View Single Post
Old 16-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Blue Lip

G'day Kennedy,

Can't help you out on your location sorry but great idea for a thread.

I think alot of it will be individual dependant and also location will play a big part, but for me it would be flats, deep structure, canals and river banks with plenty of over hanging and submerged structure.

Flats - I will generally throw a shallow/deep crank or minnow, atm I am loving the Damiki DTSCO 40 in Green Goblin and the Pontoon 21 Crackjack 38 in Carmenred and Gold Silver Black Back, although I will throw all colours dependant on water clarity or in an attempt to match the hatch.
I will fish it with a slow roll with the occasional pause followed by 2 quick twitches, another pause then back to a slow roll.

Deep Structure - Really love sinking hardbody minnows, the Pontoon 21 Gagagoon in 45 and 55 are great for this application. Absolutely love the Carmenred/Spanishred and the Gold perch colours.
Basically they should be fished very similar to plastics or blades, with a hop or 2 followed by a pause to let it sink back down. Big thing to remember with these types of lures is to leave a bit of slack line after the cast in order to allow it to sink vertically onto the structure.

Canals - I cannot go past the creature baits and cranks, 2" Damiki Aircraws fished on a light jighead are perfect for this application. Also love the Damiki DTSCO crank and Pontoon 21 Crackjack.
I will skip the plastics at pontoons or hulls and let it sink, followed by a couple of twitches and allowed to sink again. Generally if fishing the cranks or bibbed lures I will use a slow roll with the occasional pause whilst in canals.

River Banks - Again I will use creature baits and Gagagoons, the Aircraws are great to skip in tight to the bank and twitched out, either across the bottom or over the structure itself, trying to imitate little crustaceans or yabbies etc. The Gagagoons are fished the exact same way as the deep structure, be prepared to lose a few but the reward is well worth the risk.

Hopefully this helps out a bit and yes I am slightly biased to the Damiki/Pontoon 21 range but they are great lures that work!! Any questions feel free to ask here or flick me a PM.

Cheers Kyle

www.searingtackle.com.au