Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Trolling Motors (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   mercury electric (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635)

rodmy 25-01-2003 03:32 AM

mercury electric

I came across some electric motors made by Mercury,

compact in size 300 to 400 $s in price any one had any experience with these motors?

madaff 25-01-2003 06:08 AM

For the dollars they are very good. I had a 20lb motor about 8 years ago and cost me $229. It lasted for about 3 years and did it's job very well. They are manufactored by Motor Guide who make that largest range of motors. I have seen the new models that Mercury have and they have done some work on them, they actual look very good and I would not any problem buying another.

I don't know if the are saltwater models, but then again nor was the one I purchased. Just keep them clean and they should be fine.

Big Muddie 25-01-2003 08:51 AM

I understand that saltwater motorguides are either here now or not far away.

If you intend to use a motorguide in the salt, then wait for the saltwater models because using the non-salwater models in salt will void the warranty. Of course you may want to take that chance - personally I wouldn't as it would be a sure bet that something would go wrong - LOL. But that's just me.

Ozy 25-01-2003 09:21 AM

Mercury/Motorguide

I have a 36lb Mercury Thruster which pushes and pulls my 3.75 tinny around all day very well running off a 75 amp hour deep cycle battery.

It cost me around $400 6 mths ago.

Mercury Thrusters are made by Motorguide and are suited for the saltwater and are warranted as such and I have also put an anode on the shaft just to be sure :D.

The Motorguide badged electrics are only for freshwater and as said already not warranted in the salty stuff, there is however if not already here a saltwater series coming out in Oz.

I know guys who have had Minn Kota Enduras (freshwater model) in the salt for years and have been fine as long as they are rinsed off and looked after.

Dave W 26-01-2003 03:25 AM

My Minn-Kota is a freshwater model, and half it's life (maybe more) has been spent in salt - I've never had a problem, and 5 years down the track it's still going strong:)

I always give it a good rinse / lube and I hope to get a few more years out of it.

trav 27-01-2003 05:18 AM

Guys l have spent the last few days trying my new Great White Motor Guide (salt water) so far so good heaps of power and the bracket is so strong they really do perform.....Motor guide have become so popular here in QLD they really are streaks ahead in sales over all others.

The energy and competition motor guides that have been around for the last six months have become very popular out selling all others and the fact is they are freah water with an anode and a bit of looking after they will last as long as a salt model if not longer...

As far as warranty goes if you happen to have any trouble with these motors it will not be caused by salt water,with cable steering there is not much to go wrong insdie them....

Minn Kota are the same they sponsor anglers with maxxums(fresh water) so they dont see the problem with theirs either,becuase these anglers spend a huge amount of time if not 100 percent of their time in salt....

The thrusters are salt water and are avaliable in 25 pound through to 48 pound,these are rated to salt water and l see nothing different from the standard motor guides....

Good fishing

trav

Matt Ireland 29-01-2003 08:59 PM

maintenance

when using the freshwater electric in salt what maintenance do you use, other than just hosing them down after use?

kevinnugent59 29-01-2003 09:18 PM

Re: maintenance

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Ireland
when using the freshwater electric in salt what maintenance do you use, other than just hosing them down after use?
I give mine a good spray over the metallic bits with a lanolin spray.

Kevin

trav 30-01-2003 05:49 AM

matt there are a few things guys do to maintain there motors (cable steer) weather it be a salt or freshwater motor.

One is grease the bearings that control the turning of the shaft half way up the shaft,the other is take the top off and spray the connections with a protective spray and the last thing is fit a anode to the base of the shaft ($12.00) then just a spray and towel down and all will be sweeeeeeet....

trav

madaff 30-01-2003 06:16 AM

With regards to the anoide be sure not to spray the metal with any kind of chemical. Just keep the anoide clean with soapy water. If you coat the anoide with CRC or anything along those lines the anoide will not do it's job, it will be next to usless and the corrosion will start somewhere else.

Chris_Macca 12-02-2003 06:41 AM

How much are the ones with the foot pedal?

Cheers

______
Chris ;)

Craig_S 12-02-2003 09:21 AM

54lb cable steer Energy series bow mount EF54V available from Portside Marine in Fremantle for $850.

Check the Mercury Marine site for your local dealer.

Ravin 12-02-2003 06:45 PM

I just had an MG Energy series bow mount fitted yesterday to my Hornet :D Goes well but will take a little while to get used to the cable steering :D I have just got back from zig zagging all over the place :D :D :cool:

kevinnugent59 12-02-2003 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ravin
I just had an MG Energy series bow mount fitted yesterday to my Hornet :D Goes well but will take a little while to get used to the cable steering :D I have just got back from zig zagging all over the place :D :D :cool:
The problem with the MG, or the VB?

:)

Kevin

Chris_Macca 12-02-2003 10:17 PM

LOL :D