Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Jigs

Jigs Want to find out which jigs perform best, drop in here…
Gamakatsu, Slider, Ecogear, Nitro, Assassin...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Poddy Bream

just cranking a bit faster usually does the trick any slugs ive used have worked there not fussy cheap slugs at big W
Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Blue Lip

If you go slow the tailor will swallow your lure and bite you off. But if you wind it faster they begin "slashing" at the lure by grabbing the treble and trying to cut the tail off to slow it down so they can turn around and belt it down the nannygoat Go fast if you don't want bite-offs
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Poddy Bream

You can try using tiger wire. It is knotable. Its a bit dear but its better than losing gear. It lasts long too.
We use it for tailor and mackerel in moreton bay. Use about 10cm of it just before the lure. I dont like using normal wire as the lure or slug doesnt swim properly.

A high speed reel also helps. Depending on your buget. Last mackerel season i used a stradic fj 5000 and a sustain 5000FG. Both with upgraded drags as the stock shimabo drag can get burnt easily. Both matched up to shimano Terez.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Mature Bream

if you want wire get hold of some mayfly tackle razorguard i've been using 69lb 6inch (12inch also available) ones recently with 14gram slugs just on salmon (tailor setup though,but makes changing lures easy) they have a nice big smooth loop on one end which go's on the lure and a smaller loop with a solid ring at the other end for connection to your line,so i dont imagine it effects the action too much on slugs,don't think it would matter much on tailor and salmon anyway. I think any place that sells nitro rods should have them or be able to get them.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Poddy Bream

You can try make your own. Just get a strand of wire, say 20cm, Thread one of those long, thin sinkers which you bash with a hammer to make the sides flat and stick a treble at the end. The lure will slide back when casting and retrieving but when the fish jumps and tries to shake the lure, the lead slides forward and you don't have a big weight helping to rip the hook out of their mouths. I've had great success on this style lure and a better hookup TO capture ratio than normal slugs.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
As long as it's moving they'll eat it! I've seen them caught on orange peel, sinkers, old cutlery, bare hooks and even sidchrome spanners.
+1
Old 23-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Poddy Bream

I dont know if this is too much of a thread dig up for you guys, but when I spin for tailor in the surf on the 4lb, I use about a rod length of 5lb leader then about a 100mm twisted leader of 20 to 30lb fluro.

I still lose lures, but that's just because the 12g spoons are quite small.

Usually rigged with a 2/0 Decoy jigging single and upgraded split rings.
I also run a swivel at the front of the lure.
Old 16-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Fingerling

If you're using slugs for tailor, you should replace the trebles with a single hook. Makes release much easier, and helps keep them pinned if they get a jump/headshake in.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Mature Bream

Landed a 50cm tailor on a 40gm Raider on Sunday, using 20lb Fluro as leader. They bite at the tail so MOST of the time you will not get bitten off. I do believe that you get more strikes on lighter leader in times when you need them. Sure, if they are schooled up and hungry you can chuck anything at them.

+1 for single hooks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moore Tailor 20130526 (Custom).jpg (156.1 KB, 114 views)

PB SP Bream 42cm
PB HB Bream 38cm
Old 29-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Mature Bream

I tried slugs once but they are slimey and hard to keep on the hook,

As suggested barrel sinkers painted white either with paint or nail polish or just polished fork handles with a bit of a twist all work well and are really cheap.

Big-Pete
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Fingerling

50 lb mono is more than enough ,for any type of lure for Tailor. Most of the time they will be chasing the lure from behind ,and wont see your leader .I have never used wire .Even when soaking baits
Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

+1 for use of singles! Most of my tailor spinning is done chasing smaller fish for Jew baits always using 12lb leader and straight tracking lures burnt in fast rather than spoons or twisties. I've caught Spanish on 31lb single strand IMO anything more than. 20lb is overkill
Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM
SLAZMO

I went for a beach flick last thursday when the Westerlies were howling here on the GC. Went to the Seaway bach and found some nice gutters real deep and some wash on their back ends.

Casted flippin everything from my new Waxwings to Raiders to Twisties until my Sustain started to beg me to give up from the big long casts... So found a perch on a sand dune - hung up the rod in a tree - got the Bino's out and scanned the beach southward - little Asia on Main beach with about 20 rods in the water - no wonder why there wasn't any Tailor around... All being caught to the South of me.

Anyhow was a nice arvo on the beach - great thing beachcasting... Anyone here on the Goldy wanting someone to go with let me know.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Fingerling

Smile

One point that may have been over looked ,is leaders need to suit the area that is being fished.Yes for sure go as light as possible .In my back yard 20lb or less would be a very short argument.