Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 28-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Blue Lip

Fins 4/6lb?

Hey guys, chasing some new line for my Caldia 2004 and was having a look at some 4lb fins the other day and it looks pretty sweet. I run 10lb Fins on my Certate 2500R and i love it (pulled up smallish dhuies with it) but was wondering how it performs in the smaller sizes, particularly 4lb and 6lb.

I also found that there were some 4lb fins that were thinner then others, some were stated as thinner then the other spools. Has anybody noticed much difference between these? Also how does the 4lb handle wind knots? Is it safer going with 6lb?

Thanks guys
Old 28-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Blue Lip

I run 4lb FINS on about 8 reels it is pretty good with wind knots. My two boys use the reels as well and very rarely get wind knots.
Old 28-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Blue Lip

here we go... I hate fins with a passion, I've used it quite a bit and found that it fluffs up and gets water logged after a while, and for it's diameter holds terrible knots and isn't very abrasion resistant, I'm sure though that Nagz will disagree There is a reason that it doesn't get a lot of windknots, and seems to hold good knots and that is simply because the line is nothing near it's advertised strength, 4lb actually has a breaking strain of 18-20lb, so that said I'd suggest you went with either sunline super pe or daiwa shinobi, which have much better knot strength, abrasion resistance and casting ability for the equivalent diameter.
Old 28-07-2013, 04:10 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah hahaha, a mate hooked a tree with the 4lb and the tree snapped at the trunk when he tried to pull his lure out!!! They don't have any sunline left hence why in annoyed... I have used 8lb sunline and its sweet
Old 28-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Blue Lip

Daiwa shinobi is good for the mony too. It's a bit thinner than super pe but not quite as smooth.
Old 28-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Big Bream

I just bought my second batch of 6lb tuff line.
I've been using one batch on my little 2000 fuego in fresh water and not one wind knot or any other problem with knots or breakage over 12 mths now.
The only thing I'm not a fan of is that its flat and twists a bit.
It doesn't cause any problems but more of a visual thing.
Old 28-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
here we go... I hate fins with a passion
x2 can't stand it and especially hate it when someone says they caught a fish on 4lb when it's more like 16lb.
Old 28-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
here we go... I hate fins with a passion, I've used it quite a bit and found that it fluffs up and gets water logged after a while, and for it's diameter holds terrible knots and isn't very abrasion resistant, I'm sure though that Nagz will disagree There is a reason that it doesn't get a lot of windknots, and seems to hold good knots and that is simply because the line is nothing near it's advertised strength, 4lb actually has a breaking strain of 18-20lb, so that said I'd suggest you went with either sunline super pe or daiwa shinobi, which have much better knot strength, abrasion resistance and casting ability for the equivalent diameter.
X3 on dislike of Finns. Agree with all sed. I don't know how it is now but when I first tried it yrs ago it wasn't nice and round either. Was just an ugly braid. I think they covered the heavier end of the market better.
Old 28-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Fingerling

I really dislike fins aswell,find it way to thick and is not a smooth and round braid. It's usually breaks way above its rated breaking strain.
Old 28-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Mature Bream

Yeah not a fan of fins also..lasted 2 trips for me and i had it on my caldia 2004. Since then Ive used Shinobi, tournament 8, fire line exceed and sunline pe. Ive just got a hold of some SAS braid to try but yeah go the sunline fireline or shinobi - they are all good lines.