View Single Post
Old 18-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVBfishaholic View Post
Hi All
I have had a chat with one of my mates in the US (who was still awake) who fishes FLW tournaments about these Trokar hooks. He has not used them much, but they are supplied by sponsors to some of the guys and he is going to get their opinions for me over the next week or so.
I worked in the US previously and got to know a few of these pro's on the bass tour. I obtain my jig hooks from the US through these contacts.

Trokar Jig Hooks
They are made by Eagle Claw and the main differential is the triangular surgical grind on the point, which EC are claiming, makes them sharper than a chemically sharpened hook.

They are very pricey (cause they are new) and hard to get in smaller sizes. The 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 sizes run at about AU$1.30 per hook retail and the 4/0 has a wire gauge of 1.5mm (About the same as a Gama 604HD)

Below is the tech info and marketing claim:

Ultra premium jig hook with ultra sharp triangular point and black chrome finish.
Trokar Jig Hooks are designed with a unique triangular point to penetrate faster and easier. The three edges are high speed ground to surgical sharpness. The Trokar Jig Hooks are made with high carbon, cold forged steel and heat treated for just the right amount of impact strength and flexibility. Low profile barb for easier penetration yet ultimate holding power. Trokar Jig Hooks are twice as sharp as any other hook on the market.

A couple of pics
Hi All
I have done some investigation into sourcing Trokar hooks to produce jigheads, as well as spoken to my contacts in the US for feedback.

Trokar Jig Hooks are an O'Shaughnessy pattern hook and I can currently get hold of;
  • Trokar TK800 60 degree bend Ultra HD hook 3/0 to 5/0 - US$99.00 per hundred
  • Trokar TK835 60 degree bend Ultra Premium #1 - 6/0 - US$95.00 per hundred
  • Trokar TK840 90 degree bend HD hook 1/0 to 6/0 - US$95.00 per hundred
The above prices are ordering 1000 at a time and include delivery to me in Australia.

Based on these prices and the feedback below I will not be going ahead with purchasing any at this stage. The price is OTT compared with other chem sharpened jighooks - will stick with Gamakatsu and Sickle Black Chrome. I am not convinced that this is not just a marketing ploy by Eagle Claw.

The feedback from the guys on the FLW circuit (who are only using the Trokar trebles) is that they don't see any huge difference, in strength or penetrating power, between the Trokar and other premium chem sharpened trebles such as Owner and Gamakatsu. The view is that they have not found fault with them yet, but they are no "silver bullet"

I would be interested to hear from any of you who do decide to try these hooks out to make jigheads or buy jigheads made on these hooks.