View Single Post
Old 27-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
I personally feel alot of people had enough of their posts being deleted,I did see alot of that happening when i was more active here , and that was a usual complaint , Maybe mods needed to step back and allow a bit more freedom? I understand sometimes its very easy for things to get out of control but really is it that much of an issue ? its a forum.
Can't agree with that Jase, I believe that the reason the forum was so popular, was the fair way that mods dealt with inappropriate content and swearing. The forum was always intended to be a family place and many times I saw posts and threads degenerate to the point they were removed or locked.

Many young kids used/use the forum and it is perfectly reasonable that site owners dealt with the trashy, front bar, pub talk that became increasingly more prevalent before the first time the site crashed. I know many long time users that stopped posting during that time. And I see that quite a few of the FB bream pages that evolved from those disgruntled, have a far higher tolerance of swearing etc.

As Ian has said, the extended time that the site was down was probably the single most influential factor, as FB pages were being created by every man and his dog, and these were far more mobile device friendly in the early days than the BM forum site at that time. Once gone, its hard to get them back, plus the registration issues forced on the site through persistent spam & DOS attacks made it tough for new members to activate easily.

As far as freebies & sponsor product info, BM always had a sister print publication WA Fishing Mag, which was the vehicle for these and there was very little reason to dilute the impact/advertising across another platform.

Unfortunately communication technology changes can not be halted (I really miss telegrams) and there has been far more investment in making mobile platforms user friendly and forums have been the losers, to the instant update nature of other social media.

Get all your mates to write up extended reports of fishing days, testing of new product reviews and a bit more tackle-oneupmanship pieces and see if it makes a difference . It isn't always someone else's job the fix or change.