for a fish and the missus can have a nap. You can travel into the night and not worry about having light to set up camp.

No sleeping gear in the car, as it all lives in the roof top tent pillows doona and all.

Get the awning on the side of the racks for cooking and sitting under and you are styling. wherever your car is you can sleep within seconds.

Before seeing one in use, I thought they were the biggest waste of roofrack space I had ever seen and would never have recommended it or considered one.

If you intend on moving around a bit then this is certainly well worth looking into.

It is a hard decision, so best of luck with it.

Oh to be single again and just roll out a swag anywhere.

This is like the one my mate has http://www.autohomeaustralia.com.au/...ry=2&product=5

Ian.

Last edited by Ian Sewell; 18-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Poddy Bream

We have had the Black Wolf turbo 240 plus canvas. Good tent. You can stand up straight in it and has more than enough room for the family and stuff that needs to stay indoors back at camp when heading off for the day.
Withstands the wind very well and the floor is very thick. Solid tent but with that comes weight and you must allow for space in your vehicle.
If you do get this tent; before you open it up, take a video on your phone so you know how to pack it up again. Was very helpful for the fist few times or even after a long time of not doing it.
Enjoy the trip!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Mature Bream

I have a black wolf 3m turbo tent, the best tent I ever owned, easy up and easy down on my own and the fly is big and gives you 3m in front for table seat and cooking gear, if you use it a lot and like space this is the tent to get.
Bruce
Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Big Bream

After a lifetime of camping with a multitude of different tents, I've come to the conclusion that you can't beat the good old safari style, centre pole, tent for ease of putting up, simplicity and longevity.

I don't particularly like the new turbo style tents after the one I owned decided to break at a crucial moment. They're overly complicated, IMO, to make them a long lasting option.

I've owned and used my great little Macpac Ultralite 1 man tent for 20 years. It has withstood conditions that would have flattened most tents instantly. It is still in great shape even now. Having said that, it isn't the tent I would choose to take away on a round Australia trip. Setting it up takes too much time, if you compare it to one of the 'instant tents' that are now available. These tents literally set themselves up when you throw them on the ground. IMO, you can't beat them, convenience wise, for overnighters in good weather. In addition I always take along a good quality 3 x 3m fly and a couple of poles, etc, which can be rigged up for added weather protection and/or for shade purposes, if I think I need it.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Mature Bream

I do a fair bit of travel and overnighting with work and find that a good swag and an additional awning is both convenient and practical as you can set up what you need for the conditions each day.
I have an ultima swag
http://www.ultimaswag.com/compact.htm

with midge proof mesh and a totally removable canvas cover you can sleep comfortably under the stars or on 3 degree rainy nights. I put the car awning up so it stays drier for pack up but uber customisable.

Drawbacks, big round swag that takes up plenty of room unless you can chuck it on the roof or in the back of a tray.

My 2 cents worth...
Old 07-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Poddy Bream

Yeah im a big fan of the swag also... however on a 6 month trip your probably gonna face some rough weather, often for longer periods. We used a tjm rooftop tent for the last couple of years and i couldnt fault it once. The price on most rooftop tents is pretty steep but remember they hold there value for resale pretty well too. i think its worth you checking out if your considering throwing a packed up tent on the roof rack anyway....

Im jealous mate, id love to pack it in and spend 6 months exploring
Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Big Bream

Swag on a stretcher and an awning off the side of a 4x4 for wet weather... All i had for 5 months a few years back and it was great....
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Big Bream

Has anyone got a Black Wolf Turbo twin tent in either the 240 or 300 size? I haven't had the opportunity to see one erected and before pulling the trigger to purchase one, I wanted an honest opinion if possible. Having two young kids is the reason behind wanting the twin as opposed to the normal turbo 240 or 300 so they are in a separate section when sleeping.
Regards,

T Curve
Old 04-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Big Bream

Have a look at the Diamantina range. They make good tents and i was told that they make the only waterproof tent that isn't canvas. I have one with an annexe and I love it.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Blue Lip

Look up the pop up tent Cinch.this guy got a kick starter set up with solar panels to charge up a pack so you can charge a phone etc.It has lights and pegs that light up so you dont hurt yourself.
Im waiting on them to come out soon and getting one.
Bugger poles etc.I think this is a great tent from what ive seen
https://www.google.com.au/url?url=ht...xfcHQBlaMZP-1g
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Mature Bream

After looking at a fair few tents, a couple of years ago I purchased a Kodiac Canvas Flex-bow tent from Longway Leisure in QLD, and have been very happy with it. It takes about 10-15 minutes to set-up, the floor is really high quality and the canvas is fantastic too.
The only thing is it doesn't have a room divider, although one could be made and added fairly easily as there are attachment points inside.

http://www.longwayleisure.com.au/

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: