Go Back   Bream Master Forums > WAFM > WAFM Chat

WAFM Chat Let us know what you think and what you'd like to see more of.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:31 AM
Mature Bream

WAFM and bream??

DohDohDohDohDohDohDoh has a big bream spread this issue and so does DohDohDoh and HotbIte has Mad Phil's usual column etc.

I don't believe (possibly wrong but doubt it) that WAFM (which has been often bagged as too 'bream' focused by others) has anything at all about bream (outside of usual tournamnet info at back) in this issue.

interesting.

starting a thread about 'fish you'd like to see in a fish mag. outside of bream' on a bream site is kinda dumb, but i'll ask anyway.

besides bream (naturally) what other species of fish do WAFM readers wanna read about?

Possibly it's species like skippy/tailor obtainable from bream-type locations and accessible on bream-type gear??

is anyone able to pass on what other fish or type of fishing they'd find interesting in an artilce?

Big boat trips to Rowley Shoals and Montebello's does nothing for me.

so also, what else maybe wouldn't you be keen on seeing WAFM start focusing on?

i must say the rock stuff i'de done so for WAFM has been unconventional in compariosn to what else has filled the pages to date (don't worry i've got reef wading, beach fishing, tailor poppering etc all coming).

i personally am sitting on all types of different stuff i could write about and i'm pretty sure Kurt has a variety of people's artciles to consider going in and writers are also possibly wondering what would spark ireader's interest and worth pursuing.

any comments - fish or types fishing do/don't want to see in mag.

??? thanks for any opinions/replies in advance.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:49 AM
EnviroJigs

I know what I would like to see Monksie but Im in the process of writing an article for it anyway :P
The problem with this type of question and any fishing magazine is that the majoirt of "that fish" story have been done in any number of different formats. Thats what we get for having multiple magazines and prime species . Things I like to see are out side of the norm. Things like Bears article on mini jigging or things like Dror and me catching redfin on metals and bass style spinner baits. Perhaps the joys of incidental catches when targetting "blah" species.
Perhaps the idea of community minded stories like taking a bunch of kids on a charter free of charge and watching them catch herring and garfish and REALLY enjoying it like we all did when we were kids.
Perhaps a story on a not so well known competition like the Kalbarri Classic. Now that some one is stealing all my ideas what about a tour of a tackle manufacturer. Something like Halco (but I think that has been done).
Its not really about being unconventional just different. Kurts story about Snapper from the stones is a perfect example.
There are thousands of bloody "How to" articles in magazines. What about "why does it work" etc. Hmmm I should just shut up now before I give everyone all my ideas for articles
Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 AM
Poddy Bream

yes, id love to see something unconventional written. the piece of tusslign tuna with bream gear and mini-jigging were probably some of the best i've seen in a while.

just some suggestions, how about an article of offshore jigging with sps? (around reefs, etc) not just for the usual skippy, but perhaps something more.

i'd also like a little expose' on the swan and canning. sure i know a fair bit from shore and maybe off a boat, but i'd love to see someone do it from an underwater angle (dive shots, etc). to top it off, how about an underwater pic of well know bream spots like the canning bridge or spyc, to convey just how much bream hold there, and how little/many actually get caught? a mate of mine has told me that hes snorkled under some of the spyc jetties before, and there are just massive schools of bream holding there, yet theyre 'untemptable'

also, although this may alienate the general reader t osome extent, i'd love to see more technical writing being done about gear etc. jsut for rods for eg, an explanation of light medium heavy actions, how it loads differently can affect the way you fish. or a little bit more on the technique of the humble soft plastic, not jsut for bream of course (tournament angler guide 2005 had awesome technical info, but im sure that more can be done). there are times when i go to the tackle shop and i still dont know what theyre going on about ;p ;p especially when choosing new gear, not jsut the basics of what your looking for (graphite, 2-4kg bla bla bla, but what kind of action/stiffness etc suits a certain style, etc etc.... may be a bit too bream-y though perhaps)

last bit, i quite liked the info given on the 'fishing rocko flats' article. some may argue its quite general info, so maybe a bit more insights into the art (or lack of =p =p) of bottom bouncing could be done?

just my 2 c =D
Old 03-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Mature Bream

bloody fantastic feedback.

but is there also the other side of the unconventional new fads (eg baby vibes) and room for back to basics like... (dare i say it) 'bait fishing for bream' for example'? or has the market/fisher moved on?

this pic of Dolly holding his spaniard sez it all - ya only have to look at Dolly's face to see how super-chuffed he is and how much it meant to him. but is there a story in the capture ('trolling along and along came a spaniard') in it for the public/reader.?

in the last few years the sudden variety of innovative tackle and techniques has been more that the 2 decades that proceeded it i reckon (and you bream buffs at the forefront most often).

However there are parametres you can't break free from. if i tried writing an article about blue groper fishing from the rocks on lure or fly i'd need 3 lifetimes to do it for example.

ps - BUBBA i can't wait to se it when it comes out cob' you've got me in hell suspense now???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dollyspaniard.jpg (47.5 KB, 624 views)

Last edited by monksie; 03-08-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:49 AM
EnviroJigs

I have one (hopefully the next issue if I get some more photos) that has seen a recent explosion over east but no one has dont it here to my knowledge.
The other one I am writing is about a place Ted Rose loves with a twist . If you know Ted you might guess the place but if you know it keep it quite
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Mature Bream

I like reading about shore based tailor fishing on lures/poppers at places accessable by 4x4 and stuff like that. You know, the hard yards adventure kinda fishing to places like lucky bay and shark bay. Not too keen on places much further north than that cos well, its just too far. haha.

Oh, and I dont mind a bit of crash n bash through blue berry bush trout fishing as well.

But more importantly...I like 'site specific' articals. Not things like "the rocks on the south coast between denmark and albany are great fishing......" or "snapper from shore can be caught anywehre that deep water meets the shoreline...here's some we caught between Dongara and Shark Bay". I'd rather it be, "x rock, about 20kms drive east of denmark is great for fishing." Perhaps without giving away 'TOO' much.

Also, in the articals, I like seeing/hearing about rigs and what lure types. Not looking closely at pictures and trying to guess what sin the fish's mouth. Especially shore based bait fishing, I'd like to know what kinda rigs are used.

Geez..hope it doesnt sound like I want the aurthor to go n catvh me a fish. haha.

Just my 2c.

SHANE
Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Mature Bream

Ted Rose Bubba?? - doubt it'd be Steep, Warroora, Upper Swan Bream, Long Point (Rockinham one) or Kalbarri tailor?? All money's on Augusta area (blackwood bream or beach fishing across mouth). Try and get Ted to do another goat hunting article - good stuff.

I'm nto the same stuff as you Jig Jedi but jeeez... that's too much of a wish list. Almost like cast out for me and hook the fish for me and then let me wind it in. There has to be some 'look-see' on your part.

I know what you mean, but if someone did say 'print/publish' what number post at Busso Jetty they catch all their best big winter mully when they run, do you think you'd then be able to get near that spot or that that would be a good thing?

Even on a small platform like Garths Rock there are a couple specifc spots that are a little more productive to cast from - but it only takes you a trip or two to find out for yourself where and then you're in.

one thing i love about fishing is the thrill of stumbling around a bend in a river upon a trout rapid never seen/heard of beofre, or making the effort to round that next headland to discover a rockhopping ledge from heaven - that's half what it's all about for me.

a 'general' location/diretion should be enough and just allow a little bit of extra time to suss a spot is all.

only DohDohDoh give GPS spots for sale.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Big Bream

some more freshwater stuff would be cool
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Fingerling

A good point you make Monks.

Perhaps a four page spread on 'Long Toms, Tackle and Techniques'.

or

'Stalking the elusive Wrasse'

That would really boost sales!!!

But seriously anything on Cobia would be great, easily the most underrated fish in our waters.

Perhaps i could post a few pics to stimulate interest? (wink wink Monks!)
Old 03-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Big Bream

Yeah, back to basics, let's not assume

I recently came across an eastern states fishing mag which only concentrated on 3 different species of fish, bream being one of them. I thought it was a fantastic mag indeed.

One article concentrated on telling you how to position the boat and why, it showed diagrams of the boats, depth, shore, where the wind came from, advised on which side and where to cast to, suggested using 3 different types of lures explaining the advantages of deep divers and surface lures for the various depths and situations, where the fish could be hiding,etc. Also had things like 10 reasons why the fish could be shut down, and what to do, the psychological effect of a bad days fishing and what to do . It also concentrated on a particular type of sp and using a weightless hook and suggesting to use mono leader and not a sinking flurocarbon? etc etc.

Basically, how about going back to basics (on anything really). Everything they suggested they gave a reason, showed pictures, covered why not to do the other, and didn't assume that readers know the basics. It was very educational for me and will be getting the next one but cost me $10 and Kim Bain don't even mean a thing to me!

Last edited by breamdreamer; 03-08-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Poddy Bream

whoa... id love to get a hold onto somethign like that for a good read. is it possible to share the name/ed of that mag, or some of its points? sounds veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery informative

c'mon people! if they can do it in the east, we can do it in the west
Old 03-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Big Bream

Hi Kay-C, it was what you can only say a wicked book. I thought it was best not to mention the name as this is a WAFM site, will PM you.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Mature Bream

Barra, Bass and Bream??

i don't reckon mentioned that will dent WAFM sales - especially when we don't get bass (well, not s'pose to ) or barra in SW WA and i'm sure you guys can't get enough bream material regardless.

yeah a quality mag, but useless for WA locations etc.

got a shore-based cobia piece for early next year almost ready to go now Roo Boy - even shows Bob gaffing all my big fish he couldn't catch.

Last edited by monksie; 03-08-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Big Bream

Didn't mean even think it may dent the WAFM sales, no way, just a courtesy, I thought May be a beginner, but disagree, no not all of it is hopeless for WA locations. JMO
Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Mature Bream

too true BreamDreamer, i just meant specifc WA spots (Swan Blackwood etc).

of course mag articles about reading river structure etc can apply to anywhere in OZ and of course relevant to all breamers.