Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motors (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   30Hp Yamaha, 3 cylinder (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43991)

leachy 25-03-2012 08:52 PM

30Hp Yamaha, 3 cylinder

I am looking at replacing my Yamaha CV25 with something a little more refined (electric start). I am not really interested in E-Tec or 4 stroke, to expensive to the fuel saving and the extra weight to power ratio, plus most of the time I am at least 3/4 throttle and then on the electric. I see that there is a 30hp, 3 cylinder but only available with electric start and trim in the remote version. Just wondering if any one has had any experience with converting such a motor to tiller steer but keeping all the extras.

Backlashed 29-03-2012 05:01 AM

Why dont you just order a 30DMHL (Long shaft) or 30DMHS (Short shaft) and fit electric start to it?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/produ...d-power/10-30d

Seriously though, its not that hard to pull start these outboards.. I rarely have to pull my 40 more than 3 times if its been sitting for a while, and it starts first pull once I'm on the water..

leachy 29-03-2012 06:03 AM

Hi Backlashed

I was not sure if it was possible as I have looked into this for the CV 25 and it is not possible. The CV is ok once its warm but if it happens to fire when pulling the cord the kick back is pretty huge and painful. My mate has one on his boat and yes it does seem to start really easily.

Regards
Leachy

Backlashed 31-03-2012 06:10 PM

Electric start was an option when I bought my 40 many years ago..

Maybe you should have a talk with your local Yamaha dealer, and see what they have to say..

leachy 10-04-2012 01:35 AM

Yeah its an option on the CV40 but not the 30 or 25 even though its looks like its got all the mounting as it can be a remote steering and throttle but no electric start.

Tablets 10-04-2012 01:45 AM

I have had a couple of Yamaha 2 stroke pull start versions, and they are pretty good to start, even brought a friends tinny back from their holiday house that had sat around for 3 years and never started, it was a 15hp 2 stroke, put in new fuel, 6 goes and it fired up. For the 30 DMH I would just go pull start. As for a conversion, best to speak to your local Yammy dealer, let us know if it can be done.

leachy 10-04-2012 02:04 AM

It starts pretty easy except for a real cold morning for the first time after sitting for a few weeks, needs about 6-7 good goes then. The issue is the compression is pretty high, the engine is in good condition, not real that old and if it kicks which it has on occasion its painful. Once its been run once for the day it only requires half a pull to start but again the compression is pretty high. My brother in law has a CV30 but his doesn't seem as high a compression as mine, again a bit of an arse to start for the first time. I think its that fact is a relatively large displacement for only being 25HP.

Its not financially a viable option, it would cost the value of the motor to sort something out. better to spend it on a 3 cylinder 30HP, much easier to start.

breambucket 24-06-2012 09:20 AM

Hey mate not sure if this helps but I have a spare tiller steer handle to suit the 40hp 3cyl motor with trim switch and forward/reverse leaver on the arm. I could post some pics of it and possibly sell if your interested
I bought it as I broke my first one but never used it because I ended up just fixing it (fell out of the boat at speed only thing I had to grab onto lol)

In any case I'll just take some pics tomorrow

Pete

leachy 27-06-2012 07:32 PM

Hi Pete

For the moment I have decided to persist with mine, doing a house extension cuts into a fishing budget. I am actually thinking of upgrading the whole boat and putting the extra 3K towards that.

Regards
Leachy

leachy 20-08-2012 05:53 AM

Well I ended up changing my mind again as I found a relly good secondhand motor. I took the book for a run on the weekend and the Yamaha 3 cylinder is a world away from their CV model engines. The motor is so much quieter, smoother and economical. The boat run at 25 knots at half throttle

T.N.A.M 21-08-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leachy (Post 483663)
Well I ended up changing my mind again as I found a relly good secondhand motor. I took the book for a run on the weekend and the Yamaha 3 cylinder is a world away from their CV model engines. The motor is so much quieter, smoother and economical. The boat run at 25 knots at half throttle

Good choice leachy 3 cylinders are hard to kill and
not much can go wrong with them at all.
Cvs are crap but make good anchors and reefs

j