Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 13-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Atomic WA Bream Classic Boat Series Engel Rnd 4 RESULTS

TOWN CANALS TRUMP THE RIVERS

Chilly, windy and wet conditions greeted teams for The Engel Round 4 of the Atomic WA Bream Classic Series, launched from Mandurah Offshore Fishing and Sailing Club. Being the last opportunity for teams to qualify for the Grand Final, the weather would certainly play a part with teams having to make the decision to head across the inlet to hit up the rivers or stay in town and fish the vast assortment of canals that now litter the area.

Taking the title and proving the town canals have come a long way over the last few years was Team Hardbodies/Atomic’s Ben Oakes and Oli Stevenson weighing in a hefty four bream for 3.125kg to claim victory and a Grand Final berth by just under 800 grams. When asked how the day played out, Ben replied “I pre-fished everywhere including the Murray and Serpentine Rivers, but the canals seemed to provide the better fish on those occassions. I also noticed the water was a little warmer in the canals and the bream seemed a little bit more interested in eating, but in my opinion they were certainly more aggressive”.

“We only had a couple of spots identified so we just slowly worked through those areas targeting all the jetties and boat hulls, one spot was certainly better than the rest so we plugged that area a lot more thoroughly. Our first fish came on the Zman 2.5” motor oil grub, quickly followed by another. We were also using Ecogear bream prawns in white, and that was what nailed our kicker fish. I had that rigged on a Gamakatsu R90 light wire hook that I had home weighted, I reckon it was about 1/50th in weight and it did the trick nicely”.

“I would cast the prawns out and just let them sink ala Jo Gardner style, and the fish would normally just grab them and run. So it was pretty exciting fishing to say the least and a lot of fun, but I have to add that it was only the perfect casts that really got fish, in the wind that was a little difficult, but we just had to keep plugging”. When asked if they had anyone to thank, Ben replied “The tournament sponsors, the organisers and of course Kate for braving the conditions to cook breakfast for everyone”.

Oli then made a point of thanking his sponsor Frogleys Offshore for all their support with equipment and lures throughout the 2016 season. Frogleys are fantastic sponsors of the WA Bream scene being the 2016 WA Bream Classics Series Major Sponsor as well as sponsoring a number of keen WA anglers. Their range for not only bream is nothing short of amazing, well worth checking out.
Ben used Edge ISR701 and BSR702 rods throughout the day; these were matched to Daiwa Luvias 2506 reels. Each reel was loaded with Daiwa J-Braid whilst at the business end was YGK 5lb leader.

Oli used Samurai Reaction and Major Craft Go Emotion rods; these were matched to a Daiwa Freams 2000 and a Daiwa Ballistics 2000. Each reel was loaded with Unitika 8lb braid, whilst at the business end one reel carried 5lb sunline leader, whilst the other was loaded with 6lb Unitika leader.

In second place and showing three nice bream can certainly be enough to be competitive on the right day was Team Hack/Tackle HQs Michael Sammut and Mitch Clements weighing in three bream for 2.335kg and claim the second GF berth on offer. When asked how the day had gone for them, Michael replied “yeah it was a pretty good day, we had already made the decision to stay in town and fish the canals simply because the weather would have made the crossing wet and miserable”.

“We had also pre-fished the canals for the exact reason of being able to avoid the crossing. And we picked up a few fish in a couple of different spots, so we were pretty happy with the plan. We were fishing rockwalls, jetties and boat hulls and tried to fish where we had caught during our pre-fish. This worked out well picking up three keepers, pretty much one from each spot, we just couldn’t find stop that 4th keeper, we had two opportunities to add a kicker fish but we lost both those during the battle. One I thought was snagged on the bottom so I eased off on it a touch, before zzzzzzzzz and I was buried before I even had a chance to react. But to bring in over 2kg with three bream in the well, we are pretty happy with the way the day panned out”.

When asked what worked on the day, Michael replied “Bream prawns, we caught all our fish on them, not sure of the exact colour but it was the grey, orange and white ones? that performed best for us. We rigged them on 1/40th jigheads and would just let them sink, whilst watching for bites before setting the hook.

Michael also thanked Tackle HQ for all their support throughout the 2016 season, supplying him for all his breaming needs. Tackle HQ is based up in Kingsley and has a great range for everything breaming. And if you are into your jigging or heading North, get in for a visit as they have got you covered there as well.

Michael and Mitch rotated through three rods for the day, these being an Edge rod, a Daiwa Battler Water Zombie and last but not least a Duff rod. These were all matched Daiwa Exist 2004 reels, with each reel loaded with Sunline 8X braid, whilst at the business end of each reel was Sunline leader in 6lb.

In third place and moving into striking distance for 2016 Team of the Year were Team Lowrance/Tackle Tactics Alex Greisdorf and Joseph Gardner weighing in four bream for 2.245kg. When asked how the day had gone, Alex replied “it was a great start to the day, we decided to hit one spot on the way out of the canals and hooked a keeper first cast, so it was quite cool to be putting one in the well while boats were still heading past you”.

“We then thought we would try the normal spots I rotate through as well as some that have been producing for Joseph. But as soon as we stopped “Joseph was up the back pinging a few casts around, when he noticed a fair bit of oil (everywhere), which is never a good thing. So the engine was out of action and we fished the rest of the day wherever we could reach by electric, so we made the best of a bad situation and just plugged away. The first one in the town canals came on a Zman 2.5” grub in Motor Oil. But up the river was tough when Joseph pinned a good one on his Ecogear Bream Prawns in Salt n Pepper.”
“We fished the one metre depth of water for most of the day, and with Joseph getting a bundle more action on his bream prawns, I made the change and managed to pin another couple as well. We probably caught 8-10 legals throughout the day, so with the hassles we had and time restrictions placed on us, to finish in third and improve our TOY score makes for a good day out in the end”.

Alex used a Daiwa Battler rod, this was matched to a Daiwa Luvias reel, this was loaded Hyper PE., whilst at the business end was Yamatoyo Harris Fighter in 4lb. His second combo was a Duff rod, matched to a Daiwa Exist reel, loaded with Hyper PE and once again loaded with Yamatoyo Harris Fighter but in 6lb.
Joseph used his JML Kayak Special and Accurate rods, these were both matched to Daiwa Luvias reels, and each reel was loaded with Yamatoyo Jigging Braid. Whilst at the business end was Yamatoyo Harris Fighter in 6lb.

When asked who they had to thank, Alex replied “Without a doubt the series sponsors, organisers and all the other competitors for making the effort. Then of course Lowrance for the outstanding sounders, Tackle Tactics for the awesome plastics and jigheads and of course Bluewater Tackle for anything else I need (as they have everything)”.

Joseph added “JML Anglers Alliance for looking after him with everything breaming, and of course for having the bream prawn in its stables, it really has been producing the goods for a while now”.

The $500 ENGEL BIG BREAM was taken out by Ben Oakes from Team Hardbodies/Frogleys Offshore, who tamed a 1.190kg beast of a bream, the blue lip monster fell victim to a well cast Ecogear bream prawn in grey, orange and white. Rigged on a gamakatsu R90 light wire hook that had been home weighted.

Taking the last five spots in the 2016 Grand Final to be held on the Blackwood River on the 12/13 November are the following teams:
Hardbodies/Frogleys Offshore, Hack/Tackle HQ, Breammaster, Red Beard Clothing and Tims Tackle.

The Atomic WA Bream Classic Series would not be possible without the fantastic support of the tackle industry. A big thanks goes to Atomic/Samurai from Frogleys Offshore for being the 2016 series sponsor, as well as all our various other sponsors such as Engel, CRC Industires, Tackle Tactics, JML Anglers Alliance, Mako Sunglasses, Damiki/Pontoon 21, EJ Todd and Son, Watersnake, Recfishwest, Platypus, Shimano, Anglers Anonymous, Bluewater Tackle, Halco, Tackle HQ and TheLurePro.com. Without your support our series would not be possible, then last but certainly not least Granny’s Pies for all the goodies you supply at each round (this round each boat took one dozen lamingtons each to keep the worms at bay).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1859.jpg (626.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1851.jpg (613.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1845.jpg (665.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1777.jpg (457.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg RD 4 Result table.jpg (526.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Nick Cuccovia; 13-09-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 13-09-2016, 09:04 PM
Administrator

More images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1839.jpg (596.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (578.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1802.jpg (431.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1784.jpg (353.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1737.jpg (511.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 13-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Big Bream

Thanks for running a great comp as always boys!
Bring on the Blackwood.
Old 13-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by olistevo View Post
Thanks for running a great comp as always boys!
Bring on the Blackwood.
Well done mate, and a home final to boot.
Old 14-09-2016, 01:28 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks

Thanks for the write up Nick.
Also thanks again to the organisers and sponsors of these events who keep our sport alive. Also everyone else who turned up to fish in some pretty average conditions.
Cheers Oakesy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: