Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Old 21-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Blue Lip

SD Cards

Looking for some advice re SD cards.
I realise that to get the best out of your camera or for you camera to recognise the card at all, a class 10 card should be used but what advantages, if any, are there for going with say a Scan Disk Extreme over an Ultra?
Camera is a Nikon D3200 if that plays any part in the answer.

Its a work in progress

Last edited by CK; 21-07-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 21-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

To put it simply it will come down to read write speed some write at 30 mb/s where the other write at 45 mb/s it just means you can gain faster access to the memory and also depends on what size photos you wants to take but you would be hard pushed to notice the differance operating the the camera.
Old 21-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Dead Set Legend

The answer is somewhat dependent on how you will use your camera;

If you just plan to shoot large/fine jpegs the Ultra card will be fine.

If you plan to shoot in raw or raw+jpeg you might want the faster write speed of the Extreme cards. This will be particularly noticeable if you want to shoot high resolution bursts in continuous mode.

eg; If you shoot a burst in continuous mode (recording Raw+Jpeg images) your camera will shoot at 4fps until the buffer is full at around 9 images (approx. 32Mb each). It will then take almost 11 seconds to write those images to a really fast SD card (ie Extreme Pro @ 90Mb/s), before you can shoot again. If you have a slower card the write times increase accordingly.

Similarly, if you want to shoot HD video, the Extreme cards (in higher storage capacities, 64Gb XC) will support a minimum sustained recording rate of 20 Mb per second, which is way fast enough to record high res HD video on the card, (but probably overkill for your camera). I'm not sure if the Ultra cards actually support true HD recording, might pay to check, but you would be best to buy a Class10 card as a minimum to avoid the nasty surprise of the video ending randomly.

I think the Extreme cards have more of that wonderful stuff, silicone, to protect against moisture/humidity. A 16Gb Extreme SDHC card should cost you less than $30 and with a max write speed of 60Mb/s will do most things you will need. Be wary of Fleabay cards as stickers are easy to fake I have bought from these guys with no problems.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-S...item3f1ec89317
Old 21-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Blue Lip

Thanks guys.
Video is not a requirement of this camera but high res raw images suitable for publication are.
Extreme it shall be.

Its a work in progress
Old 21-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Mature Bream

SD XC is the way to go mate.
You will be happy, where as you probably wouldn't with anything less than an ultra as said.

Not only does a XC allow quicker access to the camera / card when viewing, depending on the card speeds it will read and write quicker in general (could be viewing/copying anything on to the card from your PC). Cards are most important in this aspect so compare a few if you haven't purchased already.

It will also mean faster transfer speeds off your camera on to your PC, provided your PC does not offer up a bottle neck in receiving those transfer speeds, as well as the ability to blanket open all your photos with preview a lot quicker..

If you need any more suggestions on cards or card buying websites I can link you through a few.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 21-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Poddy Bream

FOR THE BEST PRICES!!

http://www.cheapchips.com.au/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: