Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 31-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Fingerling

Talking New Rod

Hey guys, about a month ago I bought a Shimano Nexave soft plastics combo; I must admit this type of fishing is very addictive, haven't managed a decent Bream yet but the by-catch of two very big Trevally and Tailor have been lots of fun.

To be honest the Nexave Reel is great but the rod is a little stiff, with very little feel in the tip. Which by the way is on its second tip, broke the first one second cast

I'm looking at the Berkley Dropshots, (budget) in a two piece (convenience). In this range there are two, the 6", 6" 2-4 kg or the 7" 1-3kg. can anyone advise me which is the more appropriate rod as a bit of an all-rounder - shore based - light soft-plastics.

Also with a little care how strong are the tips on the Dropshots

I know the Dropshots have been done to death, but any info would be great........
Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Big Bream

Any rod over 6'6" is a better choice. As you're after budget and convenience then the Dropshot 7'0" will be the optimal choice. It has a fair fast tip, but due to the quality of blank you're not going to have the very crisp tip sensitivity and other features, so the best way to do things then is to fish a lot lighter - say around 3lb straight fluoro or 2lb fireline crystal with 4lb 6-7ft leaders. With this in mind, you'll be fishing with a lot more finnesse, which will over time, with practise and learning more, you'll catch more fish.
Member of the IFFF Fly Tying Group

Martin Luther King Jr (1963) said, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but when he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Limit your catch....... Don't catch your Limit"
Old 13-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Dilbanger

get a shimano sienna 1000 on a shimano radar 7 footer there sik