Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Poddy Bream

Sunline super pe vs toray radius

Wondering what people feel is better.

I am considering toray more after recently using some as it seemed to get less wind knots. I remember super pe had terrible knots. Super pe is obviously better value which is throwing me.

Any input?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Mature Bream

Have used both, and I'm back to using Sunline.

I found the Toray wasn't supple enough, and had random breakages for no reason, often it wasn't at a knot either.

The Toray is thin too, thinner that I like. I use 8 or 10lb Super PE. The Toray is probably a touch thinner than 6lb Super PE?

I also don't get wind knots with Sunline, so have no reason to use anything else.

Next spool I buy will be SAS braid though.

Last edited by mikey-; 01-04-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Blue Lip

I've always used Super PE in 6lb, 8lb and both been great.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Mature Bream

I been using Sunline Super PE 6lb...got no problem at all. I just order a Daiwa Luvias 2004H and will be happy to choose Sunline again
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Mature Bream

I have been using Super PE for awhile now and I have never had the problem with wind knots. So personally I would keep going PE
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post
Wondering what people feel is better.

I am considering toray more after recently using some as it seemed to get less wind knots. I remember super pe had terrible knots. Super pe is obviously better value which is throwing me.

Any input?
u should be more specific as to which super pe you had trouble with in the past. well known fact that a lot of people had trouble with 6lb super pe and people who use 8lb have had little or no issues with it

i have 8lb super pe and 10lb radius and both work fine for me. also have 2/3/4 lb crystal/exceed/microfuse and also have no troubles with these lines either

prefer using fused braids when it is going to be a windy day as they have a bit more 'weight' to them.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Blue Lip

Super PE is good as it cost less but Radius comes in 200m spools and changes colour ever 25m from memory.
Super PE is more supple so you'll need to manage your line more often, any loose wraps on the spool will give you headaches. They both cast well but Super PE probably casts further. The only thing i hate about Radius is the red colour... the first few times you use it, it bleeds all over your rod/reel. It's pretty annoying if you have light coloured reels and cork handles on your rods.
I use both on different setups and they're both good overall.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Big Bream

I now use 6lb super pe on my reels as have found it to be the best & at a decent price. I also had some wind knots at first but it was more the reel than the line & other lines were alot worse. Now that Ive made adjustments to my reel I find super pe is great & often have fishing buddies comment how far I can cast with it. I respooled my certate 2004 with it yesterday & will be ordering another certate soon & will be putting super pe on that also.

Kayak PB's - Rainbow Trout 43cm - Bream 41cm - Flathead 55cm - Tailor 60+cm - Flounder 44cm - Sand Whiting 31cm - KGW 35cm - Mangrove Jack 33cm.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Mature Bream

I know that the breakages in Super PE was a well known problem, but after seeing a mate pull his hair out with the stuff I could never buy a spool.

I use radius on my spin gear, cant complain at all, casts well, doesn't break for funny reasons and wind knots are operator error anyway.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Big Bream

I have never had a drama with super pe, had it in many different sizes and all have been flawless
Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Fingerling

Radius hands down, way nicer to handle and stronger for the same thickness.

For example you can get 10lb Radius and it's the same thickness as 6lb super pe.
No windknots, no hassles.

And you get 50m more on a spool!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Just so you all know..

Radius is more expensive at $60 for 200m
Super PE is 300M for $60. <- Cheaper.

I do note the red colour, it also fades to pink and that looks cheap. Still holds as a braid though.

I love the colour change. Never used it as an real feature though.

I only had super PE for a short period of time, it was taken away by a large unmanagable tangle.

Might get the super pe just for price. Maybe get toray for larger setups for strength.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM
Big Bream

I haven't used today, however got a reel spooled with 6lb sunline for chasing flatties & salmon, never had a problem with it. casts just as far as frog and frog is much more expensive.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Big Bream

Hi All

Some interesting points raised with regards to braid choices. You need to bare in mind though that 1 model of braid does not make a brand. Toray and Sunline are both LARGE companies that make a LOT of different braids. If you want to make a comparison with braids then you need to compare a version that is similar. It is strange to hear that some people have had Raidus "bleed" as I have had it on 4 of my spin reels now for over a year and hve not had this happen. I have Light fish PE spooled on 1 reel, Saltline finesse spooled on one reel , radius on 4, Powergame on 2 and Super Strong PE and radius spooled on the majority of my baitcasters which I use for bass and barra. None of the radius on any of theses reels have showed signs of bleeding used in both slat and fresh. (Yes I do Have plenty of fishing rods, that happens when you get a bit older as you tend to stockpile them and you always need another one) All of these braids have been on the reels for over a year and I generally fish 1 to 3 times a week every week so they have had a pretty good test. I have fished all of the entire Sunline range and can't complain about any of them ( I was sponsored by them for 5 years) till I started Fish-Tec. As with any manufacturer you will have the ocasional issue with manufacture -human error- it happens. I believe that both Toray and Sunline are great braids but I do believe that the Toray brands seem to have a longer lifespan on a reel. But as mentioned this would depend entirely on the quality of the product. To date I am extremely happy with all the brands of Toray that we bring in. I do ask all the members of this forumn to let me know if they have any issues with a brand of Toray so that we can investigate it further. Radius is a great product and we have sold a LOT of it already. Have a look at our website for a bit of a break down of the range of Toray and that way it will help you to decide which model will be the best for you.

www.fish-tecsolutions.com

regards

Rod

Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Big Bream

I switched to toray afte being recommended it by the guys at tacklewarehouse in Brissy. Couldn't be happier with it.. I use radius on my spin gear and super strong on my baitcast gear.. Haven't had a problem, landed and fought some big fish on the radius and never felt like it was gonna let go, break at any stage.. Very happy with it and won't be changing any time soon..