Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 16-01-2015, 08:00 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickStick View Post
Actually after I tied it once I had it down pat. I seem to just pick up fishing knots really quickly, a little talent of mine haha
You're a better man than me - I tried every method I could find on youtube before settling on a hybrid of a few different techniques
Old 17-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
You're a better man than me - I tried every method I could find on youtube before settling on a hybrid of a few different techniques
Haha as long as you get it eventually. I'm glad I came across the FG knot, it really is far superior to any leader knot I've used before.
Old 21-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Poddy Bream

as of late I've been having issues with the fg, using 6lb and 6lb sun line fc rock bream special fluro, the ball on the leader is breaking of and the half hitches unravel, not sure whats going on, might be a bad batch of leader
Old 21-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Mature Bream

By the ball do you mean you use a lighter to melt the leader? I find i have to do heaps more twists on finer leader and line to make sure it doesnt unravel plus a half dozen more half hitches to finish.
Old 21-01-2015, 07:05 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquid View Post
as of late I've been having issues with the fg, using 6lb and 6lb sun line fc rock bream special fluro, the ball on the leader is breaking of and the half hitches unravel, not sure whats going on, might be a bad batch of leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmaa View Post
By the ball do you mean you use a lighter to melt the leader? I find i have to do heaps more twists on finer leader and line to make sure it doesnt unravel plus a half dozen more half hitches to finish.

I'm the same with light leaders - I do 40 wraps if connecting 4lb to 6lb wheres as if I'm joining 14lb to 20lb I do 26 wraps.(this is probably over kill) One guru I know can get away with 14 wraps in light leaders. Some braids have more grip than others.

When I used to put a bulb on my leader, I would cover the whole knot in spit before the lighter when anywhere near it. I would pinch the main line out of the way with my thumb and fore-finger - so only 5mm of the knot was poking out. I wouldnt let the flame touch the leader either - just keep it away at a short distance and gradually melt the bulb.

But I've found the bulb to be unnecessary once you work out how many wraps your braid requires to get a firm grip. Plus its almost impossible to use a bic lighter with any degree of accuracy out in wind

Last edited by yellow door 1; 21-01-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 21-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
But I've found the bulb to be unnecessary once you work out how many wraps your braid requires to get a firm grip. Plus its almost impossible to use a bic lighter with any degree of accuracy out in wind
I've never melted the leader, first ive seen of it was it the jap vid posted last week. I just kept doing it with increasing amount of wraps till it gripped. Keeps the knot narrower too. I've never had one unravel or slip once i had it grip but have had them slip when tightening/testing after tying the knot.
Old 21-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Blue Lip

I dunno how many wraps i do but the length of the knot is usually about 12-15mm long. How long do your FGs end up being?

Last edited by manno; 21-01-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 21-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Mature Bream

also around that 10-15mm mark. The latest tying 0.6 super pe to 4lb fc rock went 15 at least. Alternatively, tying 0.6 toray to 8lb fc went about 8mm!
Old 23-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Mature Bream

When joining 10lb super pe to 12lb fluoro leader I do 30 wraps, then 4 half hitches, then I cut the leader tag, but not the mainline tag, then I do another 3-4 half hitches to cover the leader tag, then I cut the mainline tag.
Old 23-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Mature Bream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw

You can get fairly fast at tying the FG if you do it this way, I like the idea of melting the end of heavier Leaders- Seeing as I predominately use 10lb and far less I don't bother doing that though I still put 6-8 turns hard up against the butt of the leader with the braid tag end!
Don't be afraid to leave a 2mm tag of braid floating around, you don't notice it and it's almost impossible for it to come loose if tied correctly!
Cheers!
Old 23-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Big Bream

[QUOTE=The Growse;646924]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw

Yep, I used this video to learn how to do the fg knot as well. Now I use nothing else. Usually using it to tied 6lb braid to 4/6 and 8lb leader.
I can even tie it when I'm in my yak now, although I usually tie them the night before at the dining table
Never had one break on me at the knot.
Old 23-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Blue Lip

As I understand it the bulb isn't so much for keeping the knot from unravelling as it is for protecting the braid from the sharp edge of the cut leader. This is more practical when chasing big fish with prolonged fights where the rough edge of the leader can rub and damage the braid. I never burn the leader anymore on my lighter outfits, just haven't needed to
Old 24-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Blue Lip

Used it on ultra light line and got the knot perfect but the fluoro will still break off at the knot, especially hard ones like Sunline etc. I have better luck with other knots like Stren knot or Slim Beauty. Never really likes the FG.
Old 24-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Mature Bream

After you finish your 20-30 wraps and you have locked it off with 5or 6 alternate half hitches. Give the knot a good pull and you will see the braid bite into the leader. Then you can snip the rag end of your leader as close as you can and tie your remaining 6 or so hitches on the main line. I have never had it let go when doing this even heavy stuff.

Probably best bit of info though is alternate half hitches. It makes the finish of the knot far neater.
Old 26-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
Used it on ultra light line and got the knot perfect but the fluoro will still break off at the knot, especially hard ones like Sunline etc. I have better luck with other knots like Stren knot or Slim Beauty. Never really likes the FG.
that shouldnt happen . If your runnign an FG at your mainline learder conenction , and say a uni at your lure end .. then the uni will break first time

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: