Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bream Anglers Tavern (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Fish wings - Who's into em (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68475)

yellow door 1 30-11-2018 02:32 AM

Fish wings - Who's into em

2 Attachment(s)
I'd always chucked them out with the head until I went to W.A. and was shown what the locals do with them.

Mark M 30-11-2018 04:45 AM

Yup

and how good does that flesh close to the bone taste

yellow door 1 30-11-2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 693363)
and how good does that flesh close to the bone taste

You'd be surprised how many Victorians take the fillets and chuck away the best parts of the fish.

Green Hornet 30-11-2018 04:46 PM

I started doing this with flathead then quickly adopted it to all fish I keep.
One or two make a great snack the following day.

Ratbags 01-12-2018 07:09 PM

I changed the way I fillet fish just keep the wings. Wings & cheeks are the best bits, Larry you should keep the heads as well or at least take out the cheeks ;)

yellow door 1 01-12-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratbags (Post 693403)
I changed the way I fillet fish just keep the wings. Wings & cheeks are the best bits, Larry you should keep the heads as well or at least take out the cheeks ;)

Yeah when I bake them whole I mine the heads for nuggets but I'm guilty of leaving the head behind on some occasions.

yellow door 1 12-01-2019 07:07 AM

Intersting point about the slime

Seal1 13-01-2019 11:27 PM

Yeah, put a fair number of snapper wings into fish curries, where they go well.

Seal1 13-01-2019 11:43 PM

Fish frames on a bbq hot plate have been a fav for years. A drizzle of simple oil, salt and pepper is all that's needed, but can add garlic and chilli if so desired. Crispy and delicious flesh, which goes down especially well with a cold beer. From memory I've done; snapper, southern bluefin tuna, spanish mackerel, coral trout, various emperor, freshwater trout and others for sure.

yellow door 1 14-01-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seal1 (Post 693820)
Fish frames on a bbq hot plate have been a fav for years. A drizzle of simple oil, salt and pepper is all that's needed, but can add garlic and chilli if so desired. Crispy and delicious flesh, which goes down especially well with a cold beer. From memory I've done; snapper, southern bluefin tuna, spanish mackerel, coral trout, various emperor, freshwater trout and others for sure.

Yeah its relatively new to me but I wish I'd known about it sooner.

I'm not sure if you saw this vid in the other thread but its a pretty comprehensive look on how to break down a snapper into its edible parts

Seal1 06-02-2019 06:49 AM

Yep, seen it.

Particularly like the tip on removing wings from the gill apex. I'd managed it a few times by accident with a knife but wasn't paying enough attention to make a proper mental note and repeat with confidence. :o So, I'd been resorting to the use of poultry shears.