Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Reels (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Daiwa Exceler LT reels - whaddya reckon (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68146)

yellow door 1 17-03-2018 04:02 AM

Daiwa Exceler LT reels - whaddya reckon

2 Attachment(s)
10kg of drag out of a 205g reel

https://www.facebook.com/tacklejunki...3426305230213/

If you hunt around on Ebay you can get them for under $100

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fishing-...V9nNQOXCZO4PAQ

Mark M 17-03-2018 05:00 AM

Spool size

2 Attachment(s)
This is an interesting move by Daiwa to more closely align spool size with the competition.
Attachment 113568

10kgs of drag on a 2500, I hope that "light but tough" moniker isn't all spin (so to speak) :D

Notice that DA don't have the 2500D XH (ratio 6.2:1) on the Oz site.
and they have their handles on the correct side :p
Attachment 113569

Exceler for < $100 looks pretty good BFL.

BloodWorm 17-03-2018 05:25 AM

They are very nice, managed to win one a few weeks ago. It is all spooled up ready for a trip next weekend. As you have said it is great that the size now is more aligned to other brands. I have a 2500 size and it is awesome.

yellow door 1 17-03-2018 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 690755)

10kgs of drag on a 2500, I hope that "light but tough" moniker isn't all spin (so to speak) :D

Yeah hopefully they dont use the same "Light" drag plates as they use in the freams;)

yellow door 1 17-03-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodWorm (Post 690756)
They are very nice, managed to win one a few weeks ago. It is all spooled up ready for a trip next weekend. As you have said it is great that the size now is more aligned to other brands. I have a 2500 size and it is awesome.

Yeah a mate just bought one so I'll see how his survives the Jewie season.

If they live up to the hype - they look like my dream reel;)

Slazmo 17-03-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 690755)
and they have their handles on the correct side :p

LH side is the right side 👍

Probably going to be lynched for saying it - but too much tech "borrowed" from Shimano, the new ShimDaiwa Exist hmm...

Not a good move IMHO.

Mark M 17-03-2018 08:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow door 1 (Post 690757)
Yeah hopefully they dont use the same "Light" drag plates as they use in the freams;)

Attachment 113571

I think they have done away with the gold tinfoil clicker plate Larry, looks like a proper washer & plate stack now....Slazmo will be pleased :p

Slazmo 17-03-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 690762)
I think they have done away with the gold tinfoil clicker plate Larry, looks like a proper washer & plate stack now....Slazmo will be pleased :p

Especially when it deformed around the ID keying to the spool support...

Just too much to go wrong with a thin pressed aluminum pressure plate, especially when those cool kids push them well beyond their design drag ratings.

And the scoring from the drag knobs... argh!

Going light, well lighter than before means something has to compromise weight.

yellow door 1 17-03-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 690762)
Attachment 113571

that does look good

matt jorg 18-03-2018 06:40 AM

I got a 3000 exceler about 6 weeks ago. I have only spooled it up and used it about 5 times and it’s already a bit geary to wind. I put a bit of pressure on it skulling small squid up my wharf and my son has used it for plastics on a few small flatties.
It was a butter smooth $300 plus feel out of the box but now it’s definitely a $140 reel.

yellow door 1 19-03-2018 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt jorg (Post 690779)
I got a 3000 exceler about 6 weeks ago. I have only spooled it up and used it about 5 times and it’s already a bit geary to wind. I put a bit of pressure on it skulling small squid up my wharf and my son has used it for plastics on a few small flatties.
It was a butter smooth $300 plus feel out of the box but now it’s definitely a $140 reel.

Yeah I'm considering wearing earphones when using Daiwa reels these days;) I'll still be able to feel the roughness but the banging tunes will drown out the noise;)

sevric 23-03-2018 03:47 PM

I will be most interested to see how the new LT versions of the Daiwa range perform in the long term. They look the goods on paper but the real world is a very different place. As they have not been available for all that long it is kinda hard to assess their durability so if anyone has been giving one a fair flogging please let us all know. Recently i was put off purchasing one of the LT range as i was skeptical of the power to weight ratio (it was for larger snapper) as well as the price point. I had been looking at the new SOL which has this LT design but for the money there were other proven reels to choose from. I liked the weight, sceptical of the power and horrified by the price.

CK 23-03-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevric (Post 690821)
for the money there were other proven reels to choose from.

So its not just me then.

scottmc88 23-03-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevric (Post 690821)
I will be most interested to see how the new LT versions of the Daiwa range perform in the long term. They look the goods on paper but the real world is a very different place. As they have not been available for all that long it is kinda hard to assess their durability so if anyone has been giving one a fair flogging please let us all know. Recently i was put off purchasing one of the LT range as i was skeptical of the power to weight ratio (it was for larger snapper) as well as the price point. I had been looking at the new SOL which has this LT design but for the money there were other proven reels to choose from. I liked the weight, sceptical of the power and horrified by the price.

Have a look on digitaka. They have the new freams and caldia LT which are half the price of the Sol.

sevric 24-03-2018 11:04 PM

The durability of the LT versioned reels is a concern to me along with the SOL Price point. I guess we will all have to wait for Yellow door to post up an Allan Hawk styled review, should be a good read :D