View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I'm a very ordinary caster. I'm sure I have many faults as I was only self taught. The thing is though, I can manage to cast a reasonable distance, usually far enough to get the job done at least and sometimes I can even be fairly accurate too, but most importantly I only rarely pin myself with my fly these days.

I was fly casting on the flats at Marlo one day and a young guy flicking lures worked his way along the bank towards me. We spoke for a while. I was feeling a little embarrassed about my lousy casting and I was surprised when he said, "I was watching you and man, it looks so graceful". I impressed someone at least, but I'm sure my ordinary casting wouldn't be very impressive to an experienced flyfisherman.

If I was you, I would just give it a go. The worst thing that might happen is that you could ingrain some basic faults into your casting technique. You might turn out to be a natural and you only get better with practice.
Agree, have a go google Lefty Kreh he is an excellent teacher, would have made learning a lot faster had youtube been around.

Spent hours developing skills to long cast and caught everything within the length of the fly line!! Did not even have to shoot backing for tuna or salmon.
Key to salt water is stealth, need to be as water smart in the brine as the fresh.