Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > WA Bream Classics

Old 19-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Getaway Outdoors Kayak Classic Hobie Round 4 Results

Perfect conditions greeted anglers for the start of the final qualifying Hobie round of the 2016 Getaway Outdoors Kayak Bream Series held at the stunning location of Moore River, located just an hour’s drive North of Perth. Famous for its huge numbers of bream, anglers were going to have to weed through the smaller ones to find the keepers they would need to give the kilo mark a nudge.

With the standard fare of bacon and egg sandwiches and a lunch pack stowed away, 43 anglers hit Silver creek to make their way to the start line. With most having a pretty good pre-fish, the only real choice left was whether to head up or down and whether things would have changed in the last few weeks.

Making the most of not having fished Moore River for two or three years, Ben Hough made the right changes during the day to pull the bites needed to put a nice bag together. Ben was first to weigh in, with his three bream hitting the scales at 1.105kgs to be one of only two bags over kilo for the day.

When asked how the day had gone for him, Ben replied “I didn’t manage to get out for a pre-fish and it’s been a few years since I have been here. So I had to rely on a little bit info passed on to me, which was to fish the deeper holes with softs, so that had me hunting down the deeper sections. I was just doing drifts over the same ground, and I was getting plenty of hits and bumps on the ZMan 2.5” grubz, but I could not convert any of those into hook-ups”.

“So I went back to what I know, and that is hardbodies, so I pushed on and hit the flats opposite the main ramp, but this time I was slow rolling a Zipbait Khamsin Jnr in Carmen Red, just trying to keep the lure in contact with the bottom. The hits started straight away and I finally put a keeper in the well. I was pretty happy with that so just kept doing the same drift, it was still a bit hit and miss but I pinned two more keepers for the day and that was it, I couldn’t stick another fish. So when the guys said they have seen the first person that weighed in hold off the whole field on more than one occasion, I didn’t quite think it could happen”.

“To end up in first is just awesome and I can’t wait to have a crack at the Grand Final”. When asked if he had anyone to thank or anything to add, Ben replied “A big thanks to the organisers and all the competitors, I have been fishing these comps since the very beginning when there would have been maybe six yakkers giving them a go at the start. So to see them grow to fields of 50 plus and the way everyone gets on and help each other out makes them a joy to fish. I have to add a big thanks to my sponsors Compleat Angler Nedlands and Tairyo Rods for all their support”.
Ben used his Tairyo Nanospeed Plus II 1-3kg, matched with a Daiwa Certate 2004. This was loaded with Linesystems Frog 8 PE Braid in 4lb, whilst at the business end of deal was 3lb Sunline Invisable leader.

In second place and also securing a Grand Final berth was Jon Field weighing in three bream for 1.075kg, when asked how the day had gone, Jon replied “It was pretty tough going out there, I did a couple of pre-fishes with Brendon Knowles and we had a lot of fun, caught plenty of fish, but just not so many legals amongst them. So I knew it was going to be tough out there, I pretty much fished my way up past Diamond Island before I turned around and fished my way back down. I was throwing ZMan Slim Swims in Bloodworm and Watermelon Red, and although I didn’t catch a lot of smaller bream I did manage to pin two keepers slowly working the bottom”.

“Then when I was paddling into the creek with five minutes to go and about 20 yaks behind me, I was doing what most of the others were doing pinging a few casts around the place, when I came up tight to what felt like my best fish of the day. After a quick net job, I had an anchor fish to help out my bag. And help it did, that last bream probably took me from the middle of the pack into second place and a berth in the GF”.

When asked if he had anyone to thank, Jon replied “I have to thank Brendon Knowles for dragging me everywhere, he has been a great help and a lot of fun to fish with. Then without doubt the organisers and all the sponsors as without them we really don’t have a series, and then of course to all the other yakkers who make the effort to head to wonderful locations like this”.

John fished with a custom built Matagi Viking Rod, this was matched to a Symetre 1000 reel which was loaded with 4kg Gliss line. Whilst at the business end of the deal was Nitlon 6lb leader.

In third place and no stranger to the podium was Shane Owens, when asked how the day had gone, Shane replied “It was a pretty good day in the end, I pre-fished in the general area of the ramp and did well enough to think I would not be having to paddle to far at all. But in typical fashion I was soon on the hunt as I couldn’t find a good keeper early”.

“I really just worked from the start to the mouth of the river and back again trying to stay 4-5m off the bank so I could fish a little deeper and shallow at the same time. Then I just kept doing the same, I was rotating through two different plastics, being the Bait Breath 2” Rush Craw and the Bait Breath 2” Rockin Crab in the Jelly Prawn and Green Pumpkin colours. The crab was a very slow and subtle roll in the deeper water, with small twitches thrown in, and the Rush Craw was more of let it sit before giving it 4-5 twitches and then letting it sit again. Then I would just repeat the process, I probably pulled 30 fish today, but that is what you had to do to weed out the small ones and come up with a decent weight”.

Shano used 7’2” and 6’8” Gladiator Cyborg rods, these were matched to a Daiwa Freams 2000 and Daiwa Certate 1000 2000. These were matched to 14lb Gosen 8x tournament casting braid, whilst at the business end was 4lb Nitlon leader, Shanes jig head of choice was the gamakatsu round 29 in 1/16th.

When asked if he had anyone to thank Shano replied “A big thanks to the organisers for putting on another quality event, and of course all the other anglers for making the effort to fish. Then of course Gladiator and Tackle HQ who have been tremendous with their support over the last few years, a great place for good advice and some really good gear.

Invitations to Getaway outdoors 2016 Kayak Grand Final to be held in Albany on October 15/16 will be forwarded to qualifiers this week, followed by the wildcards. Albany has a reputation for big bream so some impressive bags will no doubt hit the scales.

A special thanks goes to all the sponsors for their continued support in 2016, Getaway Outdoors, Engel, Shimano, CRC, JML Anglers Alliance, Tackle Tactics, Damiki/Pontoon 21, EJ Todd and Son, Tonic Sunglasses, Hobiecat Australia and Halco. And probably most important of all, thanks to Kate Sewell for feeding the 43 yakkers bacon and eggs before the start, thank you!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winner.jpg (118.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Second.jpg (215.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Third.jpg (210.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BB.jpg (193.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg RD4table.jpg (402.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Nick Cuccovia; 19-09-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: