View Single Post
Old 30-07-2013, 06:53 AM
Blue Lip

I've done most of the things that you've mentioned. I work in the fishing tackle industry, I've worked in retail, I've managed retail stores and I've got about 12 months left on my University degree.

I can 100% tell you that my degree is the thing that I am most passionate about...I thought I'd love selling fishing tackle and accessories but to be frank I find it slow and boring...I like a challenge and an upbeat job to keep me interested - leisure retail isn't that.

That's not to say I don't like my job nor that I don't see a future in it but as a retail sales person it is a bit of a dead end career - I really don't mean to offend anybody that enjoys it but the above is my opinion.

There are opportunities on the horizon within the fishing/camping world with some bigger over seas companies looking to move into Australia which will improve competition and make more opportunities within the industry.

I finished year 12 and got a solid UAI, enough to qualify for my Environmental degree straight out of year 12 but I chose to take a gap year and it took my 6 years to get back to it.

I went back to Uni as a so called mature age student, married and with a mortage - I can tell you 100% that doing Uni would be much easier when your 18 and no commitments other than a part time job..

my advice is so stay at school, maybe look at changing subjects to something that you have an interest in - if you love fishing why not look at a fisheries science degree and pick up subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Environmental science - that's a walk up start to most science degree's in the future...

www.crankalures.com