Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:07 AM
Blue Lip

I lock up on 4lb and 6lb fireline when Im fishing for Bream - Lock up as in if you cant pull line from the reel then its locked up. If I wanted to be more sporting I'd just loosen the drag like I was fishing 4lb flouro. I've still had Bream pull drag but I have landed them to around the 1.3kg Mark easy enough. The fights generally over within 15-20 seconds though but its hell good fun. It puts your gear through its paces thats for sure.

I dont really milk my fish. I like a really tight drag.

cheers, Nathan

VicBream Classics

Shipton Trading

Spotters Sunglasses

Jiggy Jigs

Jolie image

Old 02-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Mature Bream

Yeah, I like to have a little play. Everyones different, it all works, so its all good.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Blue Lip

Don't forget, the longer the fight, the more stress on the fish. Which isn't that good for catch and release.

On the subject of 1lb Crystal, it's thin, but breaks like cotton. We finally got some in today, and it would pop everytime we pulled on it.

There's nothing really special about it, it's just thin fireline with no dye.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Blue Lip

yep fair enough mate
if fishing open water like rivers etc i will loosen my drag off a little but only so the bigger fish can take it but where i fish 90% of the time there isnt much of a margin for error, if you let the fish run for even a metre you will usually get busted off in the pylons. dont think that just because the line has a higher breaking strain the fight will be over quicker, if you use a softish rod with a bit of play in the tip you will still get a great fight from your bream. i spose its different fishing styles/location, i like to use the thinnest possible line thats still strong enough to drag fish out of the pylons without the stress of wondering if your line is going to break and im very happy with 4lb fireline for this reason, but i still get busted up in the pylons occasionally by bigger than average fish but thats part of the appeal i dont think it would be a good move fishing 4lb mono at docklands but in a river i can see the appeal, braid all the way for me.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Mature Bream

G'day,

I fish 4lb mono around snaggy structures, Birkenhead is very snaggy when you get to the left stretch. I fish 4lb anywhere, when I'm fishing in snaggy ares such as Birkenhead I'll use a 6lb leader though. If fishing a place like West Lakes where there aren't much snags I'll just use strait 4lb.

Nugget.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Mature Bream

Like I said before, braided lines have a lot more pro's than mono lines. I might buy 2lb Crystal Fireline, because that might break around 4lb. But its also what my wallet says. Most of my money from work is put in the bank.

Everyone has there own opinion. I just now that mono works, I've been using it since I could walk. Thousands of other people use it too. Braid is still new I guess, it has alot of improving to do. You'll look back to now and go "How did I ever use that s**t!". Because there will be bigger and better things out, probbably cheaper too.

Nugget.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Blue Lip

Newby,
The only documentation i can think of in regards to Starlo mentioning the 2lb straight through is on ether Breamin 1 or 2 but other then that i cant think of anywhere else he has mentioned in documented format, its just kinda commen knowledge around the comps as he has done it a few times when the fishings gotten tough while in a comp.

Sorry i couldnt help more on that one...

I would really love to learn how to fish 2lb straight through effectively, i spose it just takes practise really. I might give it a bit of a practise run on reddies and trout, only i gotta find somewhere thats actually crazy enough to sell 2lb line

I suppose its taking it to a new level when fishing ultra ultra fennise, thats why we fish light, for the excitement and fishing even lighter is just taking one step further on the "extreme ultra light" scale haha

Associated with:

www.jiggyjigs.com
"gettin jiggy with it"
Old 02-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Blue Lip

fair enough mate im not saying your wrong or anything like that i just find it interesting when people go a bit less mainstream with their fishing tackle.
"Braid is still new I guess, it has alot of improving to do. You'll look back to now and go "How did I ever use that s**t!". Because there will be bigger and better things out, probbably cheaper too."
haha i say that about mono lol whatever works for you is all you want really no need to follow others just because a certain product is popular
Old 02-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Mature Bream

G'day DAGGA,

That's alright, I did some pretty deep digging on the net to find out some information on it. Couldn't find a scrap of info.

Well, if you're looking for some 2lb line I'd be looking at the Berkley Tri-Line. I know one place down here that sells it for $4.95c a spool of 300m "I think".

Fishing straight 2lb line is pretty nuts lol, your knot strengh would probbably be 1lb. Imagine a nice Jewy hitting that. Haha,
"No probs, you keep it"

I didn't get to buy any the other day because I had work. I really want to try it out down the Lakes, I'd be happy landing something over 20cm with it.

Nugget.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Mature Bream

G'day,

Luke_H:
"fair enough mate im not saying your wrong or anything like that i just find it interesting when people go a bit less mainstream with their fishing tackle."

That's alright, I know you're not having a go at me. Just expressing your opinions.

Luke_H:
"no need to follow others just because a certain product is popular"

Hehe yup! I'm pretty original when it comes to certain things, but I do follow the "Crowd" sometimes.

Thanks again, Nugget.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Big Bream

Don't worry if the breakin strain of main line is higher than its rating- just get your leader at the right poundage. I fish 2lb super braid which breaks around 7lb- give or take. Its ultra thin and casts superb. Match that with a good leader like moi moi and you can have the breaking strain you want with good abrasion resistance.I use 6 & 8lb but might give 3-4 lb a go sooner rather than later.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Mature Bream

Thanks for that Cleetus.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Blue Lip

You reckon we will ever see the day that people will be using 1lb leader straight through? I honostly reckon its a possibility, some crazy bugger would have to give it a go *shakes head* I wouldnt be able to help breaking the knots while testing the knot strength and tightening them.

Associated with:

www.jiggyjigs.com
"gettin jiggy with it"
Old 02-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally posted by DAGGA
You reckon we will ever see the day that people will be using 1lb leader straight through? I honostly reckon its a possibility, some crazy bugger would have to give it a go *shakes head* I wouldnt be able to help breaking the knots while testing the knot strength and tightening them.
Doesn't Chris Wright fish that sometimes?

Theo? You fished with him, what was he using on that shut down day?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Mature Bream

Haha, forget 1lb line. Tie the hairs from your head together! I'd probbably get a few hundred meters

DAGGA:
"I wouldnt be able to help breaking the knots while testing the knot strength and tightening them."

Not only that, casting would be a challenge on its own.

I'm crazy *Twitch* but thats beyond me lol.

Nugget.