Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Big Bream

NEW 12 strand Braid

Im sure many are aware but for those who are not here are some of the latest offerings in 12 strand braid.

Obviously this stuff is ridiculously expensive and intended for the most serious of rec angler or tournament anglers.

I have already ordered the Kohga to match my new Kohga mx 2508. My old Kohga which was basically a dressed up certate was spooled with older iteration of kohga braid and it was the finest piece of light jigging bay rubber tackle ive used or seen. The new Kohga MX looks like a downgrade from the previous however is considerably less expensive and has the new ATD which i am taking to more and more.

I know alot of guys here fish 0.6 PE at around the 10lb breaking strand, making it a very thin line with great strength. With these new 12 strands coming in at 13lb i am envisioning bass style skull dragging bream across the top of the water to the boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg khoga.jpg (135.8 KB, 773 views)
File Type: jpg moretthan.jpg (124.7 KB, 773 views)
Old 06-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Blue Lip

Yikes! You're right it's not cheap

Looks great though...i'm finally venturing in to the world of 8 strand MB Dragon Call and now there's a 12 strand!

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 06-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
Im sure many are aware but for those who are not here are some of the latest offerings in 12 strand braid.
I have done my research on it and it looks absolutly fabulouse! Super round and smooth, lots of people saying that zero noise through the guides and casts like a bullet. However price will be a dictator of the product in our market, no doubt that some here will get it from OS through Plat / Japan Fishing or whoever else? I know most people wont batter a eyelid at $90 for a 120meter spool either - you know who you are.

Quote:
I know alot of guys here fish 0.6 PE at around the 10lb breaking strand, making it a very thin line with great strength. With these new 12 strands coming in at 13lb i am envisioning bass style skull dragging bream across the top of the water to the boat.
I myself being a rec fisher (one day would like to venture higher into the sport) will continue with what I know and trust, however 12 strand braid is indicitive of the future of fishing as we know it. This is the Japanese market at work - always striving for the best product for their intended application.

I hate skull dragging but some studdied have shown that getting shallow water fish to the boat ASAP has less stress on the fish and greater chance of them surviving which is good however not a good look to most fisho's. I like to play a fish out and not to the point of utter exhaustion however spend my time tending to the fish once back in the water ensuring it swims away on its own steam.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Blue Lip

It's expensive but as the Kohga comes in 200m spools there's no reason you can't spool two shallow spool reels with 100m each. Makes it far most cost effective and you still get enough line for most species.

Slazmo, sounds like you need to do more skull dragging, nothing more fun than gettin a 40cm fish to the surface in 5 seconds haha
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G factor View Post
Slazmo, sounds like you need to do more skull dragging, nothing more fun than gettin a 40cm fish to the surface in 5 seconds haha
I like to watch the rod bend and let the drag do its work, love the "ZZZZZZZZZZZ" a blazin... From proper metal spools of course.

Different story with structure
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Big Bream

Seeing as most translations from the japanese daiwa website are pretty poor i havent been able to really break down the difference between the morethan kohga and saltiga variations.

The product descriptions speak of abrasion resistance, feel and castability but really thats all just marketing. I am really curious as to see if there is major differences and if so what is the difference between the three offerings.

I imagine morethan would be the most abrasion resistant for seabass shore game and lbd

Kohga the most feel for finesse bay rubber jigs and the smallest of micro jigs

Saltiga the highest sink rate and castability for vertical jigging and surface baits.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Mature Bream

already ordered mine
Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobythehobie View Post
already ordered mine
Which did you order ?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Mature Bream

12000 yen! even if you split a 200m spool between two 2004's your lookin at a hefty pineapple per reel... I guess some people pay more per spool any way so it kinda makes sense.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Mature Bream

Well if it's got 12 strands it MUST be better right?!?

...got to hand it to the Japanese, they've got us Anglers figured out
Old 07-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growse View Post

Well yeah, it should. Same/very similar diameter, greater breaking strain and a rounder profile.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growse View Post

In all honesty i cant properly shoot this down having not used it over a long period of time. However the basic principals of braided line construction apply so yes an increase of %50 in total number of strands is going to provide better function across the board.

I dont think it will be the same jump between 4- 8 strand which i believe is very significant. Law of diminishing returns and all that jazz, but will it be better almost without question.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Which did you order ?
I got the khoga 0.6 for my 2508 exist. very keen for it to arrive.

and with the price I just don't see why we would spend 200-500+ on a reel and not give it some half decent string
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobythehobie View Post
I got the khoga 0.6 for my 2508 exist. very keen for it to arrive.

and with the price I just don't see why we would spend 200-500+ on a reel and not give it some half decent string
exactly an exist with that will be just about the best small spin reel combo on the market. Very jealous
Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
Well yeah, it should. Same/very similar diameter, greater breaking strain and a rounder profile.
Thanks for pointing that out-

I could see how it would be ideal for Jigging etc but for Bream fishing I think the current high end 8 strand braids like Max Power tend to suffice!