Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 21-07-2017, 02:22 AM
Poddy Bream

Bream Rod

I'd like a little advice please.

Since Christmas, I've been fishing a Shimano 2500 CI4 Stradic with Sunline super 8PE 6lb braid and 8lb Nitlon DFC leader on a Zodias 268ML
5-10lb rod tossing SP's to 3/8oz at Flathead. I'm very happy with the set up and I'm enjoying good success.

Anyhow, I've taken a interest in chasing Bream with SP's also but the Zodias is the lightest rod I have and even though I've caught a few Bream by dropping to 6lb Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon leader, after reading more here on the forum I'm tipping I could do with a lighter rod plus I'd also like to try fishing with HB's also.

To that end I had a look at a Zodias 270UL and a Daiwa GEKKABIJIN AGS Ajing 610L-S rod. I'm thinking I'd like to couple one with a Shimano CI4 Complex 2500HGS F4 which I recently bought from a member here and figure I'd fish 4lb line?

The Daiwa is twice the price of the Shimano and I wonder is it twice the rod?

I'm an old rock hopper so I've primarily fished with Alvey's, an Avon Royal, Shimano SpeedMaster overhead and Penn Inter' 30 and caught my share of fish but all this is new to me and a little confusing so please excuse my ignorance.

All and any advice or criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance!
Old 21-07-2017, 04:20 AM
Big Bream

Hey Pop. Are you going to spool the Complex with 4lb fluro or braid?
Old 21-07-2017, 04:33 AM
Poddy Bream

I really don't know which way to go. Somehow I'm thinking I'd spool braid but in reality confusion's trumps.

Last edited by Pop; 21-07-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 21-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Mature Bream

The Daiwa is more of a plastics rod than hard bodies, I had one and let it go found it to be extra fast in action.

Not worth twice the price of a zodias may be a good call.

Last edited by bjspinner; 21-07-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 21-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Big Bream

I've not used a zodias rod so don't have any advice on how suitable it is. I've seen that model for $239 posted (new from a tacklestore on the coast) so send me a PM if you can't beat that price and decide to go for one.
Old 21-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
I've not used a zodias rod so don't have any advice on how suitable it is. I've seen that model for $239 posted (new from a tacklestore on the coast) so send me a PM if you can't beat that price and decide to go for one.
Very kind of you, greatly appreciated!
Old 21-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Blue Lip

That 610 gekka would be a great choice. You mention wanting to fish both sp and hb. Ive fished with a few different gekkas and the 610 is a great all round bream rod. Its fine for hb as well as plastics. If you had to set the two techniques appart. The gekka would be ever so slightly center right. (Left being plastics rod, right being hard body) i hope that makes sense. Anyway, i found the tip nice and forgiving, it loaded up well to cast but was quick enough to fish sp and the bottom section locked up nicely when you needed some grunt.
Old 23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
Blue Lip

The only rod I can recommend for the intended use would be a Samurai 201, one piece. Very versatile.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 24-07-2017, 02:54 AM
Big Bream

Yep, the Samurai 201 is a great all rounder and will balance nicely with that complex. I had one which I regret selling on now
Old 24-07-2017, 03:43 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks fellas, I'll check the Samurai out.

I went for a fish Saturday arvo and caught my first bream on a HB (little Berkley PowerBlade) all 150mm of him. Ah, hahaha!

Half a dozen casts later I snagged up and no more blade. I went to a 2" crabby and 1/40oz hidden weight gizmo and nailed a 62cm Flattie first cast and a couple of small Tailor after that and one the bit me off.