Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Blue Lip

Tohatsu outboards

Hi Guys'
Has anyone ever owned one and what's your opinion? Tohatsu claim they are "the most reliable", but which manufacturer will tell you their motors aren't reliable?
I need to know good/bad experiences of the end users, rather than sales people's "talking". Are there any models within the 10-25 h.p. range I should stay away of?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Monster Miki Addict
Old 05-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Mature Bream

alex,
i have a tohatsu 25hp & have found it to be quite a reliable motor,
it's a '98 model , it's had the carby mod done to it,they change the gasget & it's now rated as a 30hp,it also quite got on fuel
Old 09-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Mature Bream

They are a great motor,I've a 2002 25hp no problems & would not hesitate buying another,The mercury 30 lite is the same engine just painted black.The local surf life saving clubs are switching over to them because of there reliability & grunt.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Big Bream

I have never owned one but I have a lot of boats going past my house in school holidays and I ALWAYS no when a Tohatsu is coming, there pretty loud.

Your own boat is better than somebody else's tricked up Hornet
Old 09-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Poddy Bream

Tohatsu

We have a Tohatsu 40 hp. Never ever failed us, and it’s so easy to pull start. Starts on first pull, and you don’t need to put any effort in the pull. Even if we have electric start on it, it is a good point to get to know your engine, from pull starting it, to see how it goes.

I wouldn’t say they are loud, the new ones, but seriously, going flat out, any engine would make a sound. Idling or just crawling along, you can barely notice the engine going.

There a very reliable engine and they last and work like knew if you take very good care of them, as you should with any outboard.

Last edited by AndrewH; 10-03-2003 at 02:54 AM.
Old 13-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Blue Lip

I have also read few articles in the boating mags where Tohatsu motors are being said to be re-painted in Merc. and Yamaha colours without or little change (re-badging). Some of more famous brands are using Tohatsu heads. This also points in their (Tohatsu) favour.
Any thoughts?

Monster Miki Addict
Old 14-03-2003, 01:33 AM
Poddy Bream

The 30HP Merc lite is a rebadged Tohatsu 25/30HP motor. Not sure about the Yammies though - my impression was that Yammies are all genuine - and that Merc (and some others) use the Yammie powerheads, particularly in their bigger motors.

I have owned a 30HP Merc Lite - it was just OK - finally replaced it with a Yammie 40HP 4-S.

Michael
Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Big Bream

i was talking to both the mercury and tohatsu dealers at the perth boat show and both told me that the smaller japanese mercury engines up to 30 horsepower are the same. the only different one is the 18hp which is a tohatsu specielty but their very cheap, around$2,300. i know a bloke with one who is stoked with it but the only factor is noise but most two strokes are loud at open throttle.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 AM
Blue Lip

Been doing some reading too. Yeah, some of the Mercury and Mariner motors are actually Tohatsu rebadged. I nearly got myself a Tohatsu but ended up with a Mercury (actually a Tohatsu). Tohatsu's are cheaper than Mercury & Mariners, however I went for the Mercury as I believe they have a better resale value, today anyway, may change later on. Never heard of anyone with a problem with the Tohatsu's.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:53 AM
Big Bream

we have a mercury 30hp lite and its been a great engine. good on fuel and plenty of grunt. it pushes our 4.2m quintrex runabout fine. the hull alone weighs 600kg and we have had it planing with three adults and 3 teenagers. never even need to rev it when it starts. good choice mate !!!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 AM
Big Bream

u should just get a honda or a yammie they r the best motors around
Old 16-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Blue Lip

Thanks guys,
I am getting a new hornet 4.35 with a 2 stroke Yammy (can't wait!)
Cheers
Alex

Monster Miki Addict
Old 03-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Fingerling

Tohatsu Outboards

Hi all

About 3 years ago, I bought a 2nd hand Tohatsu, (3.5 H.P) and it was stuffed full of sand and dirt, from the previous (idiot ) owner, it cost me a small fortune to get it back into action, but once I fixed it, it went like a rocket, as long as you take care of them, they are a good motor.

Hillbilly-fisho

Last edited by hillbillyfisho; 03-10-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Poddy Bream

hi guy's,
i run a 50 hp on my bream boat and have run tohie's on other boats for about 12 years. i can't go past them for reliability as mine have always started first kick every time. this motor is serviced only once a year and the only other maintenance i do is blow it out with fresh water and fill the oil filler (2 stroke). there are only a couple of us on the abt circut that use them, but we all think alike and like what we use. on a previous charter boat we had a 90 hp tohie that was seviced only 3 times in 7 years and started turn key first time every time and still doe's the same today 3 years since i sold the boat. so as you may have quessed i won't go past them, but that's my opinion.
Old 14-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Blue Lip

Too early for me to comment on my new 90hp TLDi Tohatsu, but so far so good am pretty happy with the choice over the e-tec. Was much cheaper too!

I seem to recall that startlo had a tohie on the back of his webster some years ago. he was given an early model honda 4S to trail for a period and when that period was over he went back to the Tohie.

Does this tell u something!

Its a work in progress