Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 29-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Big Bream

I would go PP out of the 2. Same price bracket I'd be looking at tufline tho.
Old 30-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Big Bream

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kingston- View Post
I assume from reading this that you clearly don't chase real fish, firstly have you ever tried tying 80lb magic to less than 30lb braid? Or even 60.. Enjoy having no fingers. Secondly you say that your mates get busted off with 60 braid by jacks, if so WHY would you recommend 15lb which will have less than A quarter of the diameter and raping ability. P.s id love to know the whereabouts of these "jack"And lastly you will notice the huge difference in line thickness applying emense pressure to large fish, in your terms it like saying you will have the same chance of landing a big bream on 2lb braid as you would on 6lb
I find your argument invalid
in order:
chase real fish?? what does that even mean?.. i chase the ones that swim in the water . where was it ever said he's tying 80lb magic to less than 30lb braid?? no where, so dont see your point. recommending 15lb also has nothing to do with mates geting busted off by jacks, never said i recommended 15lb to them, once again way off topic with your call. these jacks are up the back of some creeks on the gold coast, they are nathan kieboom and john kieboom who also do some articles here an there in bush n beach. ie. father and brother inlaws.... your last part makes no sense at all, so reword that with what ive actually said on this topic and not your own hypotheticals on what i would be saying.

gathering by your opening statement your another arogant bloke thats got a $60 grand loan on a boat, high end gear you dont know the fundamentals of and only know what you read???? because seriously not one thing you've said has a single bearing on A. what ive previously said and B. a single thing on topic of this thread!

... so, i assume from reading "this" the only way you have a slight chance at "catching" "real" fish is a big boat with a $1200 sounder?? thats not fishing, thats called find and catch.

im land based and still catch bigger fish than anyone in a boat in the estuaries. 20+ jewies over 80cm for the last 6 months i think warrants me a bloke that catches "real" fish. im sure you can see a few in brag section "maroochy river lately" ... 1 on the base is worth 10 in the boat
Old 30-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
in order:
chase real fish?? what does that even mean?.. i chase the ones that swim in the water . where was it ever said he's tying 80lb magic to less than 30lb braid?? no where, so dont see your point. recommending 15lb also has nothing to do with mates geting busted off by jacks, never said i recommended 15lb to them, once again way off topic with your call. these jacks are up the back of some creeks on the gold coast, they are nathan kieboom and john kieboom who also do some articles here an there in bush n beach. ie. father and brother inlaws.... your last part makes no sense at all, so reword that with what ive actually said on this topic and not your own hypotheticals on what i would be saying.

gathering by your opening statement your another arogant bloke thats got a $60 grand loan on a boat, high end gear you dont know the fundamentals of and only know what you read???? because seriously not one thing you've said has a single bearing on A. what ive previously said and B. a single thing on topic of this thread!

... so, i assume from reading "this" the only way you have a slight chance at "catching" "real" fish is a big boat with a $1200 sounder?? thats not fishing, thats called find and catch.

im land based and still catch bigger fish than anyone in a boat in the estuaries. 20+ jewies over 80cm for the last 6 months i think warrants me a bloke that catches "real" fish. im sure you can see a few in brag section "maroochy river lately" ... 1 on the base is worth 10 in the boat
I'd love to say something back but I accept defeat.. Good for you. Your story was great.
In my closing statement, my sounder is worth double that.

Last edited by -Kingston-; 30-11-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 30-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:

lol re read this and then re consider calling anyone a "arrogant bloke".

I argued with you a while back that braid selection was all about Diameter. Pick a diameter that matches the leader you are gonna run. Simple as that.
Old 30-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Blue Lip

This argument is exactly why I don't ask for much advice on here.. Everyone is an expert lets admit it. We're all passionate about it.
Get out there mate and try things! If 15 lb powerpro doesn't work for you I don't think 15 lb fins will be different enough to make you catch more fish!

I've found what I like through lots of trial and error and if you're a tackle rat like me it's half the fun of fishing!
Cheers matt
Old 30-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Blue Lip

What a load of sh!t

I catch plenty of bream with 80lb braid and 4lb leader
Old 30-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
What a load of sh!t

I catch plenty of bream with 80lb braid and 4lb leader
I'm more of 2lb braid 80lb leader fisherman myself..land the big jacks
Old 30-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Big Bream

thechief: i dont remember... what was it i was saying about it? im arrogant and stubourn... doesnt mean i cant point out someone the same.

in regards to picking a diameter to match the leader.... how do u figure??
personally, i run 6lb super pe on all plastics, vibes,hb's... the same 6lb will have fluro from 6lb, 8lb, 10lb, 12lb, 15lb. that covers whiting to jewies/jacks. i cant afford 4 stella 1000 spools.
Old 30-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Blue Lip

Dental floss and game wire b!tchezzzzz!
Old 30-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt jorg View Post
This argument is exactly why I don't ask for much advice on here.. Everyone is an expert lets admit it.
To much 'elitism' these days...
Old 30-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
thechief: i dont remember... what was it i was saying about it? im arrogant and stubourn... doesnt mean i cant point out someone the same.

in regards to picking a diameter to match the leader.... how do u figure??
personally, i run 6lb super pe on all plastics, vibes,hb's... the same 6lb will have fluro from 6lb, 8lb, 10lb, 12lb, 15lb. that covers whiting to jewies/jacks. i cant afford 4 stella 1000 spools.
I can't be bothered going back over it but personally I wouldn't run 6lb PE with 12-15lb leader. You might as well run 12-15lb PE braid IMO. I'm not saying you can't and don't catch good fish using 6lb PE etc... Fishing landbased it would be harder. You have to pick 1 combo and stick with it.
Old 30-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Big Bream

i went with the 6lb sunline because the obvious; smooth, silk, 4kg break bla bla.. get a good easy 150m on a 1000 reel. 15lb id be lucky to get 75m. i dont cast a pillons so im happy to let a big jewie run 50 meters knowing it will eventually turn.. but my situation may not work for others, its a small river system so i know the limits of fish in here. ive gotten a 103cm jewie (2 weeks ago) and 88cm flatty, that was on the 6lb super 1000 stella. i highly doubt that will happen again especially with the limits of LB for me.

but maybe this bloke is just looking for a 1 combo... havent heard much on the detail bar 3000 reel, 15lb fins or pp.

being such cheap braids, grab both and let us all know which is the go. for me fins is just like zulu braid, basic as they get does the job. power pro 15lb lighter and more supple than fins, but power pro 8st is a step over both. pretty much on par with sunline super.
Old 30-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
i went with the 6lb sunline because the obvious; smooth, silk, 4kg break bla bla.. get a good easy 150m on a 1000 reel. 15lb id be lucky to get 75m. i dont cast a pillons so im happy to let a big jewie run 50 meters knowing it will eventually turn.. but my situation may not work for others, its a small river system so i know the limits of fish in here. ive gotten a 103cm jewie (2 weeks ago) and 88cm flatty, that was on the 6lb super 1000 stella. i highly doubt that will happen again especially with the limits of LB for me.

but maybe this bloke is just looking for a 1 combo... havent heard much on the detail bar 3000 reel, 15lb fins or pp.

being such cheap braids, grab both and let us all know which is the go. for me fins is just like zulu braid, basic as they get does the job. power pro 15lb lighter and more supple than fins, but power pro 8st is a step over both. pretty much on par with sunline super.
We all look at it in different ways. I wouldn't run a 1000. I'd go a 2500 but that's just me.

Location is a big factor, if there's no major structure they can do you on you can nanna drag them for as long as it takes on pretty much any breaking strain.
Old 30-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Blue Lip

Here's a challenge for those of you who like fins. Take a reel that you have spooled with fins, and look up the actual breaking strain of the line. Then find the closest actual breaking strain to that in either super PE or Daiwa Shinobi, which are both similarly priced braids, and spool up a similar setup with that line. Fish them side by side for a couple of months, and then come back to me and tell me which one performs the best. I've actually done this with fins vs shinobi, so I know where I'm putting my money.
Old 30-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Mature Bream

Get sunline pe.

Fins is double the breaking strain, double the diameter, so you can say WOW it does all this and that, but REALISTICALLY - you need to compare it to braid at double the breaking strain (which equals abrasion resistance etc).

Like many have said, diameter + your required breaking strain = answer.

lukereneeseth, you must fish some real tiger country for jacks, or you enjoy losing the really good ones Also just cos you can't afford a stella spool lol, certainly doesn't make you better (you poor, poor thing)! Poor elite represent yo!

I hate these threads with their personal attacks as much as those being attacked or reading it, but seriously it's a bit childish bringing money and all the usual b&&DohDohDohDoh into it. The poor card is nothing but a self fulfilling ego boost for lazy people (we live in a country where ANYONE can be rich). Get an hand line and man up if poordom is really your thing.