View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy96 View Post
Where I fish the pike only get to about 50cm so I tend to lock the drag up and give them a good yank towards the boat before they get too much of a chance to bite me off. As for lures you can't go past an 80mm Squidgy Wriggler in bloodworm for simplicity. Rig it on a 1 gram or resin jig head for water less than 2m 2 gram for water 2m+. Simply let the lure sink to the bottom (indicated when the line goes slack) then use the rod tip to impart action (If the rod moves 20cm so does your lure) then wind up slack. My personal favourite retreive is just a simple double twitch.

When you fish light jigheads the lure sinks slowly which is ideal for bream as you will find they take the lure on the drop. Sometimes this will be indicated by the slightest tap in the line (line bite) or by the rod almost being reefed from your hands. Either way it is important to strike at the fish to ensure a good hook up and to also help prevent deep (gut and gills) hookings.

As for line 4lb flurocarbon leader and 4lb braid will see you through most situations, however certain loactions might require you to go heavier or lighter.
Good luck
When you say ÃDohf the rod tip moves 20cm' is that about right for bream or smaller movements?